Tipping Collie Ears

Mystiqview

I was given a recipe awhile ago to use a safer paste to weight the tips of collie ears.

It had Whiting (white snowcal powder), stockholm tar and castor oil in it.

The recipe I had was to mix equal ingredients of the above. I think however much less liquid is used.

I have tried a google search, without much luck

Thank you. While I am not against taping ears etc. cement and engine oil are both pretty hard chemicals.

This one is easy to get out too and is no way near as harsh on the skin.

I was given some awhile back and I have nearly used it up and am needing to make more

Oh thanks ness :) I thought it may have been the case. Stella has one flat ear & the other is perfect. Not that it matters as she is no show pony :laugh: Maybe I should have done something with it when she was little to help it sit in the perfect envelope shape her other one is. I didn't know BC folks did correctional ear work, just thought it was more for the likes of GSD's etc.

Whitening mixed with enough glycerine to make a paste works very well. Once applied to the ear tip adding some extra whitening to set it finishes the job nicely.

Thanks heaps.

BC crazy,

Yeah, Munch is in the last stages of losing teeth. Her breeder wants to show her in two weeks... Got home from work last week to find one ear standing up.

Whiting/snowcal is just calcium carbonate. They use it in line marking on sports fields. Much nicer than cement.

Edited by Mystiqview

Her real name is Scarlet. It took us awhile to name her, she was known as "munchkin" although she did and does like to munch on anything so it has been shortened to "munch" she responds more to this than her real name.

Yeah pricked ears are a fault. You can kinda get away with heavy ears, depending on what else is in the ring, but pricked- don't bother.

It was just probably something with teething as she is still just 4.5 months. I don't think her owner/breeder would be happy if I didn't do something to stop em pricking.

Stella has one heavy ear. It is just flat. Her other one is perfect. Her dad has the exact same flat ear on the same side. I thought it may correct itself as it started when she was 4.5 months as well but it didn't.

So pricked ears are the big 'no no' then. Sonny's go a bit pricked at times but usually they are almost correct. They seem to have gone slightly pricked at times after he turned about 4ish.

Gee they are very strict with their likes /dislikes in the show ring then. I would love to get into it maybe one day so all this sort of thing interest me. Thanks for sharing :)

Scarlet sounds very pretty....

Whitening mixed with enough glycerine to make a paste works very well. Once applied to the ear tip adding some extra whitening to set it finishes the job nicely.

Thanks heaps.

BC crazy,

Yeah, Munch is in the last stages of losing teeth. Her breeder wants to show her in two weeks... Got home from work last week to find one ear standing up.

Whiting/snowcal is just calcium carbonate. They use it in line marking on sports fields. Much nicer than cement.

I was trying to work out what it was. Cool - we have heaps of that at work if I ever have 1 that needs it. I am guessing mixing it with leather softener would work as well then like the cement powder does.

I have worked out the formula for the gunk to stick ears.

It has always bothered me, sticking things like cement and sump oil on as both of these substances are quite harsh and remove the natural oils to the skin.

Whiting/snowcal is sodium bicarbonate. It is non toxic and is used for a variety of uses including being mixed with water to do line marking. Castor oil and Stockholm tar.

Mix snowcal with oil to make a paste. Add enough Stockholm tar to make the paste tacky, without being solid. Place goop on ears and then pat powdered chalk or cornstarch (talcum) powder to dry.

It simply washes and combs out.

Mystiqview, quick question what do you do with a flat ear to help it stand up again? Is it doable? Just would like to know for future reference. Can't fix Stella's as she isn't a puppy, she's 3 but if I ever get another pup with this issue I will be able to correct it early :)

Edited by BC Crazy

BC. I have never been successful with bracing ears that way.

There are a few methods of frames or braces, cut out cardboard bits taped on the ear. But you need to really start at 8 weeks and go nearly to 6 months.

Much harder if you have more than one dog as they tend to pull it out while playing

It's funny cause Stella's ears were perfect till she was about 6 months,then one just went flat. Yes the bracing sounds quite difficult & keeping it on a bc puppy would be next to impossible. Thanks for sharing your experience :)