Dog Ate Chocolate Mudcake

Zereuloh

Dont panic, the amount of actual chocolate in the cake will not be as much as solid chocolate. The chocolate component can act like caffeine, so there might be some accelerated heart beat and some nausea. I am not sure what help there is to offer at this time of night - or even if you are still up.

Plenty of dogs have snuck the odd bit of chocolate with no adverse reactions. But just keep an eye on the heart rate and for any signs that might warrant a late night trip the an emergency vet.

I need to know why chocolate mud cake is in the rubbish bin at all :laugh:

lol! Happy to answer, it was my daughters 1st birthday party on the weekend, and also the local agri show was on! I've been making decorated novelty cakes for a while now so I decided to enter a cake into the show for the first time ever(which I got first, and also most outstanding exhibit overall :D) so we had an overabundance of cake for few of us that were actually here lol. The cake he got was the very last couple of slices of the left over birthday cake which had gone stale from sitting on the bench after we were all caked out. lol

Jolie my 5.5kg Iggy once at an entire block of chocolate and another time she stole and ate a large bag of Maltesers. She didn't even get an upset tummy! She is so naughty! It seems that some dogs are affected by only a little bit of chocolate, while others can eat a lot and be fine.

Most 'chocolate' doesn't contain enough chocolate to do harm. And a lot of those "poisonous to dogs' warnings are kinda iffy. I had 7 acres of pinot noir grapes for a couple years. The dogs browsed them and consumed huge amounts of drops during harvest. Not so much as a stinky fart or a tummy rumble. I tried the question out on a viticulture website and found that many many grape growers have dogs and almost all allow their dogs to sample the crop. No one reported problems. I don't want to say no human foods are dangerous to dogs. But there are a lot of people who like making mountains out of molehills.

• 2 weeks later...

Most 'chocolate' doesn't contain enough chocolate to do harm. And a lot of those "poisonous to dogs' warnings are kinda iffy. I had 7 acres of pinot noir grapes for a couple years. The dogs browsed them and consumed huge amounts of drops during harvest. Not so much as a stinky fart or a tummy rumble. I tried the question out on a viticulture website and found that many many grape growers have dogs and almost all allow their dogs to sample the crop. No one reported problems. I don't want to say no human foods are dangerous to dogs. But there are a lot of people who like making mountains out of molehills.

I agree, my old JRTx once broke out of the house and went on his own easter egg hunt, foil and all :laugh: It was milk chocolate and he ate a fair bit of it! He didn't miss a beat, other than pretty turds, this was before the warnings about chocolate, he also lived on a lot of our leftovers which were laden with garlic and onion. He lived until he was 17.

I would only be concerned if a dog ate a lot of dark chocolate and the higher the cocoa percentage, the more worried I would be.