Night Time Calming In An Apartment

jdavis33

Hi all, I'm new to this site which came highly recommended :)

We have an 8 week old Australian Bulldog who has been with us for only 3 nights and wakes us up anywhere from 3-8 times a night. She sleeps in a pen with her bed down one end and the fake grass down the other end for toilet training.

When she cries and wakes us up, I go in and pat her and make calming noises which always work, but no other interaction apart from that. I would let her cry but we live in an apartment complex so can't have her making that noise at night.

My questions is: Am i giving her too much attention when she cries? I don't want her to associate crying with getting attention but i can't let her make noise at that time of night. I'm also conscious that she's very young so still getting used to sleeping on her own.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (and here's a pic of the little lady).

Thank you!

post-51256-0-69435500-1389651318_thumb.jpg

That sounds like the first month we had our pup. We had him in a playpen too, and while he did sleep occasionally, there were nights where he would wake up and cry every 30 mins... :(

In the end we broke my 'no dogs in the bedroom' rule without any regrets. We bought a crate, and after a couple of days getting him familiar with it, moved it next to our bed at night, and there was an immediate improvement. I'm not sure if that's something you'd be willing to try, but it worked wonders for us. We still had to get up once or twice a night to take him to the toilet, but we all slept a lot better.

If you don't want to try that, you could look into getting something like a snuggle puppy or night comforter - they're toys with warming pads and a heartbeat.

P.s. she's adorable!! What's her name?

Awww how cute is she :)

Natural to cry being away from her mum & litter mates. All alone & in a strange place with a strange person too.

Yes it probably would be better training to ignore it but can you be so tough ? Is the pen next to your bed ?

Instant cure is to let her sleep with you. She would curl up blissfully content & not even wake up to want to go the toilet.

Must admit that I can't have my tiny ones on the bed for about 6 months as its not safe, so fragile, but I have done it with bigger pups.

If they keep on crying I tend to verbally reassure them but not pat them or pick them up. They soon settle as they feel more secure & get used to everything.

You will get more answers from some that use small crate training & taking pup outside for toilet every couple of hours & ignoring at other times.

Its your pup & it really a question of how you want to raise is & what you are comfortable with.

She is a very new baby & it will get better.Love her :heart:

Of course she snores, she's a bulldog :laugh:

I have two pugs that sleep with me (usually one on my head) and now I can't sleep without their freight train noises, so you do get used to it.

If you're worried about earplugs and not hearing her, maybe schedule based training is the way to go, that way you set the time she goes to the bathroom, she doesn't. But when she cries and you coming and give her attention it may encourage the crying, so pup in crate in your room with snuggly safe toys and out to bathroom a few times a night with no excessive interaction could be the way to a good on-going routine :)

Oh my Frankie is extremely cute !!! Sorry I don't have any advice for you really apart from crating her near your bed. My male BC screamed the place down for the first 3 weeks, every night :eek: I had never had a pup carry on like him. I would tend to him with very little fussing over him, just calm him down. Then one night he just stopped, just like that & to this day he never makes a sound all night.

Welcome , Congrats & enjoy your new Frankie :)

Unfortnately you are teaching her that when she cries you will go to her.

Given your situation, set it up differently so that she is near to you and less likely to make noise in the first place. Tire her before putting her to bed and try to wake in advance to take her to the toileting area.