Problem With My Dog's Eye...what Could This Be?

I just managed to get Jessie to eat a little bit! :cheer: I mashed up some of my brother's dog's food with some water, and at first she refused it, but then I dunked a schmacko in it, then I scooped some on the schmacko and got her to eat it, then she finished off what was in the bowl. It was only a small amount, but I'm glad she ate something :), she looked a bit happier afterwards too.

I'm glad she's a schmacko addict!

I'll get a few different types of dog food from the supermarket and see if she likes a different brand to try.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Desperation measures - as long as it is a 'normal' sort of antibiotic not slow release or anything fancy.

Smash the tablet into dust and mix with water to make a solution. Put into a syringe and syringe it into the dog's mouth.

This is the only way I can get my miniature schnauzer to take antibiotics.

..you can, if you are crushing them .. do as suggested above .. or crush finely and mix with butter or icecream ( about a teaspoonful) ..pop it into her mouth .. RIGHT IN .. and jut gently hold her mouth closed while patting and talking to her ... the icream/butter melts ..she swallows .... it should happen.

I wouldn't be pussy footing around trying to get her to take the tablet willingly... just open her mouth and push the tablet to the back of the throat - the close and hold her mouth and gently blow near her nose and she will involuntarily swallow. If she has some sort of infection, you need those antibiotics in her asap.

My guess woud be something wrong with a back tooth on that side... that could explain the eye swelling AND the refusal to eat.

T.

It does sound like it could be tooth related when you look at everything, especially not eating.

It could even be a combination of two things going on...

My Kelpie recently had dental work done and was on AB's/pain relife afterwards. I didnt want to disturb her mouth so did as Stuffluv suggested and wrapped her tablet in Turkey, ham or squashed it into four legs, asked her to sit and fed it as a reward.

She didnt bat an eyelid. The AB's are a priority.

Have you heard from the vet? I would be giving them a call and letting them know what you have said here.

I hope Jessie is feeling better very soon :sick:

ETA I have seen poundies with mouth absess that have burst through the nose just under the eye :( I dont want to scare you, just that mouth/teeth/eye issues can quickly blow out. Good luck

Edited by Nic.B

Thanks persephone, I tried with ice-cream last night and this morning and I got it into her. It was messy, but the best I could do.

I tried putting it in as far back as I could with no ice-cream and held her muzzle while my mum massaged her neck. It looked as though she swallowed it after a while, but she didn't and she spat it straight out. I got her liquid pain medication into her this morning, so liquid medication is far easier.

tdierikx, I'm not pussy footing around with her...I'm trying to get her to take a tablet without her spitting everything out and without getting bitten by a 23kg dog. It isn't easy with Jessie because she is very cautious (when we first had her she was labelled a fear biter by the vet), so trying to get a tablet into her mouth when she is clamping her teeth and growling at me isn't fun. Jessie normally loves her food and normally every night she'll eat a whole glucosamine tablet in her dinner without hesitation, I've never had to force her to take a tablet because normally she will eat just about anything.

I've also ordered a dog pill popper online, but i'm not sure how long it will take to get here.

The vet told me to call this evening because that is when they'll have her blood-work back. I will talk to them about how difficult it is to get her to take her antibiotic and see what they say. This morning both of Jessie's eyes still look red (but no bulging) and she is still off her food. Yesterday the vet said that if Jessie doesn't improve the next step will be to anaesthetise her to examine her and x-ray her.

Edited by fainty_girl

Good luck, ice cream is good. I gave Bella natural yougurt with manuka honey through it as well.

I gave her natures gift as well, though added warm water so that she could lap. Then onto four legs with soft small breed dry and now she is eating normally :)

I was worried about pain for Bella, so wrapped her med's in high reward treats instead. I tricked her a bit by getting her to sit drop stay etc (she is a very perceptive dog) I think she thought it was a regular little training session :laugh: She had no clue!

ETA I keep eta, sorry. Take the icecream out, let it soften and mix it to thickshake consistency (it will warm it up a bit which is easier to lap and is better just incase it it her tooth/teeth.

Edited by Nic.B

Thanks persephone, I tried with ice-cream last night and this morning and I got it into her. It was messy, but the best I could do.

