To Vaccinate Or Not?

Tru Borders

Just so you know, the heartworm injection is not a 'vaccination', nor is it a 'preventative' - it is rather the injection of a poison (similar to what is in the tablets) designed to last in the body over the twelve months to kill heartworm if/after your dog gets them at any stage during that period.

There are two other threads currently in the 'health/nutrition/grooming' section which discuss Titres and how much they cost, so you may want to go read that info there.

Edited by espinay2

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so you know, the heartworm injection is not a 'vaccination', nor is it a 'preventative' - it is rather the injection of a poison (similar to what is in the tablets) designed to last in the body over the twelve months to kill heartworm if/after your dog gets them at any stage during that period.

There are two other threads currently in the 'health/nutrition/grooming' section which discuss Titres and how much they cost, so you may want to go read that info there.

Thanks Espinay2!! Will do :)

I do puppy vacc's, then a booster at 15months. Previously I had given them the trienniel at 15 months, with the view to give them that as titre testing was $250 per dog down here. I have been informed now it is around $80 so will be titre testing them when their vacc would be due and going from there.

Previously my older dogs were not vaccinated once they were around 6 to 8. Now I have boarding kennels I woudln't do that which is why I went trienniel and will now titre.

I use Sentinel Spectrum as many dogs that come to the kennels bring fleas which I then have to treat them for, by using Sentinel spectrum I don't need to worry about them bringing home fleas that then dump flea eggs everywhere in my house. I also HATE fleas with a passion and grade them with roaches in their disgustingness. Worms are much the same so I prefer to have them treated. I do not use the yearly heartworm vaccination and have not used it for many many years. We don't have tick issues - apart from some kangeroo ticks but fleas breed here like anything, shocking at this time of year. Just going to dog training will yield a few fleas per dog - yuk!

My children are vaccinated but I don't do them every year, and I do not believe dogs need to be done every year.

Edited by OSoSwift

My Vet is definitely an Annual pusher so might consider finding a new one, or just standing ground.

How much have you paid for Titre testing and do vets do it or will I need to find a specialty practice?

Interesting that your vet is still pushing for annual vaccinations, the Australian Veterinary Association's position statement is:

'While adverse reactions to vaccines are not widespread, there is a consensus in the scientific community that veterinarians should aim to reduce the vaccine load on individual animals to minimise any risks of adverse reactions, if this can be done without compromising the animal’s immunity to disease.

The scientific sources quoted in the AVA position statement outline the available evidence that supports extended duration of immunity for the core vaccines. In summary, improvements to vaccines have increased their effectiveness, and new studies have indicated that immunity lasts longer than previously thought.

In making the change to triennial core vaccinations, Australia follows the veterinary profession in other developed countries. Most universities have been teaching veterinary students triennial core vaccination for several years. The American Animal Hospital Association, the American Veterinary Medical Association, the American Association of Feline Practitioners, the New Zealand Veterinary Association, the British Veterinary Association and the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (among others) have all moved away from standard annual protocols in favour of a tailored approach that takes individual factors into consideration.'

The full AVA page is here: My link

The last time my dog had a titre test (a few months ago) it was around $60.

I have read all the relevant info on vaccinating and not vaccinating. After that I made the decision not to vaccinate every year as recommended by my vet but to titre test instead. Then began my journey to find a vet that even knew what titre testing was and one that would happily do it without it costing me an arm and a leg. In my town I had zero success with that so I rang around vets further afield...again zero success. So I caved into pressure and got his yearly booster. Not happy but least I tried :(

Puppy vaccination then Titre to confirm sero-conversion. Other titres I've had have been for interest only, or to satisfy requirements.

No flea issue, so I don't de-flea.

Heartworm cases where I am are almost non-existent as the temperature is generally not congenial to the development of heartworm, so weighing up detriment of the chemical necessary to administer -vs- likelihood, I opted for no.

No tick issue, so don't use tick preventative.

Doesn't have worms, so don't use wormer. (Low worm burden eradicated with use of natural herbs).

I use Calendula Tea, Active Manuka Honey and Lugol's Solution for various periodic ailments, so have been able to avoid the use of antibiotics and cortisone.

In essence, no chemicals used here whatsoever, beyond the initial puppy vaccine (and, given my dog's sensitivities, I'm not sure that didn't trigger his health issues - but that's not to say I'm opposed to puppy vaccine per se).

Edited by Erny

I pay $60 per dog for titre testing. It pays to look around, if a vet has an account set up with vetpath that is all it should cost. Some may charge a consult on top but most wont if you ask for just the bloods drawn and tested. I don't like the idea of the heartworm preventative as that is an awful lot of poison to put in their system in 1 hit, particularly puppies. It also contains ivermectin which I would never risk with a border collie. It amazes me the number of vets who don't realise the danger of using ivermectin in breeds that have tested sensitive to it. BCs are only turning out to be about 5% worldwide affected but you just don't know.

I remember a few years ago the vet I first went to for titre testing said that they only reason they got people in for annual vaccinations was because otherwise your average pet would go 3 years between checkups and too many early signs of problems were missed as a result. People didn't tend to come in just for an "annual checkup" so they stuck with annual vaccinations as an incentive (even though it was the norm for most vets at that time, she didn't necessarily agree with it).

