A Good Breed For Someone With Anxiety?

kiwifeathers

Other than the fact your friend suffers from anxiety KF, what's her personality like.

If she's not a "take charge" kind of gal who's prepared to give a dog very defined boundaries and enforce them, then I don't think any working or protective breed is for her.

All dogs need boundaries but the consequences for some breeds who don't get them can be a lot more serious than with others.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rottie's seem to be a favorite potential option here, I believe an aunt of hers had them, so she's rather fond of them. Definitely high on the possibles list. I don't think she dislikes labs, but mine growing up shed something awful, im not sure if she'd like that much shedding? She also likes the look of dobermans, but is worried about all the potential health issues. A Saint is also not a bad choice, if her squeaking over a pup at a show once was anything to go by! :laugh: Like me, she does have a bit of a flair for more exotic/rare. Any more unusual breeds you guys think may suit?

I still suggest the Groenendael. Esp a male, who grows a lion-like mane as he matures.

I wasn't bragging about my Belgian Shepherd, I rarely post here anymore BUT reading the OP, it sounded a lot like myself and Ivy has been a life line for me.

I have over five years experience with an extremely well bred Groenendael.

I would never do any shows BUT if I were to, a Labrador/Rotty/Dobe would be the worst breed as there are so many IMO, that the competition would be such a put down for my already fragile confidence.

Wishing all the best for your friend kiwifeathers :)

Other than the fact your friend suffers from anxiety KF, what's her personality like.

If she's not a "take charge" kind of gal who's prepared to give a dog very defined boundaries and enforce them, then I don't think any working or protective breed is for her.

All dogs need boundaries but the consequences for some breeds who don't get them can be a lot more serious than with others.

She's a kind person, very good with animals, but understands the need to balance affection with boundaries. She's from a farming background on one side of the family and spent a large amount of time there growing up, if that makes any difference, and I think would be fairly "take charge" with a dog, but I'm not sure if she'd be up to something really really sharp. Its hard to say as she hasn't had a dog on her own before. I don't think she'd want the stress of a dog she has to be on her toes with all the time.

I think any big black dog would fit .

It never ceases to amaze me how people recommend their breed time and time again without reading the OP, I rarely recommend mine, I mean really, a Cav, Aussie and BC look like they will put people off, I don't think so .

My dally is a good guard ,but I didn't say dally because people love them and run upto pat them everytime,( then back off when they see the BT lolling up behind) :laugh:

A single female wants a dog to feel safe with lets remember before we go spouting off about how wonderful our dogs are. :o

I agree Juice but I think what happens is, people see one part of the requirements and think, "My dog does that/ is good for that" and post about their own dog breed without really thinking about the whole scenario. From the barking perspective my Aussie totally fits the bill, very loud, but I would not recommend an Aussie in this situation at all. Not sure the OP actually stated the dog had to 'look' scary though. I got the impression they wanted a dog that would sound scary and put people off approaching the house at night.

Just a possible explanation of why people recommend their own breeds :)

The behavior of a socially awkward person is VERY different when they are home in their own safe surroundings.

I own a working breed and Ivy is perfect. I'm a different person when I'm safe at home. Take me out, and I shut down but take me out with Ivy and I'm dandy.

So your comment isn't true and you shouldn't judge someone with anxiety as someone who can not successfully own and maintain a working breed.

But that is my last word. As I said, all the best with her finding her companion :)

Edited by english.ivy

The behavior of a socially awkward person is VERY different when they are home in their own safe surroundings.

^This too. She's very relaxed at home and generally fine on familiar walks. Most of the situations that really stress her out are not situations where the dogs are allowed anyway.

Edited by kiwifeathers

I own a working breed and Ivy is perfect. I'm a different person when I'm safe at home. Take me out, and I shut down but take me out with Ivy and I'm dandy.

So your comment isn't true and you shouldn't judge someone with anxiety as someone who can not successfully own and maintain a working breed.

But that is my last word. As I said, all the best with her finding her companion :)

Oh FFS, I wasn't judging anyone!! Why must you find offence when none was intended. This is NOT about you.

I would certainly never presume to generalise one person's experience of anxiety as the same as everyone's which is WHY I asked about KF's friend's personality in more general terms. I consider people are more than their mental health issues - how judgmental is that?

Try to not to personalise everything and open your mind to the suggestion that your experience with your dog is not indicative of everyone's experience with the breed. I know some Belgian Shepherds that are anxious and wary individuals - how good would tht be with an anxious owner.

Can I suggest rather than personalising this you consider that your experience of anxiety might not be the same as KF's friend and consider that I might actually asked questions to establish facts, not to judge.

Not all anxiety sufferers are socially awkward anyway - that much I do know.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

-Doesn't *have* to go for walks the length stated, that was just the maximum she is likely to do.

30 minutes twice per day is not enough for a young Belgian Shepherd. It may be alright for a mature dog over the age of 5 or 6, but certainly not enough for the ages of 12 months to 3 or 4 years. Most people get into trouble with their dogs around the 15 months age when the dogs are beginning to look for some real work & an outlet for their creativity! My girl was a chewer up until 4 years of age, her prizes included a director's chair & some Roman blinds - she had a penchant for wood! She still gets a decent amount of exercise at 9 years of age. 10km most days, with a good hike of up to 17km on the weekend.

