Heart

arnie_66

Hi hope someone can help.My german shepherd has recently been found to have an enlarged heart and after a lot of money is on medication but $206 every 50 days is a big drain on the wage.She is on vetmedin 5mg is there someplace I can get these pills cheaper as I can not affored this amount.I love my dog but if I can not find cheaper medication I may have to put her down and I really do not want that so any ideas would be great

If your vet will give you a prescription it may be cheaper to order on line. It is also cheaper if you can get bulk buy the item as you only have to pay the dispensary fee once. http://www.petceutic...ex.php/ordering Looks like the pricing is the same on here as what you are already paying. You cannot import Vetmedin into Australia from an overseas site as it is confiscated and destroyed by customs.

If you can find a human equivalent of the drug, and you vet should be able to tell you if this is available, then a script to your local chemist is often cheaper than a vet dispensing. Another option is seeing if you can get the script filled by a compound chemist.

Edited by Ams

If your vet will give you a prescription it may be cheaper to order on line. It is also cheaper if you can get bulk buy the item as you only have to pay the dispensary fee once. http://www.petceutics.com.au/index.php/ordering

If you can find a human equivalent of the drug, and you vet should be able to tell you if this is available, then a script to your local chemist is often cheaper than a vet dispensing.

Thank have been looking online but can get a bit much with money conversion postage prescription and if customs will let in the country but getting a human equivalent might be a goer thanks

I'd speak to your vet and discuss the issue of cost. Ask them about alternatives. Quite often they will have other options they can look at for you.

You are partners in your dog's health. Sometimes we forget that. If they're good vets, they'll do what they can to help.

Edited by ~Anne~

• 3 weeks later...

After doing a quick search, I found this comment on another forum:

"Although I know full well that an equivalent generic product can be purchased almost anywhere (or your pharmacist if you can swing that one)..."

So I guess that means there is an equivalent.

Have you tried going to a chemist and asking about Pimobendan generics?

If there is an equivalent for human use maybe speak to you GP for a script? I know my doctor well and he has said some of his regulars come to him for scripts for their pets (ones the vets recommend) and they get it on the PBS if it's available to them. If you don't know your doctor well, could be tricky.

If there is an equivalent for human use maybe speak to you GP for a script? I know my doctor well and he has said some of his regulars come to him for scripts for their pets (ones the vets recommend) and they get it on the PBS if it's available to them. If you don't know your doctor well, could be tricky.

I am pretty sure any doctor would get in professional trouble for writing scripts for pets so their meds can be subsidised by the PBS, not something I would be advertising was happening.