I have read all the relevant info on vaccinating and not vaccinating. After that I made the decision not to vaccinate every year as recommended by my vet but to titre test instead. Then began my journey to find a vet that even knew what titre testing was and one that would happily do it without it costing me an arm and a leg. In my town I had zero success with that so I rang around vets further afield...again zero success. So I caved into pressure and got his yearly booster. Not happy but least I tried :(

That sounds like the conversation I had with a vet last year. I didn't cave in though. He knew little to nothing about titre testing and told me I was 'uneducated' because I refused the annual vacc and wanted to titre test.

He told me a titre test would cost around $280-300 per dog. So he knew enough to try to overcharge me. I imagine he quoted that price to put me off and it worked because I sure wouldn't use him to mess around trying to find out how to titre my dogs.

I'm uneducated? What colour was that pot who called the kettle black?

Needless to say I don't see that vet any more.

I pay $60 per dog for titre testing. It pays to look around, if a vet has an account set up with vetpath that is all it should cost. Some may charge a consult on top but most wont if you ask for just the bloods drawn and tested. I don't like the idea of the heartworm preventative as that is an awful lot of poison to put in their system in 1 hit, particularly puppies. It also contains ivermectin which I would never risk with a border collie. It amazes me the number of vets who don't realise the danger of using ivermectin in breeds that have tested sensitive to it. BCs are only turning out to be about 5% worldwide affected but you just don't know.

I remember a few years ago the vet I first went to for titre testing said that they only reason they got people in for annual vaccinations was because otherwise your average pet would go 3 years between checkups and too many early signs of problems were missed as a result. People didn't tend to come in just for an "annual checkup" so they stuck with annual vaccinations as an incentive (even though it was the norm for most vets at that time, she didn't necessarily agree with it).

I've only ever seen one vet who was aware of the dangers of ivermectin in Australian Shepherds. It's not very comforting!

I talked to her about Ivermectin and she brushed me off like a bad smell. I doubt she knew anything about it to tell the truth based on her reaction.

I just wish they would take the time to give Educated AND Neutral advice or info and then let us decide.

Yeah I know its my responsibility and that I make the decisions .... but I guess im living in a dream world ;)

I've only ever seen one vet who was aware of the dangers of ivermectin in Australian Shepherds. It's not very comforting!

We didn't ever test for it, but we are pretty sure that is a problem with my boy (a BC). He threw up two months in a row immediately (within 24 hours) of receiving an ivermectin based product. We now use different products. It's very important to be aware!

I go to the only vet in town that even knows what an Australian Shepherd is! Uni recommended him to me laugh.gif

We didn't ever test for it, but we are pretty sure that is a problem with my boy (a BC). He threw up two months in a row immediately (within 24 hours) of receiving an ivermectin based product. We now use different products. It's very important to be aware!

Definitely! I haven't tested mine but I avoid the products anyway to be safe.

curious: why don't you test?

Yes, I vaccinate my dogs in accordance with the AVA's revised 3 yearly protocol after puppy shots and the 1 year booster.

It is also a requirement that my dogs be vaccinated for entry in to all ANKC sanctioned dog events and every entry form requires you to confirm that has been done. IMO titre tests are as good as that.

If you choose not to vaccinate your dog, that's your prerogative but do other dog owners a favour and keep your dog out of dense dog population areas like off lead areas. You should also NEVER set foot in the bush. I may not like foxes but they don't deserve to die of distemper and neither do dingoes.

curious: why don't you test?

I did look into it, but I had already started giving her flea and worm treatments without ivermectin so didn't see the need. I should do it, partly laziness :/

Yes, I vaccinate my dogs in accordance with the AVA's revised 3 yearly protocol after puppy shots and the 1 year booster.

It is also a requirement that my dogs be vaccinated for entry in to all ANKC sanctioned dog events and every entry form requires you to confirm that has been done. IMO titre tests are as good as that.

If you choose not to vaccinate your dog, that's your prerogative but do other dog owners a favour and keep your dog out of dense dog population areas like off lead areas. You should also NEVER set foot in the bush. I may not like foxes but they don't deserve to die of distemper and neither do dingoes.

Haredown, titre tests are not a substitute for vaccination. They can indicate immunity or not and so the results of the titre test must be within the accepted scale to confer immunity.

Vaccination alone also does not necessarily mean that the dog is immune.

The ANKC rule on vaccination is very clear. It states that dogs MUST have been vaccinated. It doesnt state a time frame (eg within the last 12 months) nor does it say that the dog must have proof of immunity.

If a dog has not been vaccinated at all for whatever reason, or is a non-responder, then it will only be a threat to the health of any other dog if it is shedding virus. ie if it has been infected. Any dog that has been vaccinated by whatever effective method will not be at risk by associating with an unvaccinated animal.

In actual fact dogs that have had a MLV vaccine administered WILL shed virus for a short period after so they can also be a threat to dogs that are not immune...... or to foxes or dingos.

In answer to the OP's question........ I vaccinate my dogs but I do not do them annually and they are revaccinated when appropriate.