How Do You Pronounce...

Pretty Miss Emma

There are some breeds that have names that I've never been taught how to pronounce, so I just do my best! Can you please spell out phonetically how to pronounce these names if you are knowledgable on the pronunication!! And if you'd like to add to the list please do so (including the names that should be a little more easy to figure out but people always get wrong!!)!!

Maremma

Lowchen

Finnish Lapphund

Azawahk

Keeshond

Basset Fauve de Bretagne

Bouvier des Flandres

Petit (and Grand) Basset Griffon Vendeen

Dogue de Bordeaux

Griffon Burxellois

Schipperke

Xoloitzcuintle

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have a go at a few of them for you :)

Basset Fauve de Bretagne = Bassay Foe-ve de Bretanya (the Fau in Fauve is pronounced like foe)

Dogue de Bourdeaux = Dogue is pronounced like doe with a 'g' sound on the end. Bourdeaux = Boar doe

Griffon Bruxellois = Broo sel wah

Schipperke = skipper key

Xoloitzcuintle = show low eats kweent lee

Maremma = mar-Emma 'Mar' pronounced like 'bar' and 'Emma' as in the name)

And just to get one of my bugbears out of the way even though not on your list (as it seems it is rare a ring steward can even pronounce this....)

Pyrenean Mountain Dog = pir-an-ee-an !!!!!

(there is no Pyro or Knees in their name please!!!)

Pyroknees :rofl:

Since another one of these threads where Rotti people confirmed that it's Rott-why-ler not Rott-wheeler I can only say that way even though everyone I work with says Rott-wheeler. I think they think I'm weird :(

Oh, we do actually work with dogs, not just chat about Rottis a lot :)

Finish Lap hoond.

Lots of different pronunciations for Lowchen, most common seems to be Low (as in rowdy) Shen.

PBGV = Pet-ee bassay griff-ON VON-day-ON (how I was told to pronounce it anyway) (btw, translation is Small Wirehaired Basset type dog from the Vendeen region of France! :) ).

Or you could be like Mr Ellz at an aggie show last year, totally fed up to the gills from explaining that our dog was a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, NOT an American Staffordshire BULL Terrier or an ENGLISH Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Bogan woman asked "what is that?" waving in general direction of dog. Mr Ellz replies without blinking "a dog".........

I :eek: and then :rofl:

Or you could be like Mr Ellz at an aggie show last year, totally fed up to the gills from explaining that our dog was a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, NOT an American Staffordshire BULL Terrier or an ENGLISH Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Bogan woman asked "what is that?" waving in general direction of dog. Mr Ellz replies without blinking "a dog".........

:thumbsup: Go Mr Ellz!

Pyroknees :rofl:

Since another one of these threads where Rotti people confirmed that it's Rott-why-ler not Rott-wheeler I can only say that way even though everyone I work with says Rott-wheeler. I think they think I'm weird :(

Oh, we do actually work with dogs, not just chat about Rottis a lot :)

I would estimate that around 85% of people who phone to ask us about our dogs pronounce it Rott-wheeler, it's a really common mistake and I inwardly shudder every time I hear it. Although, it's not as bad as the Rock-wheeler :eek: Unfortunately we hear that one all too often as well!

:thumbsup: Go Mr Ellz!

:laugh: and of course, you know Mr Ellz, so you can just see him saying it too right? :D

I've got a new pronunciation too...... Staffordshire Bull Terrier is NOT pronounced "Staffy". :bolt: