Rspca $1000 Adoption Fee

lil_toe

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think it's great that for many breeds the price is similar to BYB ones, it gives me great ammunition when people say "Oh I'd never afford a dog from a registered breeder" and I can say well actually you'd be surprised, have convinced a few people to look more seriously at a well bred pup that way.

So a shelter sells one particularly cute pup for $1000. The $200 crossbreed is still out there . . . and there will always be purebred dogs out there at less than full prices for people willing and able to do a breeders' contract, or take a retired dog or a dog that didn't make the grade as a s service dog or competitive sports dog. Sure, if you want a trendy breed that doesn't free whelp, like a Frenchie or a Boston, you're going to have a hard time finding discounted prices. And if your environment is not what breeders like to see, you may not find someone willing to let you have one of their 'specials'.

The bottom line with dogs is that they are capable of very rapid reproduction (look how fast wolf populations rebound where they are reintroduced), and so long as people don't take to eating dog meat, there will be surplus production.

You can buy a purebred Mini Foxie (or Tenterfield Terrier) for much less than that. I know what I'd be having. At least you'd know where the purebred came from.

R$PCA is big business, not a charity any longer. They are being paid to endorse those places with chooks in barns.

Supply and demand - and people's motivation for buying a pound dog.

Some go to the RSPCA because they think it will be cheaper but many go because they are saving a dog and can afford to pay any price for it

Clearly the latter is what they are aiming for and my guess is they will sell at that price. They will find some suckers easily.

Hmmmm, I hope you don't ever fall in love with French Bulldogs if that's the case!

They're now creeping up to $3500+ plus through registered breeders - limited register either desexed or with contracts to be desexed.

There are some ridiculous prices being asked for non standard colours through non registered breeders as well. There's a couple of non-registered breeders who constantly have litters who are asking $10,000+ for blue's, merles and other colours. (From what I've seen health testing is done on 'some' of their breeding dogs).

Im on an Frenchie facebook page and the other day someone posted a link to Gumtree where someone had a three line add for their entire female Frenchie, asking $6500. She sold quite quickly :mad

Sorry to go off topic...

Sheesh! $1,000 for a pound puppy?

Go with Steve or Jed, and get a dog with a pedigree and a guarantee; you would be mad to pay $1,000 for a pound mutt.

Of course, having said that I'd like to point out that there are lots of reputable dog rescues who could fit you up with a dog that suits you for well under $450 and possibly quite a bit less. And I'd like to stress "a dog that suits you". Just as a reputable pure bred breeder will take pains to ensure that their pup suits you and your circumstances, a good rescue will do the same. Also, as a reputable pure bred dog breeder is by your side as your puppy develops, so are the better dog rescues. If it does not work out, it is not the end of the world.

ricey

Even if you don't look at a comparison between this and a pure bred or a breeder - the things our rescue members and many other small ethical rescue groups do and go through to place a dog or pup with a family and be there in case something goes wrong for years into the future is not comparable to what the RSPCA does to put dogs in new homes.That dog from that group can sell for a thousand bucks then the dogs our rescue members and others who are doing it right are worth double and in my opinion its time to revisit your pricing policies especially considering you dont get the kind of donations they are looking at.

Even if you don't look at a comparison between this and a pure bred or a breeder - the things our rescue members and many other small ethical rescue groups do and go through to place a dog or pup with a family and be there in case something goes wrong for years into the future is not comparable to what the RSPCA does to put dogs in new homes.That dog from that group can sell for a thousand bucks then the dogs our rescue members and others who are doing it right are worth double and in my opinion its time to revisit your pricing policies especially considering you dont get the kind of donations they are looking at.

May I just say some RSPCA branches do work hard to match their dogs to the right homes, do offer ongoing support with advice and training at no extra charge and do take their dogs back if at any time if necessary.

The pup is very cute and someone will pay that price for sure. It doesn't necessarily guarantee a good home but hopefully will help to avoid the impulse buyers and people just looking for a cheap dog. The ad doesn't do it any justice at all, it sounds like an awful little dog!

Its just a shame that not much of the profit they would be making of pups like these appears to be going into the care of the animals, increasing the amount of animals etc. The RSPCA appears to have very different standards across its shelters.

A pup displaying this kind of behaviour would be euthanased in some of their shelters.

May I just say some RSPCA branches do work hard to match their dogs to the right homes, do offer ongoing support with advice and training at no extra charge and do take their dogs back if at any time if necessary.

Still doesn't equal the services some small private rescue put in - its not possible for them to build the kind of relationships with those who are taking their dogs for years to come that some small private rescues are doing.

It's not just the RSPCA though, it's not uncommon for some all-breeds rescues to charge a-lot of money for a Great Dane when we charge no more than $350....ever...

So ..................Why do you only charge $350?

I can't speak for all branches but RSPCA Toowoomba just got kudos from me.

They took, from the pound, 2 tibbie girls that had been found straying together. Owner didn't claim them.

Up for adoption from RSPCA Toowoomba. Only young 1 yr +, they could be purebreds (to my eye), tho' the RSPCA honestly didn't claim that, not having seen papers.

I sent them an email saying they looked as if they could be ... & would spread word if anyone looking for a rescue tibetan spaniel.

RSPCA wanted to rehome them together.

Today they were rehomed & I got a very nice email advising of that. And offering to answer any further questions about the girls.

$199 was put on each, which would make it reasonable for adopting the pair. (That's country Qld with drought biting.)

They did very well by these 2 sweet, good-looking little dogs.

Edited by mita