Beach For The First Time

Kajirin

Took Scout down to Semaphore beach this morning for his first time. He had an absolute ball. Saw and greeted many dogs :D I had him on my horses lunging lead as I wasn't sure how he'd react. We met another Boxer so let him off leash for a play and he ran into the waves like a lil trooper. Checked out the off leash laws before hand and was ok to be off lead til 10am so was happy about that. I put him back on the leash for the rest of the time as a lil pom mix had a go at him and that got him somewhat excited and I didn't want him running over and annoying the dog and lady.

Had breakfast at an outdoor cafe afterwards and most places have bowls of water out for dogs, so he happily drank whilst we ate and then just sat and chilled out in the shade.

Was a most enjoyable morning, might have to make it more of a habit once a month or something :D But was a nice end to this year for the squirt.

Sounds great Noishe. We don't live near the coast but we've had 4 beach-side doggy holidays and it was awesome to see how Misha loved doing zoomies on the beach! Sadly she hates water but other than that beach visits are a wonderful excursion for us!

Beach visits are awesome, I myself hadn't been to the beach in donks so was fun for all. Poor ol Scout is absolutely knackered tonight though, too tired to even eat his dinner :eek: [or he could have an upset tummy as he drank some sea water being a doofus - not a lot, a few laps with his tongue as he walked along]. Would be nice to live closer to the beach but it's only about an hour away. He's just used to paddocks and dirt [he never goes anywhere near the dams here so I was surprised he went in the water].

Beach visits are awesome, I myself hadn't been to the beach in donks so was fun for all. Poor ol Scout is absolutely knackered tonight though, too tired to even eat his dinner :eek: [or he could have an upset tummy as he drank some sea water being a doofus - not a lot, a few laps with his tongue as he walked along]. Would be nice to live closer to the beach but it's only about an hour away. He's just used to paddocks and dirt [he never goes anywhere near the dams here so I was surprised he went in the water].

Are you out North Noishe? There are a few other places you can take them for a good run and swim off Port Wakefield Rd. Not pretty like Semaphore but usually mostly deserted and no on/off leash times.

Are you out North Noishe? There are a few other places you can take them for a good run and swim off Port Wakefield Rd. Not pretty like Semaphore but usually mostly deserted and no on/off leash times.

North East in the hills, went to Semaphore as it was like a family morning out beach and brunch [my brother came over from interstate] and of course Scout comes along as well :) A quiet beach might be the way to go for him to get used to them more. His senses were so overloaded as there were lots of other dogs and people [he still paid attention to me even when off leash and returned when I called him, but with anything new he can get excited quickly].

Doesn't matter how often we go to the beach Stussy still drinks the sea water and we still have to wait till it's all out before we can head home!

Ah wasn't sure what it'd do to him, but the ladies with the Boxer Scout played with said he may feel seedy later. I'm not very au fait with beaches/dogs drinking the water lol so was worried a tad :o He had fresh water afterwards so hoping it flushed it out.

Ah where I was thinking won't be any closer for you then. And it is not a family outing kind of place. The mangroves can be smelly but the dogs love the space and it is usually deserted :)

I will add - the dogs themselves don't end up smellier than the beach normally, just the area itself can be a bit smelly.

Doesn't matter how often we go to the beach Stussy still drinks the sea water and we still have to wait till it's all out before we can head home!

Yeah our little chi drank a heap once at the beach. I remember sitting at a cafe and she threw up a heap of seawater and foam!

Edited by Aussie3

Ah where I was thinking won't be any closer for you then. And it is not a family outing kind of place. The mangroves can be smelly but the dogs love the space and it is usually deserted :)

I will add - the dogs themselves don't end up smellier than the beach normally, just the area itself can be a bit smelly.

Piper I would love to know where this is - I am out north and my 2 like the beach but I dont take them as the kelpie can be reactive and the hound needs to be on a long leash anyway - a deserted beach (no matter how smelly) sounds lovely laugh.gif

Took Scout down to Semaphore beach this morning for his first time. He had an absolute ball. Saw and greeted many dogs :D I had him on my horses lunging lead as I wasn't sure how he'd react. We met another Boxer so let him off leash for a play and he ran into the waves like a lil trooper. Checked out the off leash laws before hand and was ok to be off lead til 10am so was happy about that. I put him back on the leash for the rest of the time as a lil pom mix had a go at him and that got him somewhat excited and I didn't want him running over and annoying the dog and lady.

Had breakfast at an outdoor cafe afterwards and most places have bowls of water out for dogs, so he happily drank whilst we ate and then just sat and chilled out in the shade.

Was a most enjoyable morning, might have to make it more of a habit once a month or something :D But was a nice end to this year for the squirt.

semaphore is very dog friendly .Glad he enjoyed his treat!