More On Zeus The Questionable Breed Dog

Boronia

I can't find the thread bout Zeus that was posted a couple of weeks back.

Here is an update from the Brisbane Times

http://www.brisbanet...bnr=MTAxMzU1ODU

Brisbane dog at centre of national facebook storm

March 11, 2014 - 12:01AM

Kim Stephens

Journalist

dog-620x349.jpg

Zeus, the dog at the centre of a social media storm Photo: Supplied

A seven month fight by a Brisbane family to save their pet from doggie death row has suddenly whipped up a social media frenzy.

Nearly 1500 people have joined the Facebook site Free Zeus since Friday, calling for the release of Zeus, a dog whose breed is at the centre of contention between his owners and Brisbane City Council.

Rangers seized the animal in Sunnybank in late August last year, when it escaped its owners' yard.

A destruction order was issued a week later when council declared him to be part American Pitbull, a restricted breed in Brisbane.

Advertisement His family had adopted him just seven months earlier, believing him to be a labrador/Staffordshire terrier cross.

The same dog had been caught and released to its owner by council officers in February that year, after being registered.

Melanie Isaacs, founding member of the Sydney-based advocacy group Team Dog, launched the social media campaign, after hearing of the family's fight and the financial dilemma that might have prevented them getting Zeus back.

In addition to fighting the destruction order through numerous court hearings and appeals, the family also has to pay an impoundment bill of nearly $30 per day, which now totals more than $4500.

Within hours of launching the site on Friday, Ms Isaacs said donations to help the family had totalled more than $2000.

Council had told Zeus's owners they would release their pet on Friday morning, if they satisfied a range of requirements, which Ms Isaacs said they did, and paid the impoundment costs.

However, Ms Isaacs said officers inexplicably changed their minds on Friday afternoon, deciding to keep Zeus in until the next scheduled court hearing in April.

A council spokesperson said no attempt has been made to pay the fees for Zeus.

"A query was made regarding the process for releasing the dog. Council will release Zeus upon payment of fees and completion of relevant documentation," the spokesperson said.

Ms Isaacs said determining a dog's breed could be problematic.

"The issue is whether he is a restricted breed or not, this is the biggest flaw with breed specific legislation, identification simply can't be done," she said.

"Animal professionals all disagree with each other about it. One can be adopted one day as staffy labrador cross, then declared a pitbull the next."

Ms Isaacs said the level of support garnered for Zeus's cause so quickly indicated widespread community opposition to banning certain breeds of dogs.

"We at Team Dog believe in science-based animal management and there is no scientific evidence that banning these breeds reduces dog attacks," she said.

A council spokeswoman said council could not comment on the case while it was before the courts.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

there is no scientific evidence that banning these breeds reduces dog attacks,"

My opinion in these cases is they need to get off this reasoning as it's besides the point when a particular breed is already legislated against.......they need to work at proving the dog is not of a restricted breed, not the essence of BSL which is irrelevant to the case.

Was he sold to them BEFORE the stupid BSL laws came into effect, and now Victorian councils are seeing pitbulls everywhere?

T.

I believe PBs were restricted in BCC at the time he was sold as a lab cross staffy.. They have been for quite a while.

God help anything with a red nose..

On other news in Vic - I believe Mylo had a VCAT directions hearing today to see if they can have another hearing.. This poor boy has been held for 22 months now..

So sad that they can keep these poor dogs locked up for so long.

Poor pup. I work in Brisbane cbd, yesterday we found a dog that looked very similar to this one wandering around the city, listed with the council as a labx.

I was so relieved when we the boys got in contact with his owner and he didn't get picked up by the council

Edited by Taliecat

Their dog was sold to them as a lab cross staffy - by the very council now holding him and saying he is a restricted breed..

The whole thing is totally ludicrous (not to mention a total waste of ratepayers money).

Brisbane City Council say he wasn't bought from the council pound.

Their dog was sold to them as a lab cross staffy - by the very council now holding him and saying he is a restricted breed..

The whole thing is totally ludicrous (not to mention a total waste of ratepayers money).

Brisbane City Council say he wasn't bought from the council pound.

I read that earlier but the original owner said they bought it from the council - I will see if I can find the post about it and add a link..

I know. I don't know what to believe. =\

I believe they have held an innocent dog, that isn't a danger to the community, for so long now..

I believe BSL is a load of crap and we shouldn't judge a whole breed or type of dog, based on a few dogs bad behaviour (because they usually don't know any better and have ignorant owners)..

I believe the council should release the dog.. For no other reason than he isn't a danger to the community..

True. But the dog should not have been wandering the streets.

But the thing is, if it were a lab or a Maltese or a shepherd, boxer, poodle or any other dog the outcome would have been a fine, slap on the wrist and sent home.

That's what irks me.

Wandering dogs shouldnt be handed a death sentence at the hands of a bloomin council IMO, fine the owners to try and mitigate the dogs security sure, but to kill a dog for that or even its x breed genetics no way.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Some Indian dude called Gandhi said that in 1930 whatever..

No dogs (or cats for that matter) should be wandering the streets but plenty do and don't get a death sentence for it.. Just because of the way he looks..

BSL sucks.

Death isn't an appropriate punishment for a dog escaping the yard.

I never said that it was.

Edited by Cody

I never said that it was.

At no time should "But the dog should not have been wandering the streets" come as a reply to posts like this:

I believe they have held an innocent dog, that isn't a danger to the community, for so long now..

I believe BSL is a load of crap and we shouldn't judge a whole breed or type of dog, based on a few dogs bad behaviour (because they usually don't know any better and have ignorant owners)..

I believe the council should release the dog.. For no other reason than he isn't a danger to the community..

Because then it's like you're justifying the Council somehow, even though I'm sure you're not. But that's how rebuttals read.