Dogs Who Are Elderly, Exercise Intolerant And Fairly Immobile...

westiemum

Out walking the westies this week its become apparent that the days of Mac keeping up on a decent walk are over. After his laryngeal paralysis and tie-back surgery mid 2013, he's become really exercise intolerant and in the last couple of weeks he baulks literally every couple of steps and gets progressively more and more unhappy. Not even checking out the pee-mail excites him like it used to. I had to carry him most of the way yesterday - and while I don't mind the work out, its not always practical to lug his lordship around so the others get a decent walk.

Yes I could leave him home and just take the younger two, and some days I'll certainly do that. But Mac is likely to be distressed and I think its important to get him out and about.

So… the time is rapidly approaching where I think I'm going to need some sort of westiemobile. Happy to look at dog prams or similar as long as they don't make him (and me!) look silly. Or any other ideas? How do others move their elderly immobile dogs any distance apart from the car?

TIA.

Edited by westiemum

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

westiemum, on my fb page there is a rescue called "Paws for Thought" Rescue. This is one of their oldmobiles that they use. I hope they don't mind me using the pic. I don't know if it is available to be bought like that as a specific carrier, but it sure fits the bill.

post-34152-0-70095200-1389353736_thumb.jpg

I find as my oldies get older I tend to stop taking them for walks with the main mob. They can't keep up which impacts on the younger dogs as the walks have to be slower and shorter and also to be honest they don't want to come. Instead they get other special times, more car rides, senior tootles to the mail box or just down the road and other things that are more to their liking.

I find as my oldies get older I tend to stop taking them for walks with the main mob. They can't keep up which impacts on the younger dogs as the walks have to be slower and shorter and also to be honest they don't want to come. Instead they get other special times, more car rides, senior tootles to the mail box or just down the road and other things that are more to their liking.

Thanks cowanbree - I think you're right. Its just that I'm having a little difficulty coming to terms with the fact that my darling old boy really is slowing down… I'll have to try leaving him at home with the house-mate so I can see how he reacts… to be honest I think I'll probably have more difficulty with it than Mac will...

Edited by westiemum

Some 18 or so years ago when there didn't seem to be all these doggy prams I made one for my old girl so she wouldn't miss outings. It was one of those metal grid type shopping trolleys. Cut some of the front grid out leaving enough to stop her toppling out but enough that she could have her head & neck free. Thick padded cushion in the bottom for her to sit on & off we went for many a happy stroll with one of the other dogs beside her walking on the lead. She loved it.

I bought a doggy pram from World for Pets for my old Stafford girl. She absolutely did not want to be left at home when the other dogs went for a walk but she was so slow and prone to tire that we had to come up with another option. She found the pram embarrassing but it was a practical solution that enabled her to continue to be part of the pack and get out and about. I will say that it set the more active dogs back on their leash training for a bit both having to manage an old dog walking and also with the pram. We'd get tangles and delays and I spent so much time focussing on the old girl and making sure she was ok that some bad habits developed with the other two. All good now though.

My pram is navy blue and shaped like the pic that Marion added. It took the weight of an sbt with no problems. It has a clip inside that you can attach your dog to and it zips up and there is all see through mesh so the dog is safe from jumping or falling but can see and has plenty of air circulation. The bottom is padded and there is a shelf underneath and a cup tray at the back. We also used the pram at a Peiradise event last year where we had puppies that couldn't go on the ground. The pram and pups drew a lot of attention.

Thank all - great ideas. And thanks for how you did it and/or where to source.

We all love going places together and Mac still gets as excited as the others when his harness comes out - just that he stops at the carport and wants to go in the car rather than for a walk!

We love going to things like Moonlight Cinema in the Botanical Gardens and to have a westiemobile of some sort would be very helpful with that hike from the carpark.

Here's his favourite spot at the moment - on a chair in his 'snooze' next to my desk a moment ago… smile.gif

post-11746-0-37838500-1389355878_thumb.jpg

Edited by westiemum

Westiemum - opposite scenario kinda but I tend to opt for driving to parks when managing different exercise needs. That way whichever one is only suppose to be not doing very much can still have an outing but the more active one gets their need for exercise. Would only work if the younger ones are happy to run around/explore while Mac can explore at his own speed.

My old Emma was an RSPCA dog so we did the million paws walk each year. Her last year she was not capable of the walk, she'd been ill in a variety of ways, was blind and was recovering from pneumonia. We just made a 2 level shopping cart nice and comfy for her! She sat in the top level (closely supervised so she wouldn't try to get out!! But she wasn't really able to anyway) and it was most convenient as we were able to put all the other "stuff" we had with us in the bottom basket! She was nice and comfy, had so many people say hello to her and had a lovely day out!! And it's a pretty cheap option.

Other than that she just used to get walks on her own so she could amble at her pace, not get bowled over by the younger one, and do the distance she wanted. And of course I'd take her out places via the car. Often I'd take her to parks where I could drive to and Kenz could have an off lead run and Em would just meander around near me.

