Greyhound Muzzling Exemptions

~Anne~

Can any greyhound knowledgeable people clarify for me, or direct me to the appropriate place to find clarification, on greyhound muzzling laws in NSW. Specifically I am seeking information about greyhounds who have undergone the retraining process in NSW under the Comp. Animals Act.

Are there any restrictions regarding dogs that have undergone retraining when it comes to off leash?

Edited by ~Anne~

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. I'm on a companion animals committee and I noticed that they restrict greys from being off leash in designated areas. I'd like them to reconsider this but I wasn't certain of the applicable legislation.

Thank you! :flower:

All greyhounds need to wear a muzzle or a green collar. The only exceptions are 'greyhound crosses' which could in fact be purebred greyhounds from an 'oops' litter which was then not registered. As I understand it, these greys are crosses and are therefore exempt.

Personally I think people are insane letting their greys off unmuzzled. One of ours will go through Greenhounds next week and he'll still be muzzled at the dog park (where we only run with greyhounds) because they play rough! And because I don't trust his chase instinct not to kick in when he's running. I've seen him track down both of my female greys and he does fixate on cats. A small fluffy running thing is really just too tempting, so why risk it?

But I'm a bit risk averse like that....

I was wondering too, I saw a grey offlead at the dogpark last month ,it didn't have a muzzle on or a green collar, the new owners said they adopted him from a rescue group and he didn't have to wear a muzzle.

yes there are a few dodgy rescues saying their dogs don't have to be muzzled.

I was wondering too, I saw a grey offlead at the dogpark last month ,it didn't have a muzzle on or a green collar, the new owners said they adopted him from a rescue group and he didn't have to wear a muzzle.

Yes there are and it gives me the irits big time. Not only is it illegal and dangerous but bloody insulting to people that do the right thing and PAY to have their dogs properly assessed. One rescue in particular are doing it all the time, no prizes for guessing who it is :mad

All greyhounds need to wear a muzzle or a green collar. The only exceptions are 'greyhound crosses' which could in fact be purebred greyhounds from an 'oops' litter which was then not registered. As I understand it, these greys are crosses and are therefore exempt.

Personally I think people are insane letting their greys off unmuzzled. One of ours will go through Greenhounds next week and he'll still be muzzled at the dog park (where we only run with greyhounds) because they play rough! And because I don't trust his chase instinct not to kick in when he's running. I've seen him track down both of my female greys and he does fixate on cats. A small fluffy running thing is really just too tempting, so why risk it?

But I'm a bit risk averse like that....

Nothing wrong with being sensible.

I found out today that someone who was going to foster for us instead adopted a dog from the other greyhound rescue group here- I know this because someone called me to complain about seeing this person walking the dog unmuzzled in a park that prohibits dogs from being there at all. Seems I dodged a bullet with that one but still, irresponsible groups that like make me fear for the future of greyhound rescue.

Yes there are and it gives me the irits big time. Not only is it illegal and dangerous but bloody insulting to people that do the right thing and PAY to have their dogs properly assessed. One rescue in particular are doing it all the time, no prizes for guessing who it is :mad

can you PM me the name of the greyhound rescue. our dog was attacked by an adopted greyhound at an event. too late for me to do anything about it (owners were good and paid vet bills, but I didn't want to ask who they adopted from). I am only asking as I like (financially) supporting greyhound rescue, and because of what happened, I want to make damned sure I don't support this rescue. Thankfully our dog is now fine, apart drom being reactive to flies.

Edited by futuredogtrainer

Just in the interests of disclosure, we've gone to events where our dogs have been allowed to be unmuzzled. This has been where there are unlikely to be other dogs and where event organizers have given permission. Winterfest (a medieval festival thing where muzzles would be anachronistic) and adoption events at greyhound races are two which spring to mind. Again only with an adoption group at an organized event with permission. What event was your dog attacked at?

Just in the interests of disclosure, we've gone to events where our dogs have been allowed to be unmuzzled. This has been where there are unlikely to be other dogs and where event organizers have given permission. Winterfest (a medieval festival thing where muzzles would be anachronistic) and adoption events at greyhound races are two which spring to mind. Again only with an adoption group at an organized event with permission. What event was your dog attacked at?

