Susan Garrett - Hypnotist ....

Got an email from the Susan Garrett this morning ... watched the video .... oh my ... where's the buy button???

post-4939-0-72340300-1392329519_thumb.jpg

whoa! ... apply coffee ... thinks ..... oh yeah I already have a subscription to one of these courses (didn't cost anything like that btw) ... which may be ended but I have no idea because I couldn't get into it ... and somehow just never got round to cancelling within the 30 days ....

I swear the woman has got some sort of subliminal hypnotism thing going .... how does she get me reaching for the buy button when I KNOW this style of learning doesn't work for me?

Is it just me? Or does she have this effect on everyone.

(not dissing her training, she's clearly bloody good at what she does)

Got an email from the Susan Garrett this morning ... watched the video .... oh my ... where's the buy button???

post-4939-0-72340300-1392329519_thumb.jpg

whoa! ... apply coffee ... thinks ..... oh yeah I already have a subscription to one of these courses (didn't cost anything like that btw) ... which may be ended but I have no idea because I couldn't get into it ... and somehow just never got round to cancelling within the 30 days ....

I swear the woman has got some sort of subliminal hypnotism thing going .... how does she get me reaching for the buy button when I KNOW this style of learning doesn't work for me?

Is it just me? Or does she have this effect on everyone.

(not dissing her training, she's clearly bloody good at what she does)

LOL. I know what you mean. She is a marketing machine and not a bad dog trainer to go with it. Was just amazing to watch her and her dogs when we were in the US.

Ah yes Nek but will you have just trained the current dogs or given you a whole new approach to training subsequent dogs. My view is yes its expensive and out of my price range but I do believe she is actually a highly skilled trainer and teacher. The bits of "free" stuff she makes available would suggest as much.

Ah yes Nek but will you have just trained the current dogs or given you a whole new approach to training subsequent dogs.

I give the owners the skills to shape behavior and understand why things happen. I even hand people a dog that is not their own so they can learn where the gaps in their handling are.

I'm not a rinse and repeat, on trick pony. That's too boring ;) I have clients that have gotten new puppies or another dog and we havn't had to start again from scratch with them they have the skills to kick off the training unaided. I just don't hold the belief that training needs to be so darn expensive that only the privilaged few are entitled to it.

Edited by Nekhbet

Ah yes Nek but will you have just trained the current dogs or given you a whole new approach to training subsequent dogs.

I give the owners the skills to shape behavior and understand why things happen. I even hand people a dog that is not their own so they can learn where the gaps in their handling are.

I'm not a rinse and repeat, on trick pony. That's too boring ;) I have clients that have gotten new puppies or another dog and we havn't had to start again from scratch with them they have the skills to kick off the training unaided. I just don't hold the belief that training needs to be so darn expensive that only the privilaged few are entitled to it.

Which is great for people who have access to you. What about the rest of the population that don't have access to good dog trainers?

I have done her recallers course and loved it but as I don't do agility this sort of course isn't for me. She has hinted at doing an online 'pet' owners course.

Hahah this made me laugh - I think it looks great and plenty of people will get their money's worth - I wouldn't because I know I wouldn't do everything I would be meant to do because I am easily distracted hehe - but yes SG is a well oiled slick marketing machine, she knows what she is good at.

I was amazed at the production quality of the 'preview' videos for Handling 360 too, certainly come a long way since the old low quality low budget agility videos :laugh:

She's marrying agility training and marketing together like no one else, that's for sure!

I haven't done an SG course and I don't do agility so it has no real interest for me, but she does have a large following and many happy clients. If people want to pay that amount for her courses and are happy with the results who cares what it costs, she wouldn't price it like that unless people were willing to pay for it.

Online courses for dog sport competitors is a niche market and it obviously works well for her. If people don't want to or can't pay it there are generally many other options available. Club training, classes, cheaper trainers, other online courses. most people are not lacking in other training options.

Online courses for dog sport competitors is a niche market and it obviously works well for her. If people don't want to or can't pay it there are generally many other options available. Club training, classes, cheaper trainers, other online courses. most people are not lacking in other training options.