Westiemum - opposite scenario kinda but I tend to opt for driving to parks when managing different exercise needs. That way whichever one is only suppose to be not doing very much can still have an outing but the more active one gets their need for exercise. Would only work if the younger ones are happy to run around/explore while Mac can explore at his own speed.

Yep agreed - thanks Ness - one of our favourite haunts is Scammell Reserve on Fisher Street - and despite it being a relatively short walk from the old house recently I started driving so Mac could come too. He was very happy pottering about, conning treats from the other park users! That's my boy!!! laugh.gif

I spent a week with Ness over Christmas (who at the time was 11 weeks post her CCL repair). Each morning we would drive to the local oval - Kenz would get a run then we would go for a stroll around the backroads to give Ness a bit of an explore.

During Kenz's post surgery recovery and on her bad days we would drive to different parks and she would remain on-lead while Ness got to explore.

Certainly became a master of juggling exercise.

Edited by ness

I tried a couple of different ideas for the Maggot including a kid stroller with a comfy pouch type setup but none suited him. Without really good springing he got too jolted for his stupid flippers/arthritis, and he really wanted to be at ground level sniffing stuff. Having the other dogs with us didn't work because they got bored and wanted to go too fast.

He was happier with a very slow stroll, just two or three houses then I'd carry him across the road to go a couple of houses back again. He loved his car rides too, so he could bark at all the stupid people.

Thanks cowanbree - I think you're right. Its just that I'm having a little difficulty coming to terms with the fact that my darling old boy really is slowing down… I'll have to try leaving him at home with the house-mate so I can see how he reacts… to be honest I think I'll probably have more difficulty with it than Mac will...

Yes, it comes as a shock to discover that your once bundle of energy with whom you could walk for over an hour puts the brakes on :cry::cry: My youngest is now 10 and because I have had so many really old dogs, I still think of her as a puppy :laugh: :laugh: . Whereas I used to walk twice a day for up to an hour each time, I'm our for less than 3/4 hour and that long only because we walk at a snail's pace. Myrtie, at 11 and a half, is still the most sprightly, and if I take her out on her own, we have a pretty racey walk.

Here's his favourite spot at the moment - on a chair in his 'snooze' next to my desk a moment ago… smile.gif

Beautiful photo, Westiemum, and one to treasure.

The photo that Marion 01 posted is gorgeous as are the links Piper posted. The only issue I would have with them is that they are so far off the ground that the dogs wouldn't get all the smells that they love. On the other hand, maybe that is a good thing so they wouldn't be trying to jump out. Just wondering really.

A lady I often see out walking has a low type of doggie stroller she bought in the USA, its like those ones you see kids in behind push bikes .

Her elderly BT was very happy laying in it, its nearer ground level ,nice and wide ,and she had her other 2 dogs either side, it has a big handel along the back, and give's lots of shade cover.

I thought it was a great idea.

1389390091[/url]' post='6392238']

A lady I often see out walking has a low type of doggie stroller she bought in the USA, its like those ones you see kids in behind push bikes .

Her elderly BT was very happy laying in it, its nearer ground level ,nice and wide ,and she had her other 2 dogs either side, it has a big handel along the back, and give's lots of shade cover.

I thought it was a great idea.

Juice that sounds really good too. Have you seen any around to buy?smile.gif

1389367494[/url]' post='6392164']
1389354682[/url]' post='6392075']
1389354354[/url]' post='6392070']

Yes, it comes as a shock to discover that your once bundle of energy with whom you could walk for over an hour puts the brakes on :cry::cry: My youngest is now 10 and because I have had so many really old dogs, I still think of her as a puppy :laugh: :laugh: . Whereas I used to walk twice a day for up to an hour each time, I'm our for less than 3/4 hour and that long only because we walk at a snail's pace. Myrtie, at 11 and a half, is still the most sprightly, and if I take her out on her own, we have a pretty racey walk.

1389355933[/url]' post='6392091']

Beautiful photo, Westiemum, and one to treasure.

The photo that Marion 01 posted is gorgeous as are the links Piper posted. The only issue I would have with them is that they are so far off the ground that the dogs wouldn't get all the smells that they love. On the other hand, maybe that is a good thing so they wouldn't be trying to jump out. Just wondering really.

Thanks DD - juice has just posted about something that is lower to the ground... I'll search but hopefully someone can comeback with more info. I had to see the Yankallilla vet while down the South Coast between Christmas and New Year - she is a great veg and kept calling him 'precious' - which he is. I don't know how long we have left so I just want it to be good for him regardless of how mobile he is.

Could you also take them all out for a short walk so that Mac thinks he is still getting a walk with the others then come home and leave him with a treat or something and take the others back out for a walk.

Susan Garret has an ebook on older dogs and suggested making sure the oldies have a BAT (or Big Adventure Time) each day which is special time just for them as well.

http://susangarrettdogagility.com/2014/01/anti-aging-tips-for-dogs-susan-garretts-ebook-free-for-the-next-5-days/

Ok - have worked out if you search on dog bike trailer a whole raft of these low to the ground doggy mobiles come up. Will investigate further and come back after I've solved next weeks heat problem - which is much more pressing - but please keep any other ideas coming!