Home Needed For Family Pet

bellacody

IMG_20130709_142636_847.jpg

Are you sure she's only 8kg? She looks heavier and older than 5.

Yes, I was trying to find a pic of her standing up...her looks in the pic are deceiving, she is very tiny but a solid, staffie build. We have her birth details, she is definitely 5, but it's those little white whiskers that make her look older. I was shocked when I found out how old she is, I thought much older too when they first got her.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

poor little girl :(

rehoming at this time of the year is hard because folks either go away , OR are looking for a 'christmas' dog :( - both unhelpful.

She does have some compounding issues ...and it seems as if she is upset/anxious quite a lot. Yet another home , with everything unfamiliar may exacerbate these issues :( :(

I wish you well ... however , the decision to set her free , to give her wings is one you may need to look at ...

I truly understand what you're saying.....yet another home and the poor little thing could possibly get worse. She is so lovely though.....it's very hard isn't it.

yes, it is hard .. :hug: for you in caring about her so much.

With all her issues you're going to find it very hard to rehome her. Give it your best shot but you may need to have her euthanised if you can't, which may be the kinder option.

Thanks for all your help and everyone here who has helped, I really appreciate your time and your genuine compassion....I'll call a few rescues and see what I can do....heartbreaking to let her go but really understand it might be the kindest thing to do.....

yes, it is hard .. :hug: for you in caring about her so much.

I truly do care about her, she is so gorgeous and just takes my breath away. My hands are tied though....bringing her here where they already don't get along would be worse for her and my dogs too...no quality of life....

I'm concerned about the stress for the poor girl if she ends up being rehomed to be honest. She sounds very anxious and stressed out form your description, so perhaps rehoming her yet again might not be in her best interest at all.

Also, if there is an incident with another dog, it will once again reflect badly on the breed as a whole, not on the individual dog, whatever its past experiences may have been. I would be reluctant to rehome a dog who is known to have an issue such as dog aggression

I'm concerned about the stress for the poor girl if she ends up being rehomed to be honest. She sounds very anxious and stressed out form your description, so perhaps rehoming her yet again might not be in her best interest at all.

Also, if there is an incident with another dog, it will once again reflect badly on the breed as a whole, not on the individual dog, whatever its past experiences may have been. I would be reluctant to rehome a dog who is known to have an issue such as dog aggression

You are right BlackJaq....I can't stop thinking of even more stress on the little one....and the dog aggression, that is a big issue I know....Gosh this is so hard. I do know where you and the other lovely members are coming from and couldn't have asked for kinder people to discuss all of this with, so I thank you all. Not what I wanted to hear, of course, but needed to hear.

Sorry :( Decisions like this are a lot harder on the humans involved than on the dogs though. They don't know what is going to happen and always living in stress and anxiety is not a pleasant life, for a person or an animal.

It is up to you (or your son) of course to make the final decision, but sometimes it helps to get other people's input :grouphug:

I would have thought that a staffy of only 8-9 kgs would be quite easy to rehome, actually, even taking into account her other issues. Find someone who wants a small loving dog and a constant companion and she'd probably have her ideal home.

That home needs to be found, of course.

Advertising in the local paper and getting information from a rescue person as to how to check out the calls and the potential home would probably be the way to go.

Sorry :( Decisions like this are a lot harder on the humans involved than on the dogs though. They don't know what is going to happen and always living in stress and anxiety is not a pleasant life, for a person or an animal.

It is up to you (or your son) of course to make the final decision, but sometimes it helps to get other people's input :grouphug:

You are very right BlackJaq.....I am going to talk to my son later today, after I make a few calls. I came to the right place for help, as I said before you are all caring and compassionate and know how tough this is. Thank you for the group hug, it's much appreciated....now if I could stop crying!!

I would have thought that a staffy of only 8-9 kgs would be quite easy to rehome, actually, even taking into account her other issues. Find someone who wants a small loving dog and a constant companion and she'd probably have her ideal home.

Advertising in the local paper and getting information from a rescue person as to how to check out the calls and the potential home would probably be the way to go.

Well I was thinking exactly that, that maybe an older person just wanting a constant companion would be perfect....but I wasn't thinking about her stress levels completely. Part of me thinks her anxieties would be better if she had that special someone who wanted to be with her all the time...it's just so very hard, isn't it. I have a few rescue places to hear back from and one to call so maybe it will be ok...I hope.