I tried putting it in as far back as I could with no ice-cream and held her muzzle while my mum massaged her neck. It looked as though she swallowed it after a while, but she didn't and she spat it straight out. I got her liquid pain medication into her this morning, so liquid medication is far easier.

tdierikx, I'm not pussy footing around with her...I'm trying to get her to take a tablet without her spitting everything out and without getting bitten by a 23kg dog. It isn't easy with Jessie because she is very cautious (when we first had her she was labelled a fear biter by the vet), so trying to get a tablet into her mouth when she is clamping her teeth and growling at me isn't fun. Jessie normally loves her food and normally every night she'll eat a whole glucosamine tablet in her dinner without hesitation, I've never had to force her to take a tablet because normally she will eat just about anything.

I've also ordered a dog pill popper online, but i'm not sure how long it will take to get here.

The vet told me to call this evening because that is when they'll have her blood-work back. I will talk to them about how difficult it is to get her to take her antibiotic and see what they say. This morning both of Jessie's eyes still look red (but no bulging) and she is still off her food. Yesterday the vet said that if Jessie doesn't improve the next step will be to anaesthetise her to examine her and x-ray her.

Hi there

I found where my girl is like that shove the tablet down as far without being bitten lol and than giving them bits of cheese or whatever yummy they sort of forget the tablet and start eating the food and than swallowed it. Good luck

Hi there

I found where my girl is like that shove the tablet down as far without being bitten lol and than giving them bits of cheese or whatever yummy they sort of forget the tablet and start eating the food and than swallowed it. Good luck

Sorry, though why would you do that (via force) when there is a sore/painful mouth (perhaps) involved?

The above post gives me the willies.

Why would anyone make sure and force mediction into any dogs mouth (while they are unwell) is beyond me. There are other ways to get medications into your dogs system.

Otherwise they need to see a vet.

Sorry X98, though that is completely absured for me. The owner does not even know if it is tooth or eye related yet.

The fact that she is not eating and has also been slow to eat, not finishing her meals and now not eating at all would be enough concern for me.

ETA spelling.

Edited by Nic.B

Maybe the vet can give Jessie a long lasting antibiotic shot? Will be easier for everyone in the long run.

T.

The OP has the medication in liquid form now .. that should make things heaps more comfortable .:)

Where does it say that Pers? (aside from a pill popper online)

Maybe the vet can give Jessie a long lasting antibiotic shot? Will be easier for everyone in the long run.

T.

The OP has the medication in liquid form now .. that should make things heaps more comfortable .:)

Where does it say that Pers? (aside from a pill popper online)

:o oops . my mistake I read this incorrectly. apologies for any confusion .

I got her liquid pain medication into her this morning, so liquid medication is far easier.

Not sure what pain medication she is on but there are a few that need to be given with food so hopefully you can speak to the vet soon and the blood work may give some answers. There is an antibiotic that can be injected and that might be more suitable for her than getting hit and miss tablets.

Sounds like she is still in a lot of pain.. poor girl.

Jessie was given antihistamine, pain relief and antibiotics.

I wish I had an answer as to what the problem is...the vet mentioned several different things, like a possible allergic reaction, a bee sting, a dental abscess (underneath a tooth that was slightly broken). If Jessie doesn't improve they said they would need to anaesthetise her to really have a good look at what is going on.

I find it concerning that the dog is being treated with all these meds and you don't have a diagnosis! Some of these meds may mask symptoms, or worse, exacerbate any existing issues. This scattergun approach is a worry. if the dog has an infection it cannot be diagnosed now as antibiotics have already been commenced. Pain is a good way to diagnose an issue but the dog is on painkillers?

Most concerning is the fact that the dog will not eat. There must be a reason for that. If the bloods are inconclusive I would be getting a referral to a canine physician.

Jessie was given antihistamine, pain relief and antibiotics.

I wish I had an answer as to what the problem is...the vet mentioned several different things, like a possible allergic reaction, a bee sting, a dental abscess (underneath a tooth that was slightly broken). If Jessie doesn't improve they said they would need to anaesthetise her to really have a good look at what is going on.

I find it concerning that the dog is being treated with all these meds and you don't have a diagnosis! Some of these meds may mask symptoms, or worse, exacerbate any existing issues. This scattergun approach is a worry. if the dog has an infection it cannot be diagnosed now as antibiotics have already been commenced. Pain is a good way to diagnose an issue but the dog is on painkillers?

Most concerning is the fact that the dog will not eat. There must be a reason for that. If the bloods are inconclusive I would be getting a referral to a canine physician.

:thumbsup: