Home Needed For Family Pet

bellacody

Actually this isn't always the best option, everyone thinks it is because the dog needs company it seems.

The dog I just mentioned in my post had an elderly owner who spent most of their time with him.

However we all have to go out at some point - shopping, doctors etc unless we are housebound.

When his owner went out, the dog I had was put outside. His distress was enormous and he climbed trees and a 6ft fence and took off.

In the end his owner would leave the gate open so he didn't injure himself in his stressed out state.

Weaning the dog off the need for constant human company is the best thing ...

You are making perfect sense here...that Mia needs weaning her off the need for human company...I'm going to speak to him about this, but he still has to move!!nI suppose this wouldn't be of any help if I brought her here...I guess I'm asking for too much with the aggression side of it, aren't I. I'm clutching at straws.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

I would have thought that a staffy of only 8-9 kgs would be quite easy to rehome, actually, even taking into account her other issues. Find someone who wants a small loving dog and a constant companion and she'd probably have her ideal home.

That home needs to be found, of course.

Advertising in the local paper and getting information from a rescue person as to how to check out the calls and the potential home would probably be the way to go.

I agree! Sounds like she'd be a nice companion for a retiree.

What is the time frame for rehoming? Is there the possibility of working with a good behaviorist to help Mia overcome her anxieties and issues with other dogs? That might allow you to take her on or at the very least will increase her suitability for and chances of rehoming. Obviously there is also a finance factor as well.

There are some boarding facilities that will work on behavior whilst the dog stays with them, there are a lot of these that I wouldn't touch but there are a few good ones around. If your son can afford it I would look at it as an option.

What is the time frame for rehoming? Is there the possibility of working with a good behaviorist to help Mia overcome her anxieties and issues with other dogs? That might allow you to take her on or at the very least will increase her suitability for and chances of rehoming. Obviously there is also a finance factor as well.

There are some boarding facilities that will work on behavior whilst the dog stays with them, there are a lot of these that I wouldn't touch but there are a few good ones around. If your son can afford it I would look at it as an option.

Not much time at all sadly, but a wonderful suggestion if they had the time. I'm going to talk about everything to my son and his wife later today...maybe there is something we can do. Maybe I could muzzle all the dogs?? Just kidding...trying to make light of a horrible situation.

Not much time at all sadly, but a wonderful suggestion if they had the time. I'm going to talk about everything to my son and his wife later today...maybe there is something we can do. Maybe I could muzzle all the dogs?? Just kidding...trying to make light of a horrible situation.

I do know of a reputable dog trainer in Sydney who has overcome aggression issues in dogs, it does take a bit of time and I imagine it doesn't work with every dog.

There would also be a cost factor and I guess money would be short if moving is imminent.

There is also the liability factor if she does manage to get out of every yard and then attacks another animal.

I would have thought that a staffy of only 8-9 kgs would be quite easy to rehome, actually, even taking into account her other issues. Find someone who wants a small loving dog and a constant companion and she'd probably have her ideal home.

Advertising in the local paper and getting information from a rescue person as to how to check out the calls and the potential home would probably be the way to go.

Well I was thinking exactly that, that maybe an older person just wanting a constant companion would be perfect....but I wasn't thinking about her stress levels completely. Part of me thinks her anxieties would be better if she had that special someone who wanted to be with her all the time...it's just so very hard, isn't it. I have a few rescue places to hear back from and one to call so maybe it will be ok...I hope.

Actually this isn't always the best option, everyone thinks it is because the dog needs company it seems.

The dog I just mentioned in my post had an elderly owner who spent most of their time with him.

However we all have to go out at some point - shopping, doctors etc unless we are housebound.

When his owner went out, the dog I had was put outside. His distress was enormous and he climbed trees and a 6ft fence and took off.

In the end his owner would leave the gate open so he didn't injure himself in his stressed out state.

We are all aware and in awe of your vast experience, Dogmad, but my response was not made in the context of Mia's need for constant attention: it was made in the context of her being a vey small Staffy and a vey loving playful little dog. AND, in the knowledge which I am sure that you also have, that dogs can change in different household.

Owners, despite their very best intentions, can make a dog anxious and wary and, perhaps, even dog aggressive.

In another home, Mia could just as easily settle down, curled into a comfortable ball and wait for her owner to come home.

Well I was thinking exactly that, that maybe an older person just wanting a constant companion would be perfect....but I wasn't thinking about her stress levels completely. Part of me thinks her anxieties would be better if she had that special someone who wanted to be with her all the time...it's just so very hard, isn't it. I have a few rescue places to hear back from and one to call so maybe it will be ok...I hope.

We are all aware and in awe of your vast experience, Dogmad, but my response was not made in the context of Mia's need for constant attention: it was made in the context of her being a vey small Staffy and a vey loving playful little dog. AND, in the knowledge which I am sure that you also have, that dogs can change in different household.

Owners, despite their very best intentions, can make a dog anxious and wary and, perhaps, even dog aggressive.

In another home, Mia could just as easily settle down, curled into a comfortable ball and wait for her owner to come home.

No need to be rude Danny, where I'm concerned I know you find it difficult - merry Christmas to you :) Dogs with anxiety problems don't generally just get sorted out by moving to yet another home either.

Edited by dogmad

I do know of a reputable dog trainer in Sydney who has overcome aggression issues in dogs, it does take a bit of time and I imagine it doesn't work with every dog.

There would also be a cost factor and I guess money would be short if moving is imminent.

There is also the liability factor if she does manage to get out of every yard and then attacks another animal.

