Favourite Lenses For Pets

whippytails

Hi Everyone,

I am writing up my wish list for lenses. I have on order a Nikon D5200 so need to be compatible with the cropped sensor and would prefer they auto focused.

I am thinking that the 18-140 or Tamron 18-270 as a good allrounders

70-200 F2.8 (thinking this needs to be Sigma or Nikon as the Tamron review isnt so good on this one)For quick moving Igs and cricket pics for OH

50mm 1.8 for now and upgrade to f1.4 when funds permitted.

Would all that get me some decent pet, human pictures?

So what are your favourite pet lenses and why?

I used the Tamron 18-270 a LOT for photos of the rescue fosters over the last couple of years... best all-round lens for a great price IMHO.

I have a Canon 60D, so have no idea about Nikon lenses - but when I went for my longer zoom lens for zoo pics, I went for the Canon 100-400 L - pricey, but so worth the clarity and speed when compared to the Sigma and Tamron lenses in the same zoom ranges.

I went for the Tamron 90mm for macro stuff, but to date have only actually tried to use it twice, and have no idea how it actually works... not very successful with it as yet... errr!

I'm much more of a zoom photographer anyways... I can be far enough away from my subject that it doesn't necessarily notice me, and I can get cool action type shots...

T.

Leaning towards the 18-270 as the first addition after the boring kit lenses.

Thinking the 50mm ( possible the 35mm due to the camera choice) as a good lens for indoor pet photos, if the Igs ever sit still and then the 70-200 as a quick lens for shows as well as as above.

Is your 100-400 an F2.8?

I have a Nikon D40x at the moment. But I never ventured past the kit lenses. So know the basics but am also going to do a short tafe course.

With the 35mm it will be equal to the 50mm on a full frame. Need to go the G model for the D5200, have researched that part of it :)

Shall have a look at the 24-70 any idea on its price?

thank you both for your thoughts and info :)

I am hoping now that the human kids are getting bigger I will have some more "me time" to take photos so figured why not look at lenses that will work with a full frame camera when I am 100% confident and ready to move up so that I am not buying twice again.

My Nikon has served me well so would prefer to stay with it then swap.

The 24-70mm might need to wait until next years wish list ;)

Nikon lenses do seem to be very nice and perform well. With the 70-200 the Sigma comes in second but I havent looked at the 24-70 yet Although it will prob need to be the 17-55mm with the D5200 for the same outcome as the 24-70mm on a full frame :)

Leaning towards the 18-270 as the first addition after the boring kit lenses.

Thinking the 50mm ( possible the 35mm due to the camera choice) as a good lens for indoor pet photos, if the Igs ever sit still and then the 70-200 as a quick lens for shows as well as as above.

Is your 100-400 an F2.8?

I wish! Nope - it's 4.5-5.6... lol! But I get pretty nice photos with it nonetheless... *grin*

Thank dog some more Nikon experts have dropped by... I'm firmly in the Canon camp here... lol!

T.

The size, the weight. The price :laugh: The 24-70 I borrowed was incredibly soft.

But, I am used to the size, weight and lovely sharpness of primes. So keep that in mind.

The 50mm is my workhorse and is on my camera around 90% of the time. It's just so versatile. But I don't need the extra reach a lot of the time - I shoot mostly weddings and families. When I shoot at the refuge, I use the 50mm in the cattery and the 85mm for the dogs (outside).

They aren't the best, to be honest - but since I don't really shoot much action, it's not really a problem for me. The 50mm is the fastest, the 85mm and 105mm are much slower to focus on a moving subject. That said, it still works. I am often chasing kids around with the 50mm - with dogs it's harder! But generally dogs are on lead when I photograph them. There is no way to tell cats to sit and stay, so the 50mm works with them - but it is in a confined space so reach isn't an issue. I guess it just depends on your style - I am so used to being on the move because I shoot with the primes.

Now I'm trying to find some action to show you :laugh: The difference is though, my version of action is pretty sedate and contained - I know the primes struggle with dogs running towards them, so I tend to avoid it.

50mm

11725866863_597b937719_z.jpg

50mm

9722848754_4e52c5dd61_z.jpg

85mm

9618627233_17da4626f8_z.jpg

85mm

9598057546_bb34482d60_z.jpg

50mm

8672879683_cc4878503e_z.jpg

105mm

8672869751_c3da8806ab_z.jpg

105mm

8673972424_01c9ecd883_z.jpg

105mm

8673970040_daac7eed10_z.jpg

The 85mm is better than the 105mm, but worse than the 50mm (for action). To be honest, I'm really surprised at how well the 105mm did with the surfing photos.

The 85mm is a lovely portrait lens.

Edited by huga

For the dogs I use the 70-20 f/4 for action, I love it and use it a lot for our dog obedience classes, great compression at the 200mm end and a nice sharp lens through the whole range. (Mine is no IS and I haven't missed it at all)

The 85mm f/1.8 is a fantastic portrait lens as is the 50mm f/1.4 (mine is the Sigma EX version its awesome but a bit soft at 1.4) I love the primes for portraits, the bokeh and the DOF on both the 85mm and the 50mm is awesome, the 85mm is one of canons better Non L lenses. Sigma also do an 85mm f/1.4 that I have seen awesome images from.

I also have the 24-70 f/2.8 (sigma EX version) its amazing I use it If I am shooting big groups or dogs and humans.

I have other lenses as well but the ones mentioned above are my go to for dogs and cats especially.

I dont have many lenses. For whippet, (and now IG ) action, which is pretty fast I love the 70-200 2.8. I have often wished for the 100-400 for the whippet races but I've never used it.

I love my 50mm prime for closer shots and use that alot in my house, which is quite dark.

I've also used my 100mm macro when we used to have our whippet fun days there and found it pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...