How Do You Pronounce...

Pretty Miss Emma

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rainey is spot on with the Fauves! :thumbsup:

And it translates to Low Fawn Dog from Brittany.

Basset simply means low and you can have, apparently a basset chair or table etc. There is also (though not here in Australia) a Griffon Fauve De Bretagne which is a tall Fauve.

How come Fauves are 'Bretange' but the other famous breed from Brittany is a L'Epagneul Breton... Why aren't they Bretons too? (Genuine question) :)

Rainey is spot on with the Fauves! :thumbsup:

And it translates to Low Fawn Dog from Brittany.

Basset simply means low and you can have, apparently a basset chair or table etc. There is also (though not here in Australia) a Griffon Fauve De Bretagne which is a tall Fauve.

How come Fauves are 'Bretange' but the other famous breed from Brittany is a L'Epagneul Breton... Why aren't they Bretons too? (Genuine question) :)

Absolutely no idea..... :laugh: Will see if any of my European friends know but I suspect it is just one of "those" anomalies. ETA - According to Wikipedia Bretagne, Breton and Brittany are the same thing.

A further edit - "The word "Brittany", and its French, Breton and Gallo equivalents "Bretagne", "Breizh" and "Bertaèyn" derive from the Latin Britannia, which means "Britons' land". "

Edited by Trisven13

Bretagne is the noun, ie proper name for Brittany, whereas Breton is the adjective, or a person (or thing) native to Brittany :D

Also, I have to take issue with some of the pronunciations of Lowchen posted here, it is actually German for 'little lion' & would have an umlaut over the 'o' in German making it 'lurv- chen'. The 'chen' part (a diminutive in the German language) is difficult to explain phonetically.... it comes from the throat & is not really 'shen' but that's the closest I can get without getting into the uvular & the velar unvoiced fricative :eek:

Edited by trifecta

Bretagne is the noun, ie proper name for Brittany, whereas Breton is the adjective, or a person (or thing) native to Brittany :D

Also, I have to take issue with some of the pronunciations of Lowchen posted here, it is actually German for 'little lion' & would have an umlaut over the 'o' in German making it 'lurv- chen'. The 'chen' part (a diminutive in the German language) is difficult to explain phonetically it comes from the throat & is not really 'shen' but that's the closest I can get without getting into the uvular & the velar unvoiced fricative :eek:

Wow I did not know it was German. Now that I am pronouncing it German-like my world is shattered as I always assumed it was "lau-chen" hahaha

Maybe youtube has a video explaining how this sounds in German, too, otherwise I might have to record it.... :laugh:

ETA: This is how I'd assumed it is pronounced:

:rofl:

Edited by BlackJaq

Also, I have to take issue with some of the pronunciations of Lowchen posted here, it is actually German for 'little lion' & would have an umlaut over the 'o' in German making it 'lurv- chen'. The 'chen' part (a diminutive in the German language) is difficult to explain phonetically it comes from the throat & is not really 'shen' but that's the closest I can get without getting into the uvular & the velar unvoiced fricative :eek:

Wow I did not know it was German. Now that I am pronouncing it German-like my world is shattered as I always assumed it was "lau-chen" hahaha

Maybe youtube has a video explaining how this sounds in German, too, otherwise I might have to record it.... :laugh:

Please do! German pronunciation is interesting biggrin.gif

It's not quite a V blackjaq, it's kind of half way between a W and a v. :)

Yep, good way to put it - for Rottweiler, it is sort of a soft sounding V.

The rottweiler is named after the town of Rottweil, which to us English people, sounds a bit like Rottvyle.

Rott-vy-ler :)

This is how I pronounce it and people always look at me like I am stupid ! Thank you !

Same :laugh:

You see their brain ticking over for a few seconds, then it sinks in what I have said and they just move on.

I know it actually is vy-ler but is why-ler forgivable? They already think I'm weird just for that!! :o

Yep, both are perfectly acceptable. Not many outside the breed would say "vy" :)

I found the Löwe pronounciation, but can't find the Löwchen one anywhere, not even in a German breed portrait or anything :(

http://de.forvo.com/word/l%C3%B6we/#de (push one of the blue play buttons, there are two separate samples)

-chen is a pretty difficult sound to explain, too.. Can't find a recording of it either

I think this site explains it quite well, BJ

http://www.lowchenclubofcanada.com/low4.html

The way most people say Lowchen is the anglicised version as explained in the above.

I probably say it differently, having a knowledge of German. For instance I would say German Spitz as 'schpitz' & I say Schnauzer as 'schnowtser' - as you know the German 'z' is prounced 'tz'.

As for Groenendael, which I have, I feel a bit of a pedantic twat pronouncing it in Flemish / Dutch with the guttural 'gr'

http://www.forvo.com/word/groenendael/

so I just use the anglicised version 'GROAN-en-darl' :laugh:

Getting back to breeds with German names, it is amazing how many Germanic breeds there are:

Affenpinscher

Dachshund

Dobermann

(German & Miniature) Pinscher

German Spitz (Mittel & Klein)

Large Munsterlander

Leonberger

Lowchen

Pomeranian (E. Germany / N. Poland)

Poodle (Pudel) not French as we are lead to believe!

Rottweiler

Schnauzer

Weimaraner

..... I am sure there are others :)

Belgium Shepherd.

Every. Single. Time. (for non doggie people)

It's Belgian Shepherd!!

Although I am impressed that the people know the origin and don't say German Shepherd :)

I think you buy those Belgium Shepherds from the same kennel as the Burmese Mountain Dogs, right?. :mad

I found the Löwe pronounciation, but can't find the Löwchen one anywhere, not even in a German breed portrait or anything :(

http://de.forvo.com/word/l%C3%B6we/#de (push one of the blue play buttons, there are two separate samples)

-chen is a pretty difficult sound to explain, too.. Can't find a recording of it either

I think this site explains it quite well, BJ

http://www.lowchencl...a.com/low4.html

The way most people say Lowchen is the anglicised version as explained in the above.

I probably say it differently, having a knowledge of German. For instance I would say German Spitz as 'schpitz' & I say Schnauzer as 'schnowtser' - as you know the German 'z' is prounced 'tz'.

As for Groenendael, which I have, I feel a bit of a pedantic twat pronouncing it in Flemish / Dutch with the guttural 'gr'

http://www.forvo.com/word/groenendael/

so I just use the anglicised version 'GROAN-en-darl' :laugh:

Getting back to breeds with German names, it is amazing how many Germanic breeds there are:

Affenpinscher

Dachshund

Dobermann

(German & Miniature) Pinscher

German Spitz (Mittel & Klein)

Large Munsterlander

Leonberger

Lowchen

Pomeranian (E. Germany / N. Poland)

Poodle (Pudel) not French as we are lead to believe!

Rottweiler

Schnauzer

Weimaraner

..... I am sure there are others :)

Every time I say these either out loud or in my head, there will probably be a bad german accent now attached.

Belgium Shepherd.

It's Belgian Shepherd!!

Although I am impressed that the people know the origin and don't say German Shepherd :)

I think you buy those Belgium Shepherds from the same kennel as the Burmese Mountain Dogs, right?. :mad

Yes they have Dashhounds too!

Belgium Shepherd.

It's Belgian Shepherd!!

Yes they have Dashhounds too!

Actually, that's another one that I hear multiple pronunciations on. My Nan has a dachshund and the way she pronounces it drives me nutty, but I've heard several ways.

So, phonetic pronunciation of dachshund, anyone?