Testicles -

Alyosha

Has anyone here experienced a pup having apparently normal testicles all it's baby life - up until 3 months, palpated regularly by breeder and on every vet check - and then one not found at 4 months? I'm feeling dubious...

Edited by Alyosha

There was a thread here once, can't recall how long ago, where someone had a pup sent interstate or overseas by a breeder & said breeder stated testicles were down & when puppy arrived they had disappeared. About the same age too.

Almost everyones advice here was to return the pup but the person didn't & a few weeks later they dropped down again & everything was perfectly normal.

Was all very strange.

I don't know how to search for the topic but someone will if you ask in off topic.

I read that thread. This is one of my pups, definitely had two testicles until he left home at three months. Now I get news that one can't be found...

So slightly different situation. Was just wondering if anyone had actually experienced that as I am doubtful about the story at the moment...

I read that thread. This is one of my pups, definitely had two testicles until he left home at three months. Now I get news that one can't be found...

So slightly different situation. Was just wondering if anyone had actually experienced that as I am doubtful about the story at the moment...

did they check him very soon after they got him? How long has one been missing?

I had it with a Border Collie. Obviously there at the time of arrival, the dog sucked them up and they basically never came back down. It can and does happen and even if they did come back it's not a dog to keep and breed from.

Imported a 5 month old male pup into Canada, and I distinctly remember him having both testicles when I checked, at the airport. It was one of the first things I checked, since he was supposed to be shown and bred from. A month later (at 6 months old), at just a regular check-up with the vets, one had disappeared. Never did come back down, even with all of the exercises the vet recommended, and we finally de-sexed him this year (he will be 6 years old this year). Never bred from him, and didn't freeze any semen.

His, amazing, breeder was understandably upset, but I wasn't angry. He definitely had both when he arrived, so, he just became a very expensive pet, lol.

Edited by madredeperros

Thanks for replies. The pup is to be desexed down the track anyway. But obviously if one has gone back in the vet will want to do it sooner rather than later - and later is better in such a large breed.

Rebanne he left here at 3 months with 2, and apparently was missing one at a vet check just before 4 months. So sometime in those three weeks it has gone? I only have the owner's word for that though. Will have to play wait and see I suppose. He's interstate which is frustrating, but I might have a trip in that direction next month. If I can have a look and feel myself I'll feel much happier.

I have had it. Sold a pup as a pet with both firmly in the sack at 8 weeks. The litter brother I kept did not drop one.

I got the pup back at 12 months and both disappeared. Sadly that pup did not end up in a good home and subsequent homes. Was badly duped by buyer (long story) Don't know if purely genetic or part genetic with an environmental contribution.

Eta: the pup I kept, I sold at 4 months as I have the belief, not down by 16 weeks don't breed it and had him desexed prior to leaving, the vet was able to palate that naughty testicle down and do a "normal" desexing. Did not have to go looking for it.

Edited by Mystiqview

If the owner is really concerned about issues with the retained testicle, it's possible to have just that one removed and then go back and take the normal one at a later date.

In any case, most of the worrisome changes that can occur in an undescended teste take a very long time (years) to happen. Waiting until long bone growth has ceased will be the best for the dog in the long term.

I have known owners with a dog that had one normal and one retained testicle to only have the retained one removed because they wanted a dog that wasnt castrated. The surgery to take the undescended one was done around 7 months of age when it was determined via ultrasound that the testicle was intra abdominal and was not going to descend. He stayed a "onesie" all his days, lived a long and very healthy life, and they did not ever regret their decision to allow him to keep his "normal nut" as they called it.

There are options other than a total castration and perhaps the owners might like to raise these with their vet. If they need peace of mind that the retained teste wont do bad things to their dog, it can be removed on its own while the dog is still young but the other one left to allow the dog to complete his growth in a normal fashion. The need for full castration can then be decided at the owner's leisure.

If the owner is really concerned about issues with the retained testicle, it's possible to have just that one removed and then go back and take the normal one at a later date.

In any case, most of the worrisome changes that can occur in an undescended teste take a very long time (years) to happen. Waiting until long bone growth has ceased will be the best for the dog in the long term.

I have known owners with a dog that had one normal and one retained testicle to only have the retained one removed because they wanted a dog that wasnt castrated. The surgery to take the undescended one was done around 7 months of age when it was determined via ultrasound that the testicle was intra abdominal and was not going to descend. He stayed a "onesie" all his days, lived a long and very healthy life, and they did not ever regret their decision to allow him to keep his "normal nut" as they called it.

There are options other than a total castration and perhaps the owners might like to raise these with their vet. If they need peace of mind that the retained teste wont do bad things to their dog, it can be removed on its own while the dog is still young but the other one left to allow the dog to complete his growth in a normal fashion. The need for full castration can then be decided at the owner's leisure.

It seems that there is pressure from the vet that desexing needs to be done asap, so thanks for advice guys. I would think if it has been down until recently there would be even less chance of anything going wrong with it.

I have still said to them that desexing should be left until 12 months at a minimum. As I don't know the vet involved I don't know if it is simply a matter of the big desexing push that some vets do anyway.

It costs the same as a female desexing (possibly more if they have to go searching for it) and depending on the vet on how exorbitant their charges.

Cannot see what is wrong with the general 6-9 month where most pet people desex. I also advise my puppy buyers to desex about 12-14 months providing they are not having issues with the dog's maleness. I also believe that the dogs needs its bits to mature properly before getting the chop.

Some pet owners just want to get it done with early, and yes some vets love to push it at the 5-6 month mark.

Why would you go in twice to desex? I cannot understand that for two lots of surgery and anaesthetic, not to mention double the cost. It's unnecessary. The only one winning there is the vet.

are the new owners wanting you to pay any extra costs Alyosha?

Maybe I'm being cynical but that was my thought - not that it was gone, but that they may be seeking extra funds towards desexing down the track.... But it's a unique sort of a situation. I'll play it by ear.