Collars A Whippy X Can’t Lose!

Steph M

Howdy-doody DOL!

Rosie has mastered the art of slipping off her collar and losing it. We’re going on 4 now. No biggie while she’s on lead as she wears a harness and we have a martingale on order for walking, the issue is during play/running they just come off her pinhead and go.

She’s lost two of the cheap nylon belt-buckle style, one cheap clasp one of a nylon etc and another cheap one I’ve forgotten what it was.

It happens a lot in play, Gus likes to hang on to her collar, and she just loses them when running, no matter how tight or high they are, we often find it in the yard, but I have a fear she will get out somehow, and being pretty skittish she needs a tag or something. She’s also a fairly lean breed, (despite being all muscle…people still tell me I’m cruel and don’t feed her right) and being timid and having a few scars from branches and the like on her thin whippy skin, I just know some dingus will pick her up and decide she’s a stray!

So just looking for ideas for a fairly cheap collar that will stay on her pinhead through running and silly play and the like. I don’t want to spend a bomb, as that’s got me nowhere as such!

I don't leave collars on my greyhounds when they are home. If your other dog is pulling on Rosie's collar and she is slipping them then that is much better then getting tangled up and coming home to one or two dead dogs. A collar does not prevent some idiot keeping your dog, their lack of integrity does.

Edited by Rebanne

I agree rebanne. I should have mentioned she doesn't have one on all the time but it would be nice to have the option to leave it on if we need to.

I do like her having a tag though, happy to stick with a crummy one for the yard but losing it when we are at the park or beach isn't ideal.

I don't let her run and swim in her harness and if I need to grab her for any reason a collar would make life easier.

why not use a harness? If neck width is close to head width, collars are going to be a problem.

I don't really like her running in a harness if I can avoid it, I worry about it impeding her movement and causing an unnatural gait when she runs, and she so loves to run. Haha.

We’ve found the best fitting one we can for her oddball body, but it’s still probably not perfect, looks fine for walking but I’m not comfortable letting her wear it around the park for a few hours if it can be avoided.

What are her neck and head measurements?

Good question....I don't have that at work! I will get those and come back!

Don't tell me she lost her purple bling collar!? she looked so pretty in it :o

Course she did! She is evil! We looked and looked...

Does she wear a wide whippet collar? They are usually worn tighter than normal thin leather collars and my boys who play pretty rough have never slipped them.

THAT! That looks ideal! The trouble is where it sits, I think. Too high and it's too tight for my comfort, too low and they just slide off.

Where, dare I ask, did you get that fab collar?

Would leather withstand swimming and salt water ok?

We went the nylon for that reason but I have a feeling that perhaps they stretch out a little when wet, and that might be part of the cause?

I swear by Blackdog Whippet Collars and being webbing, they are great for the beach or river. They wash up well.

However, I do not leave them on my dogs when I am not around as they are martingales. I have never had one come off a dog.

A fixed collar tight enough not to come off a Whippet style head is a serious choke hazard for a dog left alone. I'd not do it.

Microchips have solved the problem of IDing dogs found without collars. I'd rather leave my dogs naked than risk a choking incident.

THAT! That looks ideal! The trouble is where it sits, I think. Too high and it's too tight for my comfort, too low and they just slide off.

Where, dare I ask, did you get that fab collar?

Would leather withstand swimming and salt water ok?

We went the nylon for that reason but I have a feeling that perhaps they stretch out a little when wet, and that might be part of the cause?

It's a hound collar. Leather doesn't do great in salt water but if you wash the salt off it afterwards and then oil it it should be OK.

I bought several of these collars and have put some in our club raffle. They would fit a greyhound and I had to cut the long tails off them, but they've worn well, the boys have been wearing them for quite a few years now and they still look good. I have a black one and an natural one left if you want to buy one. PM me