Dogs On K/d Diet

violetmay

Hi Everyone

My dog (maltese) has been put on hils k/d by the vet. We are using both the canned and dry. It's been 2 weeks now, and he still isn't eating. He would always drink quite bit of water before, but is also not drinking as much now.

He seems extremely constipated and seems to be having very painful (unable to walk) tries at going to the toilet.

I have been told that nothing else is safe for him to eat. I've given him a few bits of lettuce over the last two weeks (the people on the hills 1800 number said that was ok), but I don't know what else I give him safely.

I'm going to ring my vet today to talk to her.

Has anyone got any suggestions of what else I can safely feed him. I asked about mashed pumpkin and was told no I couldn't feed him that as it has too many nutrients.

He needs to get over this constipation, and he's barely eaten anything for two weeks.

Just don't know what to do. He obviously needs to be on a specific diet for kidney problems, but it really isn't working for him.

I asked the Hills people if I could feed him the feline k/d and they said no. My dogs likes the feline c/d (our cat is on that) so we are extra careful now he doesn't steal it like he did in the past.

I just don't seem to have any options for him other that dry and soft hills k/d and lettuce. Just need something else safe for him. Would love some suggestions please.

Thanks

Thanks

:( Sorry your little dog is having trouble

So .. the little dog hasn't been back to the vet?

I would be either going back to the vet ASAP ( not just phoning) .. or talking with another vet . Everything needs to be checked out .....Discuss exactly what the problem is .. what needs to be restricted in his food .... minerals, etc ... and then perhaps you can seek help in changing diet, or making a home made one. this CANNOT be done until you know exactly what amounts of protein and minerals your dog needs - so yes, a vet visit, pen & paper - so YOU know exactly what is happening with your dog, and how you can safely help :)

keep us posted .

Thanks for your reply persephone.

I broke down, went to the butcher, bought some premium mince and fed him some of that. Atleast he has something in his belly now.

You are right I need more information from the vet. I've been googling and it's all confusing. Some people are saying that low protein is important, but others are saying research was done and it showed no increase in life with a low protein food. Really don't know what the right thing is.

Thanks for your help

:( Sorry your little dog is having trouble

So .. the little dog hasn't been back to the vet?

I would be either going back to the vet ASAP ( not just phoning) .. or talking with another vet . Everything needs to be checked out .....Discuss exactly what the problem is .. what needs to be restricted in his food .... minerals, etc ... and then perhaps you can seek help in changing diet, or making a home made one. this CANNOT be done until you know exactly what amounts of protein and minerals your dog needs - so yes, a vet visit, pen & paper - so YOU know exactly what is happening with your dog, and how you can safely help :)

keep us posted .

I hope the vet will explain what the dog's condition is .. and what is needed to help . Make sure to ask questions ...and write down answers .Ask lots of questions! :) Here a few examples ...

what is happening in my dog's body?

are the kidneys working properly?

What will affect how his health goes?

What protein level should food be now?

How much should he be drinking?

Zoe is also on K/D. She is a guts though so will eat anything :laugh: She is happy to eat it and even use it for treats for training (she is 14 years old).

I did ask the vet about a homemade diet as I thought it might be cheaper, but the vet said that it is difficult to make a homemade diet for this condition. I was told some cottage cheese was OK to give for a treat. From memory the important thing is that any protein be a source that is easy to digest.

Royal Canin have a great range of prescription diets that the dogs find very palatable. Ask your vet if they can get some in for you or if you can pick it up at another vet.

My friend's dog is on the low fat RC prescription food and it smells like vegemite!

Royal Canin only bring in some of their prescription foods. Doesn't look like they do a dry kidney one.

My dog loves k/d and l/d.

Hard to know what to suggest as you haven't said what the dog's problem is.

My dog has very sloppy poos on the k/d & l/d btw. Which she needs to have for her condition (liver problem) so I don't think the k/d would make your dog constipated. I've been feeding t/d to my other dog and that also caused her to have sloppy poos. The not drinking isn't good though.

