Editing

I have just discovered the edit on my Nikon viewer and suddenly realize the huge benefits of working on photos and editing as a complex skill in itself.

I edited this photo adjusting colour and contrast, brightness. Do you have any feedback please, including your thoughts on how you approach it.

12183407463_49f9ccf67f_z.jpg

DSC_0153 by christinerjudd, on Flickr

The original:

12183905576_771abe373a_z.jpg

DSC_0153 by christinerjudd, on Flickr

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to teh dark side :p

on my monitor, that top one looks very "blue" and possibly a little too contrasty.... ? Everyone's montor and eye sees things differently ....

Ok.. a minute playing in windows live gallery "FIX" ( which is a wonderful thing on my new-to-me- lappie) post-1359-0-35756300-1390884378_thumb.jpg

oh.. how do I approach it?

I look at the photo ..and wonder if the colours/detail are what I could see when lining up the shot? Does the dog really have a blue tint to their fur- is that eye really a wishy washy fawn ..are those leaves so devoid of detail?

Then I play around until I think it looks like it did , I R L

I edited on the Nikon viewer but I also think that Flickr may offer edit facilities too?? There are things in there that I have no idea about what they mean. I also began cropping and thought I could possibly get ten images out of one :laugh:

for years & years I used PICASA ..as I had windows XP on my computer , cannot for the life of me understand photoshop or GIMP , etc ...

Since getting this new-to-me lappie which has windows 7 on .. I am using the "fix" tools provided for the little tweaks most pics require :) So easy ..and I can manage to do lots of other things from that window :)I dare say it has been updated now .... have a look!

I also use Sagelight Image Editing daily!

here's a screenshot for you ...

post-1359-0-88247000-1390885762_thumb.jpg

Do either of you lovely people shoot in RAW? If so, what do you find are the biggest benefits of doing so?

I only have the Canon Digital Photo Professional that came with my camera(s) that will edit RAW format... and I find it very confusing as to what I'm really supposed to do with it anyways... errr! I use it to maybe punch a little bit of contrast or sharpness into photos that are taken through glary glass and the like... apart from that, there's no other editing done at all.

I downloaded Irfanview once, but that's even more confusing to work out...

T.

*points at the LOVELY persephone*

You IS lovely!

I've been pretty much in the JPG "camp" since forever, so all of the extra work involved with editing RAW images really doesn't appeal to me at all... especially when you look at how many photos I will take on a day out... errr! I'm hard pressed enough to go through the JPGs and pick my faves... lol!

Then again, I look at some of the RAW editing jobs people are doing, and think "what if?"...

I'd need a very large SD card if I were to shoot RAW+JPG to get the best of both worlds... a slow day for me is around 600 photos... and an average day will be around 1200 photos. I've peaked at 1900+ photos a couple of times... errr!

T.

Thankyou :o

..imagines T's computer groaning under the assault of all those extra pixels ............... LOL

maybe , once a month or something, set yourself up to do a couple hours R A W on a dedicated RAW card .... store them seperately , and edit when you feel like it ?

Could be a goer while I'm recovering from gallbadder removal surgery in a couple of weeks... *grin*

RAW files on my camera are around 3 to 4 times the filesize of JPG - so shooting RAW+JPG would work out to approximately 1/5th the number of photos fitting on my card - so around 400 photos on the 16GB card I currently have here...

T.

I shoot in RAW because I like working with clean, unprocessed, large files that can be manipulated to my liking.

I don't want my camera to edit for me - I want to do it.

It's purely a personal preference. Most professionals will shoot in RAW, but there are those that shoot in jpeg (and hats off to them for getting it so spot on! When I'm shooting a wedding, there are always times when I am changing settings on the fly and sometimes I do get it wrong).

FF - they say your first 10 000 images are your worst, which I totally agree with. I would take it further and say that the first 20 000 images that you edit are your worst :p There are a lot of badly processed images around, but there are no doubt people that don't like the way I process either - like I said, it's personal.

Do either of you lovely people shoot in RAW? If so, what do you find are the biggest benefits of doing so?

I only have the Canon Digital Photo Professional that came with my camera(s) that will edit RAW format... and I find it very confusing as to what I'm really supposed to do with it anyways... errr! I use it to maybe punch a little bit of contrast or sharpness into photos that are taken through glary glass and the like... apart from that, there's no other editing done at all.

T.

No, I'm shooting in JPG. I saw the RAW button but am not sure how to switch to that even if I wanted! Sagelight looksgood Perse. It is on special for $39.95 but I shall have to wait. I do have Windows 7 so shall see what is in there.

I see what you mean about too bluish when compared with what you did. You knew what type of bird it was too I see!

I shoot in RAW because I like working with clean, unprocessed, large files that can be manipulated to my liking.

It's purely a personal preference. Most professionals will shoot in RAW, but there are those that shoot in jpeg (and hats off to them for getting it so spot on! When I'm shooting a wedding, there are always times when I am changing settings on the fly and sometimes I do get it wrong).

FF - they say your first 10 000 images are your worst, which I totally agree with. I would take it further and say that the first 20 000 images that you edit are your worst :p There are a lot of badly processed images around, but there are no doubt people that don't like the way I process either - like I said, it's personal.

huga..I like your editing style :)

So what's your preferred editing software, and how hard is it to learn how to use huga?

I'm far from professional - I just like taking lots of nice pics of zoo animals/birds/dogs... *grin*... I basically whack the camera in the Sports preset, aim it at something I find interesting and take lots of pics...

That said, I'd like to maybe learn a bit more of what my Canon 60D is actually capable of giving me, but have a complete aversion to doing courses where they try to push everyone into a particular "style" or method of shooting stuff.

T.

T.

this is all I use

T.

No, I'm shooting in JPG. I saw the RAW button but am not sure how to switch to that even if I wanted! Sagelight looksgood Perse. It is on special for $39.95 but I shall have to wait. I do have Windows 7 so shall see what is in there.

I see what you mean about too bluish when compared with what you did. You knew what type of bird it was too I see!

apostles are my favourite! :)

saqgelight has a trial period :)

What I love about it is that each time I put the cursor on a task etc ..info pops up to remind me what it does ... :o

post-1359-0-61205200-1390890912_thumb.jpg

T.

this is all I use

Is there a halfway readable manual for DPP Kirislin... I'm confused enough just using it to adjust contrast/sharpening... lol!

T.