You are very right BlackJaq.....I am going to talk to my son later today, after I make a few calls. I came to the right place for help, as I said before you are all caring and compassionate and know how tough this is. Thank you for the group hug, it's much appreciated....now if I could stop crying!!

Crying's OK .. you are dealing with a little life, and what will happen to it - it's a responsibility :)

You are in a really hard place at the moment but I really applaud you for looking at the situation with the dogs best interests foremost. I hope things do work out but know if they don't quite go the way you originally hoped it was not because you didnt try and it was because you put her well being before your own

Edited by OSoSwift

You are in a really hard place at the moment but I really applaud you for looking at the situation with the dogs best interests foremost. I hope things do work out but know if they don't quite go the way you originally hoped it was not because you didnt try and it was because you put her well being before your own

This is a really kind, loving reply. Thank you so much, it has helped me.

Would your son keep her if she wasn't so anxious?

There are a couple of suggestions that may help him. As she's quite small, can he install a doggie door so she can come and go, this will be much better all round.

I've just fostered a dog with terrible separation anxiety and my vet put him on Prozac - it isn't expensive, you can get your vet to write a prescription and get the tablets in the chemist. Works out at about $20.

She isn't very rehomable as she is. Because she isn't good with other dogs, many rescues could not house her.

If you and your son love her, then please, try the above things and see if that helps - give the tablets a couple of weeks to work plus practice curing the anxiety by doing certain things in a routine (not too onerous and very worthwhile).

The dog I had turned around pretty much straight away - he was only so badly behaved due to an ignorant owner. They loved him but made him a mental basket case.

Well I was thinking exactly that, that maybe an older person just wanting a constant companion would be perfect....but I wasn't thinking about her stress levels completely. Part of me thinks her anxieties would be better if she had that special someone who wanted to be with her all the time...it's just so very hard, isn't it. I have a few rescue places to hear back from and one to call so maybe it will be ok...I hope.

Actually this isn't always the best option, everyone thinks it is because the dog needs company it seems.

The dog I just mentioned in my post had an elderly owner who spent most of their time with him.

However we all have to go out at some point - shopping, doctors etc unless we are housebound.

When his owner went out, the dog I had was put outside. His distress was enormous and he climbed trees and a 6ft fence and took off.

In the end his owner would leave the gate open so he didn't injure himself in his stressed out state.

Weaning the dog off the need for constant human company is the best thing ...

Hoping for the best outcome for Mia :grouphug:

ANother heartwarming post....I can't thank each and everyone of you here today....you are helping me more than you know with your understanding and your kindness. It's a very difficult situation to be in, one I've not been in ever before :(. Oh I've had stray/lost dogs where I've found their homes...that was hard enough, but this is just horrible.

Would your son keep her if she wasn't so anxious?

There are a couple of suggestions that may help him. As she's quite small, can he install a doggie door so she can come and go, this will be much better all round.

I've just fostered a dog with terrible separation anxiety and my vet put him on Prozac - it isn't expensive, you can get your vet to write a prescription and get the tablets in the chemist. Works out at about $20.

She isn't very rehomable as she is. Because she isn't good with other dogs, many rescues could not house her.

If you and your son love her, then please, try the above things and see if that helps - give the tablets a couple of weeks to work plus practice curing the anxiety by doing certain things in a routine (not too onerous and very worthwhile).

The dog I had turned around pretty much straight away - he was only so badly behaved due to an ignorant owner. They loved him but made him a mental basket case.

No, he can't keep her as they are renting and she isn't allowed in any of the places they have tried to rent and they need to find something very soon. Unfortunately that dictates a lot of rehoming issues for dogs :(. Never thought it would happen to our family though, I always thought well I'll take her, no worries. But of course the aggression nipped that in the bud. I am thinking maybe Mia's previous home was like the dog you were talking about, they gave her so much company that she couldn't bear to be on her own. I don't know what they did with her when they went out...but I do know when my son and family go out, she gets out no matter how secure the yard is. She climbs, like the dog you were talking about :( Oh I do appreciate what you are suggesting and I wish we could do that...but he isn't parting with her because of her anxieties. I just wanted to be totally up front and tell you her issues as there's no way I would not do that.