Thanks everyone. He doesn't have full on kidney disease, just his kidneys are not working as well as they should due to age.

The vet had some strange blood results back from tests for other things this year (testing for cushings, and also spleen/spleen tumour removal surgery), and wanted to see what was going on with his urine.

I will try the royal canin. The vet said we could also try that, thanks for reminding me JulesP, I had totally forgotten about the royal canin option. I saw that cans were available.

I think for my dog it is the size of the hills dry food that is part of the problem. I think he prefers the catfood as it is smaller in size.

I did ask if I could make the dry food soft with water and give it to him as a mush, and they said I could that.

So a few new things to try, and cottage cheese (yay).

Eukanuba make a Renal dry food but the pieces are quite big and round, so if your dog doesn't like big pieces it may not be suitable. But it has a different flavour (different ingredients) to the k/d. Your vet might have to order it in.

RC used to make a kidney dry food but it was discontinued. I tried the home made diet for my dog but it didn't seem to have much flavour, it's pretty bland.

Vitamin b injections may help his appetite, just ask your vet when you take him back.

I'm not sure how old he is. We got him 7 or so years ago from the pound and at the time they guessed he was about 3 years of age. He has hip arthritis/hip/joint/knee issues for 5 or so years, so may be older than 10 years.

His back legs seem to be getting weaker and more wobbly. He's already overweight, so can't increase his appetite. He is starving all the time (well since being on k/d) but just wont eat it. He will just look at it and sit and cry. Might be time for another dental I guess too.

He's never enjoyed dryfood (other than the cat's c/d). So I think focusing on soft food with a bit of dry might be better.

Thanks again everyone.

I'm not sure how old he is. We got him 7 or so years ago from the pound and at the time they guessed he was about 3 years of age. He has hip arthritis/hip/joint/knee issues for 5 or so years, so may be older than 10 years.

His back legs seem to be getting weaker and more wobbly. He's already overweight, so can't increase his appetite. He is starving all the time (well since being on k/d) but just wont eat it. He will just look at it and sit and cry. Might be time for another dental I guess too.

He's never enjoyed dryfood (other than the cat's c/d). So I think focusing on soft food with a bit of dry might be better.

Thanks again everyone.

Agree with what perse said earlier, I would be taking him back to the vet.

RC do not import their Kidney diet dry into this country. I got that from RC direct.

The trick that works for me is to put a SMALL amount of either warm mince (and the juice) or tuna and oil into the K/D. Not ideal but at least Herbie will eat it and his kidney condition hasn't worsened while I've done that.

Or you can try a bit of the K/D canned - it is more palatable.

The K/D food is the smallest pieces of dry food I have ever had! Don't think even cat food has smaller pieces? It is so small I find it really difficult to use as training treats.

Really? what have you been feeding? I reckon it is about normal size.

The K/D food is the smallest pieces of dry food I have ever had! Don't think even cat food has smaller pieces? It is so small I find it really difficult to use as training treats.

I normally feed Advance but have also fed Pro Plan and several others. Even the puppy food I am feeding Nitro is bigger than the K/D! It is miniscule!

I normally feed Advance but have also fed Pro Plan and several others. Even the puppy food I am feeding Nitro is bigger than the K/D! It is miniscule!

Weird I wouldn't call my k/d miniscule. It is a bit bigger than the holistic select I am feeding Poppy.

Try mixing the tinned with water (like a slury) and use a spoon to make sure there are no lumps.

The ID tinned is very dry, even though it looks "wet". You will be suprised at the amount of water is needed to mix into a consistency that feeds and hydrates.

RC do not import their Kidney diet dry into this country. I got that from RC direct.

Apparently the reason they stopped selling it here was because it didn't meet requirements for the kidney diet...that's what I was told when I asked a vet about it a few months ago.