Dog Treat Toys

Rebanne

I was nearly going to put this in the puppy forum but Fern is 7 and 1/2 years, so not quite a puppy anymore. Fern has had a few medical issues recently which means she now gets left behind when I take Warrior out. She is very food orientated and to date I've been chucking half a cup of dry food out in the back yard to keep her happy.

But I think a treat toy would be better, particularly when she has to be inside. Fern is a greyhound and I've looked at the bob a lot and the kong wobbler. I would only be putting a max of one cup of dry food in it and I don't think she really needs the large size. I'd get large if she was a GSD but not for a greyhound. Something with an adjustable hole would be good for the different size dry food I get.

So what's your dog's favourite treat toy? :D

soft drink bottle :o

don't think Fern would persist, I'd have to cut a bigger hole into it :laugh: Can't be too hard, she needs an instant reward as soon as we walk out the door.

I used to do this with Luka, when he was a puppy. I would just drill some kibble sized holes in the plastic bottle so they came out as he rolled it around. :thumbsup:

Try cutting multiple holes in the sides of the bottle to make it easier for the kibble to fall out, as she gets used to playing with it then reduce the number of holes and/or the size of the holes. Eventually you won't have to add holes as she will have grasped the concept and be able to flip the bottle for the kibble to come out the neck of the bottle.

Kong Wobbler and Bob a lot are both great as well, a plastic drink or milk bottle is cheaper.

I've got plenty of drink bottles, I was worried she might cut her mouth on them. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

smaller ones like Coke buddies are excellent , and the wider mouthed 600-700 ml energy drink ones; these can have fruit chunks /and hard boiled egg halves in as well ;) - I don't like the bigger ,more cylindrical ones , for your reason

I've got plenty of drink bottles, I was worried she might cut her mouth on them. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

smaller ones like Coke buddies are excellent , and the wider mouthed 600-700 ml energy drink ones; these can have fruit chunks /and hard boiled egg halves in as well ;) - I don't like the bigger ,more cylindrical ones , for your reason

I have 600ml water bottles, I only want to distract Fern while we are leaving and for a few minutes afterwards. She played with plenty of bottles as a youngster.

I have found that Lucy ends up chewing the bottle almost flat and trapping the food in the bottle when I give her kibble in a bottle and they chewing can definitely make it sharp

She has a Kong wobbler is loves it! Though she isn't too food orientated so I put both treats and kibble in there. It did take her a week or so to understand that she has to use her paw to knock it over for the food to come out and I did have to show her a few times.

I have the small Bob-a-lot for my husky puppy, I think they are brilliant. Having two apertures allows you to moderate how fast you want the kibble or treats to come out. Mine get absolutely hammered around the house and it shows no sign of breaking down. Thoroughly recommended.