After Pts Behaviour/trainer Help Please?

Rainy

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a good one called "we love them" by Martin Waddell, about a dog and a rabbit and how we loved them and they loved each other and then one died and we were sad and bunny was sad and then a new puppy was found in the field and we loved the new puppy and the new puppy loved rabbit - a good tale about life going on and missing our pets and moving on from our grief

Edited by CHA

Thanks every one, brain isn't quite functioning properly after having the ' you need to be ready talk' with the kids :(

Akayla, that's the one !! thanks muchly

http://www.amazon.com/Ill-Always-Love-Hans-Wilhelm/dp/0517572656/ref=pd_sim_b_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=02H5TWRFDSZV0BB2W9ZJ

and that led me to the other one i was looking for

http://www.amazon.com/When-Pet-Dies-Fred-Rogers/dp/0698116666/ref=pd_sim_b_17?ie=UTF8&refRID=02H5TWRFDSZV0BB2W9ZJ

Steph M, thanks for that link ill let the kids look at that if they want to read more.

Thanks again

Having dealt with the death of a pet and having a child, I think your are better off preparing them stating the obvious that when an animal or person is very sick, sometimes their heart stops and they die.

The first time we explained this Poodie thought that their heart broke and they couldn't love anymore.

We kept it very simple, your heart stops and you don't breathe and that's when you die.

Books are OK but they rely on the kids being able to either read it for themselves or comprehend what you are reading.

I reckon deal with the "death" part and what death is first, don't make it out to be anything other than something that physically happens to all people and animals. The emotions that come with loss and grief are where the books about feeling sad and loss are helpful.

Our children were 4 and 6 when our dog had to be put to sleep.

The books we used were "Beginnings, Endings and Lifetimes In Between" and "Badger's parting gifts" (which is on youtube). Both kids still ask to read the books again from time to time.

My thoughts are with you. We would hold a funeral and have flowers for the pet and tell stories of them. I agree, we would also let the children know matter of factly that their hearts gave out and their bodies were too sick and tired to go on. We would talk about the great times they had here with us and what a great life the pet had with us. It is never easy. Currently I am talking to my 20 year old "children" about what may happen soon with our old boy, just to prepare everyone... Pets teach great compassion.

Very hard :( We've lost a few over the years but we always bury them with a plant on top and I explain to the kids that s/he has died and can't be with us any more but that his/her body will go in to the ground to help our garden grow more beautiful and when we look out at the flowers we'll know they are still helping. Our most recent loss was our very loved cat alley and she has a lime tree planted on her, that tree is so lovely and lush and grows amazing limes and we still thank Alley for sending us the limes. :)