Maybe a mature Belgian would suit? Amanda of Vanrusselhof has a lovely mature Malinois for sale & she is looking for someone interested in showing

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/belgian-shepherd-dog.asp?state=

-Doesn't *have* to go for walks the length stated, that was just the maximum she is likely to do.

30 minutes twice per day is not enough for a young Belgian Shepherd. It may be alright for a mature dog over the age of 5 or 6, but certainly not enough for the ages of 12 months to 3 or 4 years. Most people get into trouble with their dogs around the 15 months age when the dogs are beginning to look for some real work & an outlet for their creativity! My girl was a chewer up until 4 years of age, her prizes included a director's chair & some Roman blinds - she had a penchant for wood! She still gets a decent amount of exercise at 9 years of age. 10km most days, with a good hike of up to 17km on the weekend.

Maybe a mature Belgian would suit? Amanda of Vanrusselhof has a lovely mature Malinois for sale & she is looking for someone interested in showing

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/belgian-shepherd-dog.asp?state=

I did say in the OP it was 30min-around an hour max (not having a go btw, it was easy to miss! :o ) Shorter walks would be more likely in bad or very hot weather.

I think she really wants a puppy to raise herself, but I'll pass the suggestion of an older dog along.

I am just putting this out there as something to consider...

If she gets a very distinctive looking dog it may actually attract more attention than she is really comfortable with. Especially when not all the attention is positive.

I know that I can find the attention a bit wearing at times with two very big dogs.

A breed like a Labrador may be good as the public in general has quite a positive opinion of them, but they're also not going to be a spectacle when she's walking up the street with one and attract tonnes of attention.

If she gets a very distinctive looking dog it may actually attract more attention than she is really comfortable with. Especially when not all the attention is positive.

I know that I can find the attention a bit wearing at times with two very big dogs.

A breed like a Labrador may be good as the public in general has quite a positive opinion of them, but they're also not going to be a spectacle when she's walking up the street with one and attract tonnes of attention.

This is true, but I'm pretty sure she is aware of this and is ok with positive attention at least. When I had her look after my two for a night she was fine with people coming up to ask about them (I get it almost every day because the Border Terrier is cute, and the Italian Greyhound is unique), because the attention was on the dogs, not herself. She's happy to talk about dogs all day because she knows she knows what she's talking about, if that makes sense lol, a true dog nerd like myself! Besides that, if it all gets too much she is good at politely removing herself from the situation from what I have seen.

It's hard to speak for her exactly so I'm probably not giving the most accurate picture haha. :o

This is true, but I'm pretty sure she is aware of this and is ok with positive attention at least. When I had her look after my two for a night she was fine with people coming up to ask about them (I get it almost every day because the Border Terrier is cute, and the Italian Greyhound is unique), because the attention was on the dogs, not herself. She's happy to talk about dogs all day because she knows she knows what she's talking about, if that makes sense lol, a true dog nerd like myself! Besides that, if it all gets too much she is good at politely removing herself from the situation from what I have seen.

It's hard to speak for her exactly so I'm probably not giving the most accurate picture haha. :o

No its fine :) I just thought I'd put it out there as something to consider :)

Can I suggest that if a pei coat makes her itch she goes and has a really good cuddle with the breeds she is interested in. I'm much the same and can't handle labs or jack russells(make me red and itchy and sniffly) and cockers and goldens seem to make me sneeze however I've never had an issue with kelpies or bassets, from recollection the rotties I have met haven't been an issue for me in that regard. I agree that I couldn't live with the level of shedding with labs and i think that may be part of what brings on my allergies.

I think any big black dog would fit .

It never ceases to amaze me how people recommend their breed time and time again without reading the OP, I rarely recommend mine, I mean really, a Cav, Aussie and BC look like they will put people off, I don't think so .

My dally is a good guard ,but I didn't say dally because people love them and run upto pat them everytime,( then back off when they see the BT lolling up behind) :laugh:

A single female wants a dog to feel safe with lets remember before we go spouting off about how wonderful our dogs are. :o

I very rarely recommend Border Collies but in this case I already know of several who fulfill this exact role with people with anxiety and depression and know they are suitable. You have obviously never tried to enter the property of a stranger who owns a BC. Most of mine could really put on the guard dog act and have callers at the door backing down the steps. The neighbours will not come into the house unless the they are put out the back as they have seen how they react at the door and are not confident to come in, even if I know that the dogs are fine once I invite someone in. They read people well and will react accordingly if they detect any threat from someone, even if they are normally friendly with strangers. When camping at shows mine would give a deep throaty growl if anyone came near the tent at night. I have seen Aussies react the same way as they are very territorial and a black tri Aussie could suit but the merles do attract unwanted attention. German Shepherds would also be a suitable choice if she really wants something bigger but getting a GSD to show could be very expensive and of course you need to be an athlete to show a GSD and they shed so much more than most breeds. You need to run pretty well to show Borders and Aussies too but not for as long as you do with GSDs. Borders are widely available in NZ so there would be plenty of choice. It is all well and good recommending rare breeds but someone in this position probably doesn't want to wait two years to get a puppy.