Best Courses You Have Attended

colliehound

Hi there.

I am wondering if you can share about the best doggy courses you have ever attended? Obedience, first aid, nutrition, grooming, general health, puppy intro, etc etc etc

Or is there something you would like to attend? Eg doggy biscuit baking, how to cook your own dog food, lead making, food table building etc.

I am interested in what made it good, how long was it, what did it cost and would you go again?

Thanks!!

Colliehound

I've done a few over the last couple of years;

Kamal Fernandez (UK trainer) is brilliant at reading dog body language and tweaking people's handling to better work with their dogs.

Ian Dunbar's K9 Games was great fun, and I got some great training games to use in my own classes, plus my dogs won quite a few games!

Denise Fenzi's workshop last year was brilliant. Positively Powered Up did a great job running them (little touches, like giving everyone their own ceramic coffee mug, great morning teas and decorated cookies and cake pops as gifts) and Denise's heeling games are just wonderful. Her take on inspiring your dogs to want to work with you had me in a constant state of mind blown excitement, and she's a really good presenter too. I've since done some of her online training courses, via the Fenzi Academy, and I highly recommend them as well.

Kris Kotsopoulos seminars - awesome!! Would even redo the one I did on achieving high level obedience again.

Underdog Training workshops with Cosmolo. I do these every year and they are fantastic for people of all levels.

Wouldn't do Ian Dunbar again, though I did learn things he was a bit too arrogant for my liking

Several seminar/workshops at Camp Tailwaggers have been great .. Mary Ray from UK, Sue Hogben from WA , and Kamal Fernandez. I couldn't get to Denise Fenzi's seminars last year, but I've been doing several courses offered by Fenzi Dog Sports Academy .. they have been great value. And I loved the week with Nancy Gye in Sydney last year. As Kavik said, even if you're quite experienced as a trainer and handler, there are always new insights to be gained, and tweaking of technique.

I haven't done any, but I think it's a great topic. It's made me think of all the topics I'd love to learn about ... from people who really know their stuff.

I heard 2 people being interviewed on Radio National. Both had expert knowledge about dogs living beside humans in our lifestyles. One was from Sydney University, the other was from University of WA. They were so practical & down to earth. Just the kind of people I'd love to do a course with.

It would be interesting to go see Michael Ellis - he has some interesting ideas and great technique.

His courses are pretty good value too. It's just the flights that are cost prohibitive! One training group that I know of has said that they're looking to bring him to Melbourne.

DD - I would love to train with Sylvia - I love her attitude to training.

Thanks for all the input. I will go and check those out. Sorry for the delay in coming back. Internet issues.

Would anyone be interested in a "natural products for dogs - or how to keep your pet entertained while you are at work" type course?

Thanks