Diarrhoea

ChewieTAG

Hi all,

this little girl of mine is having mild bouts of diarrhoea this morning. She poo twice at 3am (soft poo) and I fed her morning meal, chicken breast. And she poo again, very very soft poo and end with a little watery poo. frown.gif

I don't think she has eaten anything else then her own diet but the only additional food I've given her the past 2-3 days was raw beef.

I was just wondering if I should be giving her Baycox? I do have some leftover from her bouts of few weeks diarrhoea when she was 3-4 months old. She was diagnosed with Coccidia. Seriously hope it's not returning!

Now she is 8-9 months old.

I will fast her for 12 hours before feeding her next and monitor her today.

2 soft poos doesn't make an illness or warrant giving her anything.

Maybe try some steamed chicken, no skin, & rice for the next few feeds & then if it doesn't settle see the vet.

They need a full fresh course of antibiotic, if that's whats needed & giving stuff to stop the runs can do the opposite & block them completely.

Could be you are overly nervous because she was ill before.

My boy had coccidia and giardia when he was a pup, and he still gets soft poos occasionally. If that happens I just give him a probiotic and see what happens. It usually fixes things up pretty quickly. If it didn't I'd be heading to the vet. I agree with Christina though - a couple of soft poos don't instantly equate to a problem, but it's certainly worth watching.

Have you got any fruiting trees in the back yard?

My rat bag recently discovered the peach tree. Sloppy poops everywhere until I fenced it off.

that's a good point. Though I watch them like a hawk.... not sure any rats around ... but a lot of birds definitely and they do poo on the grass a lot. Dogs loves to eat the poo.

Have you got any fruiting trees in the back yard?

My rat bag recently discovered the peach tree. Sloppy poops everywhere until I fenced it off.

that's a good point. Though I watch them like a hawk.... not sure any rats around ... but a lot of birds definitely and they do poo on the grass a lot. Dogs loves to eat the poo.

Oh no I meant my puppy is being a ratbag and picking peaches off the tree to eat laugh.gif

very strange.

On Wed after her bouts, I fed her only chicken breast morning and night. She didn't poo anything else after.

Yesterday night, I gave her the Kibbles, then this morning she has the same symptom.

I really wonder if this is kibble related as I've just put her fully on Canidae new formula. Now she is back to chicken breast this morning.

Will be putting her back to the Eukanuba Intestinal plus since she is ok with it, and see if symptoms persist. I guess to the vet then. frown.gif

Edit to add:

her bouts isn't that bad. She will go from firm to very soft to pudding which end with some watery fluid (3 times in between 2-3 hours)..

Edited by chewak

My breeder mentioned that slippery elm is very good at treating the squirts. I am not sure the doses but a quick google should help. a tablespoon of canned pumpkin is favoured by many husky owners as well. I would imagine that steamed or boiled and mashed would work the same as canned??

Take a sample of the stool to the vet and ask for a fecal float to check for coccidia. Do NOT dose with anything unless you know excatly what you are dealing with...

You've just started the dog on a different food - maybe that is part of the problem? Can you try giving her the other kibble you were originally using?

T.