Akitas Growth Stopped

Crablord

Alternatively can you contact the state in which they are registered to see if they are listed as one of their breeders? They may have alternate contact details for them.

Are there any specific Akita issues/diseases that may result in a smaller adult dog? If so are there any tests you can conduct to rule that in or out?

Are you anywhere near an Akita club? Someone may know the lines and know if they are faster or slower to mature. They may even have contact details for the breeder. They also may know of someone who can measure him for you and re-measure down the track.

Edited by OSoSwift

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've not weight him for a whole week. Im a fairly big bloke so picking him up has always been easy but I definitely just felt a difference. I take my weight, then hold him and minus mine. He's 43kg today... Either my scales don't work or he's gained 3kg in a week. We've not fed him more, he's actually eaten less as he seems to have lost his appetite lately.

Needless to say I'm happy his weights beginning to move again.

I'm going to keep this thread going weekly. I may look back in a few months time and cringe at myself for being so worried, or I may not.

I've appreciated all the info I've gotten and Thankyou for beating with me.

If he doesn't seem to want to eat much and he is a bit of a greedy guts I would be getting a blood test done on him to rule out problems. Not saying that there is something wrong but both times I noticed something wrong with my Akitas it was due to a lack of growth and they were off their food or were picky eaters. Both times it turned out to be something to do with their kidneys.

--Lhok

Might be easier to call into a local vet when you're out and about and weigh him - they mostly have the scales in the waiting room and I've never had one refuse a polite request to use them.... that wiggly 43 .. 44 ..45 ...50 kg puppy will do your back in eventually :-)

Might be easier to call into a local vet when you're out and about and weigh him - they mostly have the scales in the waiting room and I've never had one refuse a polite request to use them.... that wiggly 43 .. 44 ..45 ...50 kg puppy will do your back in eventually :-)

I deadlift 200kg so he's actually fairly light. Plus because I've done it so often he knows he gets treats at the end so he doesn't move at all.

I'm going to get him checked out this week just to be sure.

Just wanted to add- I know a lot have people have mentioned measuring height, that is a much better indicator of growth than weight. I have a dobe bitch who is very gangly at the moment as a nearly 2 year old, still is on the light side but she is a correct height and as I have seen quite a few of her female relatives I know she will eventually put on more muscle.

I feel your pain though, sometimes I think my girl looks like a mini dobermann especially compared to some of the really big males but my point is I know she is correct and to the standard!

So I've not weight him for a whole week. Im a fairly big bloke so picking him up has always been easy but I definitely just felt a difference. I take my weight, then hold him and minus mine. He's 43kg today... Either my scales don't work or he's gained 3kg in a week. We've not fed him more, he's actually eaten less as he seems to have lost his appetite lately.

Needless to say I'm happy his weights beginning to move again.

I'm going to keep this thread going weekly. I may look back in a few months time and cringe at myself for being so worried, or I may not.

I've appreciated all the info I've gotten and Thankyou for beating with me.

He could have had a growth spurt and now that's done with for now, he's put on weight. But a baseline bloodwork up won't hurt and not too pricey either.

Most large breed dogs slow down dramatically in growth around 6-8 months of age. They start to eat less and usually start gaining weight.

From 8 months to around 3 they continue to develop at a slow rate.

Though a male Akita would most likely be finished in growth height around 12-16 months, he will not be fully developed until around 3 or even as late as 4 years of age depending upon his lines.

He is a pup and has miles to go yet :)