I will not name the specific event, but it was neither of these types. Lots of dogs. please understand that I am a huuuge supporter of adopted greyhounds and the greenhound scheme. It was unfortunate situation, but I do not think it is right for me to discuss it further here.

sorry, I have taken your thread OT.

Edited by futuredogtrainer

OK. No problems! And I don't think this is necessarily OT. It's more that there are events where its OK to have greys unmuzzled even if they aren't Greenhounds, but they are classified as 'private'. And even then, I muzzle one of mine anyhow because she's a little cow when she gets overstimulated. But otherwise it's really really black and white. All greyhounds are either wearing a muzzle or a Greenhound collar.

Greenhound collar

The above links you to the collar. I think that it's very very ugly (and its one reason why I'm pleased that my girls still need to be muzzled - we have an impressive collar collection!) but its also pretty distinctive. (Some of us have started a campaign for Greenhound harnesses so that we can wear fabulous collars as well as being Greenhounds. I'm just not sure its going to get over the line.... :laugh: )The below is the legislation.

NSW Greyhound muzzling legislation

Of course, the fact that a grey is a Greenhound doesn't mean they won't react as any other dog would. But it does mean that they shouldn't have extra high preydrive. Which obviously you know. But generally......

And people who don't obey the rules really tick me off. I muzzle mine and accept it as part of owning the dogs I have. But when I see others who are not muzzling theirs, or hear about them, or about unmuzzled greys attacking other dogs it makes it that much more difficult for everyone trying to do the right thing by these fantastic animals.

Still illegal if not greencollared, event organizers don't have the power to make that decision. As the NSW Companion Animal Act states, ALL greyhounds must wear a muzzle when in a public place unless wearing an approved green collar so unless these events are held on privately owned land they must wear a muzzle.

I met 2 lovely greyhounds at dog training last week , one is not long off the track. The school we go to is a very small one and in a well contained properly fenced of area. Both greyhounds were on leash but didn't have muzzles on and were very well behaved ! smile.gif

I've also seen another one being responsibly walked around where i live and its never muzzled either.(Well the times ive seen it anyway)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Still illegal if not greencollared, event organizers don't have the power to make that decision. As the NSW Companion Animal Act states, ALL greyhounds must wear a muzzle when in a public place unless wearing an approved green collar so unless these events are held on privately owned land they must wear a muzzle.

I think that they were private events and controlled entry and therefore not a public place which is why it was allowed. In any case, they have been the exceptions and certainly not the rule.

Yes correct Anne as per my previous post.

The thing is you are now getting greyhound rescues popping up all over the place. Most of them are "industry hating groups" so they feel that greys should not be muzzled, it's cruel *rolls eyes* and will tell adopters to not muzzle them...the ranger won't worry. The fact is a lot of adopters are first time sighthound owners and have no idea how quickly it can turn to s**t if a grey sets in on prey drive, nothing will outrun a determined greyhound. Then of course you get the adopter that may have not been told not to muzzle them at all but takes it upon themselves not to. I have run into people locally that have not had their greys muzzled and actually question me why mine are, my obvious answer is "because they have not been assessed so therefore it's the law" usual response is " oh no my grey is fine, I don't worry about it". It was a major breakthrough for the act to be amended and allow pet greys to be muzzle free but I fear as Maddy does in her previous post that due to human stupidity things are going to go downhill quickly when ignorant people put their greyhounds in a position they shouldn't be in. I speak from experience, my Maddie will never be muzzle free, I know her better than anyone and she is not trustworthy with anything that runs so I choose as a responsible greyhound owner to keep her muzzled and on lead at all times...and don't I cop the flack or it :(

Edited by stans mum

We just got back from the vet. Paige and Brandi had a spat. Paige ended up with a gash under her eye needing stitches and two puncture wounds in her neck, one of which was three cm deep and just missed her jugular. $700 later and she's home. Muzzles will now be on at all times till things settle.

As for muzzles, I go by what I'm told when I turn up but muzzles are on as the default....