Trick For My Pup

My pup is 13.5 weeks and has puppy school graduation in 2 weeks.

He needs to learn a cute trick outside of the usual sit, drop, stay, come, stand, shake and roll over.

I want something fairly simple as he's not doing complex things yet. He also doesn't do much over half an hours worth of training at a time.

Any suggestions?

"walk back) - as in walk back away from you, facing you - is fairly easy to get started with. You can start sitting in a kitchen/dining type chair, gently throw a piece of food under the seat of the chair - not too far, cue the pup to get it, then usually the pup will back out from under so that s/he can see your face again - you click/mark and reward the backward step - the first step backwards if you can. Rinse and repeat, and as the pup gets it, just withhold the C/T for another foot movement - it can build up pretty soon into quite a few steps. Then you can start putting a cue on it - I use "walk back". :laugh:

ETA Have fun at graduation, and remember to keep training sessions very short and upbeat - then you can get lots of them in over the course of a day. :D

Edited by Tassie

I turned "shake" into "high five" pretty easily, which is cute. Spin is also pretty easy and gets lots of applause.

At 13.5 weeks half an hours training is a lot in one go, you might get more out of him by breaking it down into much much smaller bits of time.

Actually I found back very easy to train. I did it when feeding dinner. I make their dinner and they are very focused on me and their bowl! Then I take a step towards them and say back and they remain facing me but move backwards a few steps and I then treat with a little something from their bowl. Now I can just say back and they know to move backwards :)

ACE IDEA! Vinnie will follow his bowl off a cliff. He does this fabulous little 'dinner dance' before sitting. He sits automatically now and is nearly able to wait for it to hit the ground before he goes for it. *proud mamma*

I was also thinking of teaching him 'selfie' where I hold my phone infront of him and he places a paw on it ala Digby Van Winkle and Alo :rofl: being gen y I think it's completely appropriate :laugh:

We had to do the same to graduate from puppy school! I taught the salute trick by gently blowing towards his face and he would wipe his face. I would say 'Salute' at the same time and treat. It was the one trick he learnt really quickly . He now does it all the time when he wants something!