Debarking Myths And Facts

Guest Roka

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have debarked several dogs over the years and have one now who is debarked.

If you have a dog that is constantly barking and nothing you try is working them I highly recommend debarking.

It will depend on how good your vet is and also how quiet you keep your dog after the surgery. It is best not to let them bark for the first few days as scar tissue can affect the surgery and your dog will still bark. I keep mine quiet for at least week and none of mine can be heard. The dog itself has no idea and will continue to bark and howl.

I have seen many owners so stressed about their dogs barking and until you have been in the situation it is fine to say debarking is cruel extra but without debarking many dogs would of been put to sleep. Rehoming is not really an option as your are just transferring a problem dog unto someone else who is more than likely to either rehome again or have the dog put down.

You will need a statdec signed by a JP stating that you have tried everything else and research your vets, find one who has done this surgery many times and possible speaks to owners of those dogs to make sure they are happy.

Do not let anyone tell you that you are a cruel owner, that debarked dogs suffer etc, just tell them to walk in your shoes :banghead:

Have you actually had complaints?

I have debarked dogs in the past and currently own one debarked dog but would only do it if I really had to, not as a precaution. They can still bark but the tone changes and depending on the vet you use and their experience the volume is about 1/2 to 1/4 of the former volume. The most important thing for a successful debark is to only use an experienced vet.

Hi,

>Have you actually had complaints?

Yes, constantly from my husband. However, we are considering selling our 3 acre semi rural property and moving to a house on a smaller house block closer to neighbors so I am concerned that my dogs barking will become a problem. :o(

Thanks for this info. I have not yet resorted to the surgery and am only considering it right now. I would only do it as a last resort as I think it is a very unnatural thing to have to do.

However, on researching it I think it would be a better alternative then actually having to give up or re-home my dog whom I love to bits!

I posted to see if anybody else out there has done this procedure to their dog but see it's a very sensitive topic. I agree that it's an extreme measure to go to and would only do it if I have no other choice.

I live in rural regional southern NSW and it's been hovering around 40c for the last two weeks now and is way too hot to take my dogs for long walks so they are exercise deprived at the moment which has exacerbated my young dog's barking. :o(

Thanks for your reply. :o)

Paula

[email protected]

I still don't understand why anyone would debark a dog without even trying a bark collar.

Electric bark collars are illegal in NSW. No exceptions.

Other training, playing with the dog, giving the dog exercise. Many other options to try first. Or even a non-electric bark collar.

Dog owners considering bark softening should make themselves well aware of the laws and regulations that exist regarding this procedure. For example in Victoria where dogs which have been debarked can not be exhibited (eg such as in a show or obedience trial or even perhaps at some other type of event that you want to take part in with your dog). We should all remember the case not so long ago of the breeder (Judy Garde) who had her dogs confiscated and was charged/taken to court and put through no end of stress and hurt simply because she had had some of ther dogs debarked (some in NSW if I remember correctly), and they had attended a dog show. So any recommendation for the procedure must be made with extreme care.

I wonder who polices this? As there is a dog I see semi regularly at shows that has been de-barked and it is very obvious, the sound of a debarked dog is quite horrible (I find it a more offensive and grating noise than the noise of an actual bark!).

Debarking isn't a sensitive topic for me. I would rather debark than have to use a bark collar for an extended period of time. It is natural for a dog to bark and some breeds like my own are more prone to barking than others. By debarking you lower the volume and reduce the stress for everyone including the dog that is being constantly told off for barking - everyone is happy although it may still annoy your husband as they are still barking.

Having said that there are ways to train and control barking without resorting to surgery. I have a water pistol inside and after a few squirts with it, my dogs are very quiet when my hand drifts towards it. For outside I also have a long whip that makes a very impressive noise when hit on the fence or table etc and instantly quiets the dogs. It also works just by picking it up, and pointing it at the offending party - they hate the noise.

If you do decide to debark do your research and only go to a very experienced vet who has done many debarks - not your normal vet. Most people will travel many hours for a good debark vet as otherwise they don't tend to work.

Dog owners considering bark softening should make themselves well aware of the laws and regulations that exist regarding this procedure. For example in Victoria where dogs which have been debarked can not be exhibited (eg such as in a show or obedience trial or even perhaps at some other type of event that you want to take part in with your dog). We should all remember the case not so long ago of the breeder (Judy Garde) who had her dogs confiscated and was charged/taken to court and put through no end of stress and hurt simply because she had had some of ther dogs debarked (some in NSW if I remember correctly), and they had attended a dog show. So any recommendation for the procedure must be made with extreme care.

I wonder who polices this? As there is a dog I see semi regularly at shows that has been de-barked and it is very obvious, the sound of a debarked dog is quite horrible (I find it a more offensive and grating noise than the noise of an actual bark!).

Anyone who exhibits a debarked dog in Victoria, particularly someone who LIVES in Victoria, is running a huge risk IMO. Not one I'd be prepared to risk.

ETA if you ring Dogs Victoria and enquire about showing a debarked dog in Victoria when you and the dog live out of state and have ALWAYS lived out of State you will be told it is illegal.

Edited by Trisven13

I still don't understand why anyone would debark a dog without even trying a bark collar.

Electric bark collars are illegal in NSW. No exceptions.

Other training, playing with the dog, giving the dog exercise. Many other options to try first. Or even a non-electric bark collar.

For sure.

Well of course a bark collar should not be the first option in normal circumstances, but a person under extreme stress through illness in the family and who is considering debarking could opt for a collar option. Though I understand the stim type are illegal in some states.