Shaved Pug

Snout Girl

Poor little pug :( that's horrible.

A sunburnt dog is no fun for anyone. We made the mistake of getting our previous (white) BC x clipped years ago (before I knew any better) and they clipped him WAY too short, much shorter than we asked for. :mad

The poor bugger ended up sunburnt ALL over, despite having to put copious amounts of sunscreen all over him, and sore and crusty. It was horrible.

I regularly get people coming into work asking if there is a brush/ way to stop there dog from shedding sooooooo much...... Usually they say that no one told them that pugs/ labs/ JRTs shed........ Argh! :banghead:

There is something called a "Furminator" which is pretty good but you have to do it constantly.

Unfortunately there aren't always owners who are bothered to be constant with something like that.

If you are going to have a dog shaved bald then you'd have to be prepared to be very responsible in other ways ie sun protection or ensuring they were warm enough.

My vets has a groomer and apparently he is constantly grooming matted dogs. There's no excuse for that either, you just make regular appointments and stick to them plus brush your dog in between.

So many crappy owners out there ...

Yep, Jager gets brushed every day and our lounge room is still covered in a new layer of hair each day.

On the plus side, the local birds love the handful of hair i get off him every day. They come in and steal it away, i assume they use it for their nests??

There is something called a "Furminator" which is pretty good but you have to do it constantly.

Unfortunately there aren't always owners who are bothered to be constant with something like that.

If you are going to have a dog shaved bald then you'd have to be prepared to be very responsible in other ways ie sun protection or ensuring they were warm enough.

My vets has a groomer and apparently he is constantly grooming matted dogs. There's no excuse for that either, you just make regular appointments and stick to them plus brush your dog in between.

So many crappy owners out there ...

Yep, usually direct them to the furminator, and its (not as good in my opinion) competitor/ rip off the Shedeze. Most of them baulk at the price..... Sigh. I know you can get them cheaper online, but I'm not suppose to tell people that....... :/

After Rockys experience I would NEVER shave/ have a dog shaved, despite our best efforts he still suffered from it, and I think that most people that are shaving their dogs because of shedding aren't the ones who are going to put in extra work to protect their poor naked dogs. :(

I think I would rather see a shaved dog than a matted to the skin one though........

I fail to understand why anyone would get a dog and then complain about the hair......WTF did they think was going to happen?

Shaving dogs is my biggest pet peeve. If you don't want to deal with moulting or grooming get a HAIRLESS breed, or a toy.

Agree. They have a coat for a reason!

Yep, Jager gets brushed every day and our lounge room is still covered in a new layer of hair each day.

On the plus side, the local birds love the handful of hair i get off him every day. They come in and steal it away, i assume they use it for their nests??

They do! I always brush Mo out the back and leave the hair for the birds. I see them come down and grab clumps of it for their nests. It's the circle of hair! :laugh:

Seriously though, I vacuum pretty much every day as I have two medium to giant dogs with double coats. It tajes ten mins. Big deal. That's dogs! They shed!

Meant to say too...little spiky hairs are a nightmare, I'd much rather normal hair as it clumps up and is easier to get rid of.

Edited by Aussie3

I had no idea how much Bloodhounds shed till Earl lost his winter coat this year - the fluffy undercoat coming out made him look absolutely moth eaten - so we brush him regularly (outside) and are getting tiles instead of carpet :)

I have a Bamboo deshedder which is basically the same as a Furminator. I have a new blade for it there but haven't put it on yet and the original is heading for 5 years old now! I have a strategy of using the deshedder when they have their bath(as in actually in the water), it gets heaps off and they look so nice afterwards. Do that once a fortnight and it's working great for us :)

Whaaat?! That is terrible! The poor little Pug.

It's horrible when you have short, spiky hairs on your legs (I don't shave anymore, I wax). Imagine what it would be like having that covering your entire body and how irritating it would be.

Doesn't bother everyone. I shave my legs & I cannot feel the hair growing back anymore than I can feel the hair on my head growing. Which is not at all of course.

My poodles bodies are shaved with a number 10 every summer. They have pom poms on head, tail & ankle bracelets so they look poodley & they never itch or bother about it. They are quite relieved to get rid of their long winter semi show clip style & run & prance about when it first comes off with great glee as though saying look I am free.

A dog doesn't care about its haircut only people do & only idiots leave their dogs out for long in extreme heat/full sun anyway. They can get cancer & sunburn on their noses, ears, eyes even with a long coat.

Edited by Christina

I have a short coat Chihuahua client that I shave reverse 7# every 4 to 6 weeks. He looks great and is a very much loved house pet. Who am i to judge how the owners want to care for their dog, if what I do doesnt harm the dog, and in fact makes him much more part of the family in this particular case due to good hygiene and reduced shedding.

After 28 years of grooming I shaved my first Labrador (cross, but almost a Lab!) last week! I did a reverse 4# so the dog still had a bit of cover.

shaved Lab x

before /after shaved SC Chihuahua