Exactly. I think Susan is AWESOME, but this time around I know I won't get the value out of it because I just don't have the time to commit. I think the thing is that this stuff is not just about getting a dog titled. That is easy.

This is for people who want to be at the pointy end of agility, whether it is here or abroad. It's for people chasing tenths of a second (but will help those chasing tens of seconds as well - I have dogs in both categories and it is working for both.)

I think the proof is in the pudding with this stuff. For Susan Garrett and Lynda Orton-Hill to still be matching it with the super fit, stick think 20 year olds in what is becoming and increasingly youth dominated sport at a world level speaks volumes for her ability as a trainer/motivator/technician. Not for everyone, but you can't deny the formula works.

I think the criticism that it is a cookie cutter approach is probably justified if you haven't had a heap of exposure to what she is doing and if you try and translate it on your own without getting the full picture. It's not really cookie cutter - yes, she expects the same outcome from every dog, but within the system things are tweaked for each dog. Maybe not wholesale change like some people use, but definitely different depending on the character of the dogs involved.

This is a super exciting time for agility in Australia - so many different people coming out that we've never seen before. It's going to be very interesting as more and more of us move away from what we've been doing for the last 10 or 15 years and adopt the more movement based handling systems. (I know some have been using them for a while, but all in all they are relatively new to agility in Aust.)

Exactly. I think Susan is AWESOME, but this time around I know I won't get the value out of it because I just don't have the time to commit. I think the thing is that this stuff is not just about getting a dog titled. That is easy.

This is for people who want to be at the pointy end of agility, whether it is here or abroad. It's for people chasing tenths of a second (but will help those chasing tens of seconds as well - I have dogs in both categories and it is working for both.)

I think the proof is in the pudding with this stuff. For Susan Garrett and Lynda Orton-Hill to still be matching it with the super fit, stick think 20 year olds in what is becoming and increasingly youth dominated sport at a world level speaks volumes for her ability as a trainer/motivator/technician. Not for everyone, but you can't deny the formula works.

I think the criticism that it is a cookie cutter approach is probably justified if you haven't had a heap of exposure to what she is doing and if you try and translate it on your own without getting the full picture. It's not really cookie cutter - yes, she expects the same outcome from every dog, but within the system things are tweaked for each dog. Maybe not wholesale change like some people use, but definitely different depending on the character of the dogs involved.

This is a super exciting time for agility in Australia - so many different people coming out that we've never seen before. It's going to be very interesting as more and more of us move away from what we've been doing for the last 10 or 15 years and adopt the more movement based handling systems. (I know some have been using them for a while, but all in all they are relatively new to agility in Aust.)

It is definitely a very exciting time for agility in Australia! So much change happening! I'll have to decide what to do in the near future with my younger dog.

Well said AD!

I found some great examples of how much agility has changed over the years.

This is how I remember agility with my very first dog - not quite this far back but the standard was similar:

The First Ever Agility Course at Crufts 1978

This is an example of what the sport looks like now in Australia at the high end:

Edited to add Susan Garrett in action - there's also a course map on that website - how things change!!!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

WOW - things certainly have changed. IMO it is the change in course design that is forcing so much innovation in our handling systems. We are still a little behind the rest of the world in this regard - our courses for the most part are still pretty straight forward. However, more and more we are seeing super complex challenges, followed by super fast section followed by another complex challenge (like a push to the back or threadle at the end of a row of jumps or after a puppy canon straight tunnel).

For the vast majority of us systems like Greg Derrett's that rely on handlers being in position are just not a reality. When you look at Susan and other top competitor's dogs in the US and Europe (I know Susan is from Canada, but....) they make most of ours look like they are in a trot - everything is done at speeds ours only use when they are chasing something they shouldn't be!

Whether its Susan or Silvia Trickman or someone else the goal posts have definitely moved.

Our first trial back for the year - the fundraiser - was certainly an eye opener in terms of course design! The game is changing very quickly! As people are looking more and more towards Europe for course design, so they will also start to look there for handling to be able to get around the courses :laugh: