Holistic Select And Blackhawk

Hi all

I currently have a 4yr old husky who we feed Blackhawk in the morning and raw evening and a 9mth sammy pup whom we feed holistic select in the morning and raw in the evening. I am getting to the end of his 13.5kg bag and wanting to switch him to the Blackhawk. One its more convinient having one food and hopefully one bag and two its cheaper.

Is the Blackhawk as good as the holistic?

Can the adult husky eat the puppy version? if not why not?

I buy in bulk and two large bags is a pain and the smaller ones are not as cost effective anyway.

thanks

I have never tried Holistic Select but have been feeding Black Hawk for four years now & will continue to do so. I have two BC's. The young guy, on advice from others, including breeders, I raised on Black Hawk ADULT since I got him at 10 weeks...I never bothered with puppy food. For under 6 month puppies, you feed them double the adult rate, if feeding the adult food, then gradually reduce it till he is just on the normal adult rate. I am certainly glad I didn't feed him puppy food, as he grew into a tall boy. The only other food that I have tried during the last four years was a bag of TOTW Coastal Catch & my girl lost weight on it even though I was feeding her more. They get their kibble at night & turkey neck in the morning.

There's a small gap in ages between my two. We stopped feeding puppy branded kibble at around 5 months with our youngest and switched to canedae then black hawk fish and potato.

Apart from our two eating like horses, they do well on the black hawk and our pup is continuing to grow at a good pace, without the massive spurts that we saw on the puppy specific food.

I don't know about either brand but I can say your Sammy would be fine going on to adult food now, in fact my puppies only get adult from the time they're 8 weeks, doesn't do them any harm and grows them slower :)

You are never, in a million years, going to get agreement between dog owners as to which food is best. Too many variables, starting with the dogs and their activities.

So what you need to do is tackle the issue from an ingredient and analysis perspective. Compare the ingredients and form an opinion. Then look at the food analysis.

Your average adult Blackhawk food is 22% protein and 12% fat. That is going to suit some breeds and some dog lifestyles better than others.

I wouldn't feed it to a growing sighthound whose energy and protein requirements require more than this in my opinion. For other pets, it might be fine.

Try the younger dog on it and see how you go. If you notice condition or coat improvements or declines then you'll have your answer.

However I do believe that in many cases, opting for cheaper foods is false economy, if the dog is not getting the nutrition it needs.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

thanks, i think from what i have read both foods are similar comparison wise but one is shipped from the States, hence the costs, the other is Australian made.

I did email them and they said both dgs can eat the adult.

thanks, just checked the large and giant breed puppy holistic select and thats the same, 23% crude protein and 12% fat, he has been on this since we have had him.

You are never, in a million years, going to get agreement between dog owners as to which food is best. Too many variables, starting with the dogs and their activities.

So what you need to do is tackle the issue from an ingredient and analysis perspective. Compare the ingredients and form an opinion. Then look at the food analysis.

Your average adult Blackhawk food is 22% protein and 12% fat. That is going to suit some breeds and some dog lifestyles better than others.

I wouldn't feed it to a growing sighthound whose energy and protein requirements require more than this in my opinion. For other pets, it might be fine.

Try the younger dog on it and see how you go. If you notice condition or coat improvements or declines then you'll have your answer.

However I do believe that in many cases, opting for cheaper foods is false economy, if the dog is not getting the nutrition it needs.

Fwiw I switched my 2 from Holistic Select to Black Hawk lamb & rice late last year because the BH was cheaper & easier to get, and didn't notice any change in their coat, poop or energy. They are pretty robust dogs though :)

Will be interesting to see how Black Hawk goes/ changes in the coming months - the person behind it and the company making it have parted company apparently.

Bloody Hell, I am nearly due for a new bag. better only buy a small bag next time

Blackhawk certainly didn't suit either of my dogs. Their over all condition just went down hill & their coats lacked the very healthy lustre they once had. Very dry & brittle. Sonny got all this terrible flakey, drandruff like skin condition as well. I wouldn't go near it again for me but again it is whatever your dog does the best on. Holistic Select has worked well here though.