I wouldn't rush out and put her to sleep. It just depends on how much time you have on your side to wait for her new home. She sounds like a typical SBT to me. She reminds me of my girl. It's just a matter of finding her the right home. I think the weight guess could be a bit off though? She weighs less than my small Pug! My SBT is tiny too, the runt of the litter - smaller than yours in the photo.

I wouldn't surrender her to a rescue. I would try to rehome her myself (as you are).

Goodness, I'll try replying again....I had to sign out and sign back in again as it wouldn't let me send my reply. Unfortunately cost is an issue for them, their car just got written off (nobody was hurt thank goodness) so they have the cost of another car and I can't help them :(. But oh I do appreciate your help and realise you are trying so hard.

I wouldn't rush out and put her to sleep. It just depends on how much time you have on your side to wait for her new home. She sounds like a typical SBT to me. She reminds me of my girl. It's just a matter of finding her the right home. I think the weight guess could be a bit off though? She weighs less than my small Pug! My SBT is tiny too, the runt of the litter - smaller than yours in the photo.

I wouldn't surrender her to a rescue. I would try to rehome her myself (as you are).

Oh definitely not Clyde, no way. I have put calls into a few rescue places and am waiting their return call. I have a cross staffie and she is similar but not as bad as Mia...nowhere near, I can go out and she is just fine. But I do see similarities with their natures at times. Maybe my son is looking at the wrong number on the scales?? I will ask him to reweigh her and find out again. She is stocky so yes, you'd think she'd be heavier in weight.

Guest hankodie

I know a great behaviourist on the coast if you do decide to go down that path, PM me if you want her name. I hope you work it out, it's definitely a tough situation to be in.

Edit: I think you should definitely consider consulting a behaviourist to assess her issues, I don't think people should be recommending her to be euthanised if her issues can indeed be managed and there is no way to be able to tell that from your posts alone. Please try and consider all of the options and resources available to you and your son's dog.

Edited by hankodie

Dogs with anxiety problems don't generally just get sorted out by moving to yet another home either.

I didn't say that, either. Read what I and others have said from an objective point of view rather than rushing in to tell of your experiences.

I didn't say to rehome her to an elderly person either, just a person who wants a constant companion which does not arbitrarily mean an elderly person.

Mia's home is a very tense one at the moment - having to move, car written off, coming up to Christmas. A lot of anxiety producing events are happening all at once to this family through no fault of their own. For an anxious dog to be around all that can exacerbate her problems. Again, through no fault of the family.

I agree with what Clyde says. On the other hand, there may be a rescue group who has a carer who could foster Mia and with the experience to assess, manage and diffuse her problems.

Bellacody, DOL has a vast membership, but it is not the be all and end of the rehoming and rescue world.

Dogs with anxiety problems don't generally just get sorted out by moving to yet another home either.

I didn't say that, either. Read what I and others have said from an objective point of view rather than rushing in to tell of your experiences.

I didn't say to rehome her to an elderly person either, just a person who wants a constant companion which does not arbitrarily mean an elderly person.

Mia's home is a very tense one at the moment - having to move, car written off, coming up to Christmas. A lot of anxiety producing events are happening all at once to this family through no fault of their own. For an anxious dog to be around all that can exacerbate her problems. Again, through no fault of the family.

I agree with what Clyde says. On the other hand, there may be a rescue group who has a carer who could foster Mia and with the experience to assess, manage and diffuse her problems.

Bellacody, DOL has a vast membership, but it is not the be all and end of the rehoming and rescue world.

Mental note to self - don't bother sharing any experience, it's not welcome on DOL.

I really thought that's what DOL was about - how silly of me.

I actually wasn't replying to your post DD, my apologies for quoting you - I really try and avoid that.

Now that you are helping in every way you can, I can stop worrying about this little dog.

Edited by dogmad

I know a great behaviourist on the coast if you do decide to go down that path, PM me if you want her name. I hope you work it out, it's definitely a tough situation to be in.

Edit: I think you should definitely consider consulting a behaviourist to assess her issues, I don't think people should be recommending her to be euthanised if her issues can indeed be managed and there is no way to be able to tell that from your posts alone. Please try and consider all of the options and resources available to you and your son's dog.

I'm not sure how to PM...can you please PM her name to me, just in case, although money is an issue for them. I just feel it will be good to have. Truly, the other posters were just worrying about how anxious she gets, they didn't mean to go ahead and euthanize her. They were just concerned and worried about her anxieties going through the roof at the next home :(. I have a lot to talk to my son about....nothing can be rushed...I'll do my best to make sure of that. I appreciate your post very much hankodie. In fact, everyone has just tried so hard to help me under this awful situation, I just appreciate you all.

Oh I'm so sorry, I don't want to upset anyone here or have anyone else upset with one another. I came to DOL because of its vast membership because I was at a loss of where to go, what to do, mostly because I was so terribly stressed about the situation and couldn't think straight. I have calmed down a lot since that first post, and that's because all I have received are caring, concerned replies. You have all given me much more food for thought than I had when I asked my question...I was reaching out for help and that's what I got. Honestly, I will do my best to keep Mia with my son for as long as possible...I was just talking out loud (so to speak) about what could or couldn't be done. I won't be rushing into anything and nor will I let my son. We can work something out...somehow. What you have written above about Mia being in a very stressful home at the moment is very true, very true.

Bellacody, will you at least consider what I suggested about the Prozac? If a dog is suffering from stress, it may help - definitely worth asking the vet if Mia doesn't have to be gone right now.

Absolutely Dogmad, I'm definitely going to be talking to my son about Prozac.