How Do You Pronounce...

Pretty Miss Emma

I hate it too.

Saying English Staffordshire Bull Terrier is like saying Australian, Victorian Bull Terrier. :laugh:

No English!!

Me three....

On the weekend when someone asked what kind of dog I had - I said a Stafford. Oh a staffy they say, American or English? I said no he is not an Amstaff, he is a staffordshire bull terrier..... And they are like, so an English staffy then?...... No just an SBT!

Very annoying.

I have to admit, I do do this, but for a reason. I work in a pet store, and when I have to size harnesses or help people remember how big their dogs are (without the dog being there) I often ask what type of dog they have....common answer is "staffy". Now, with the demographic in this area that could be either Staffordshire or Amstaff and I will prompt with "English or Amstaff?" if they can't tell me a rough weight or size. If I were to just stay "STB or Amstaff?" I would get blank looks. Seriously, we've had people coming in telling us about the wonderful new breed that's not in Australia yet....the...wait for it...Pomsky. Pom x husky. I shudder when I hear it (they're not talking to me, so I don't interject).

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On our stalls people will ask me if something is going to fit their dog (like I have a clue!) and I have a stuffed display dog, bright blue, of no particular heritage. I ask them to hold it and tell me if it feels about right. We then use 'Bluey' as a guide to how big/small their dog is. Most people have no clue about the size of their dog and imagine it is far bigger than it really is.

I must confess that I tend to call anything with ticking that lives on a farm a cattle dog. Oh dear....

Edited by Little Gifts

I have to admit, I do do this, but for a reason. I work in a pet store, and when I have to size harnesses or help people remember how big their dogs are (without the dog being there) I often ask what type of dog they have....common answer is "staffy". Now, with the demographic in this area that could be either Staffordshire or Amstaff and I will prompt with "English or Amstaff?" if they can't tell me a rough weight or size. If I were to just stay "STB or Amstaff?" I would get blank looks. Seriously, we've had people coming in telling us about the wonderful new breed that's not in Australia yet....the...wait for it...Pomsky. Pom x husky. I shudder when I hear it (they're not talking to me, so I don't interject).

The picture going around the internet of an "Adult Pomsky that forever looks like a puppy" is actually a Finnish Lapphund pup... Yup. Go the Internet!

Weim is pronounced like the word "why", so why-ma-rah-ner, although Weimaraner and Rottweiler should technically be pronounced the German way where the w is pronounced like a v.

Lol no, this is not true. We do pronounce W as W. We do have a letter v in German you know :laugh: I think you may have watched too many movies with bad German accents in them...

F is generally pronounced the same as V though. In words that is. The letter itself is pronounced "eff" the letter V is pronounced "vow" :confused:

Edited by BlackJaq

Weim is pronounced like the word "why", so why-ma-rah-ner, although Weimaraner and Rottweiler should technically be pronounced the German way where the w is pronounced like a v.

Lol no, this is not true. We do pronounce W as W. We do have a letter v in German you know :laugh: I think you may have watched too many movies with bad German accents in them...

F is generally pronounced the same as V though. In words that is. The letter itself is pronounced "eff" the letter V is pronounced "vow" :confused:

I know there is a letter v, I'm not an idiot. Apologies if I was incorrect but I was told that by a German friend, not from a movie. I'll have to ask her why she'd lie to me!

Edited by Aussie3

So BlackJaq do you mean it's not actually pronounced Rott-vy-ler? :confused:

Nope, pronounced with a W not V.

Aussie3, I am not sure why your friend would tell you this.... Presumably she has some kind of local dialect or something she is referring to? I will see if I can find some youtube video or similar to demonstrate the pronounciation