What Do You Use To Cushion Elbows

Even though he has a perfectly good bed and access to the house, Casper loves sleeping on the brick paving outside at night. During the day he's either on the same bricks, or inside on the hard vinyl floor even though there is a carpeted area. He has developed some mean looking growths (bursas?) on his elbows which he has recently started licking. I was thinking of cushioning his elbows with some kind of pad or protection. I found this on the internet but was hoping to find something without the over-body strap.

Do any of you have any ideas or anything you've used and recommend?

Thanks.

My Cooper has had Hygromas since he was 10 weeks old. He had them drained multiple times and finally had surgery on each to insert drains which were left in for 3 weeks :( It was awful. Anywhoo I bought Dogleggs (to protect but also to keep the dressing/bandages on.

http://www.dogleggs.com/adjustable/

Here he is with them on (the top is because the bandages would slip off.

post-36665-0-60252700-1395817226_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your replies!

kc, I'm assuming that without the strap, the pads won't stay on as they're not meant to...if that makes sense. I'm guessing there are no straps or any other way for them to stay on. The childrens' socks won't offer any cushioning so perhaps I would wrap his elbows in vet wrap instead. I don't know if that would limit his mobility though.

bianca, poor Cooper looks sorry for himself in the second pic, he's gorgeous! I was looking at the dogleggs but I don't like that there's a strap over the shoulders AND across the chest. At least the "canine angels" one that I linked to in my OP only has the shoulder strap.

I'm sure I found some without the shoulder strap on the internet when I wasn't looking for them, now I can't find them again. Might have to get the "canine angels" ones and see how he goes.

thanks again.

Whatever you use will need to be either cheap and disposable or really hard wearing as it will be rubbing on hard surfaces all day.

Have you thought about modifying neoprene drink coolers - pair of scissors and a couple of nappy pins should give you a nice hard wearing joint protector which has plenty of flexibility. If they work well perhaps you could swap the nappy pins for some attached velcro.laugh.gif

These are the sort I mean:

post-21294-0-86556100-1395912419_thumb.jpg

You would have to get him used to wearing them gradually. Just a thought...

RP, I like your "thinking outside the box". I do have some of those drink coolers somewhere, I might have to give this a try. Don't laugh, but I was thinking of using panty liners wrapped in vet wrap :o , I think Casper might prefer your idea, after all, he is a boy!

thanks for the idea :)

OK..been thinking .

two pr kids' sox (smallish)

toes cut off .

Place one sock in another ..so you have two thicker pair . slip in between a thin piece of flexible foam at the heel pouch of teh sock ..and stich it top& bottom .

slide on legs with the heel of sock providing a space for a bending elbow .. anything firm may limit movement and restrict circulation ?

apply vetwrap or whatever to top & bottom to hold.

I agree re the vet wrap. When Coop had his elbow surgeries the vet wrap would slip off at least a couple times a day (even with tape used). It was a total nightmare. We even tried wrapping over and under and right down over the front feet. Elbows are so hard to keep covered.

Not wanting to take over your post but some of the various wrappings we tried.

post-36665-0-42221400-1395992251_thumb.jpg

post-36665-0-49293600-1395992275_thumb.jpg

post-36665-0-21785900-1395992301_thumb.jpg

post-36665-0-12917200-1395992323_thumb.jpg

Edited by bianca.a

Nice one pers. I have some sticky tape from the vet I can use to tape the "sock" onto his leg. It doesn't take too much fur off when removed. As Rebanne says vet wrap can roll onto itself and I'd hate for his circulation to be cut off, I didn't think of that before!

I'm not keen on the strap across his back as I'm worried it will annoy him. If nothing else works though, I might have to try the ones with the strap.

Nice one pers. I have some sticky tape from the vet I can use to tape the "sock" onto his leg. It doesn't take too much fur off when removed. As Rebanne says vet wrap can roll onto itself and I'd hate for his circulation to be cut off, I didn't think of that before!

I'm not keen on the strap across his back as I'm worried it will annoy him. If nothing else works though, I might have to try the ones with the strap.

get a long piece of wide elastic and stitch to the elbow covers. Will have more give. But it should be like a collar, they soon get used to it.

eta get him a harness and get him used to wearing it. My greyhounds have no problem with suddenly wearing a harness. Then you may be able to attach the elbow support to that.

Edited by Rebanne

oh.. I have a photo somewhere of my old KIERAN wearing a sock on one foot/leg . It had a button on , which attached to a wide elastic "/harness" :) mind you, that was easier to keep on and secure as it was a whole sock, and his foot was in the toe ..he could run & all :)..and it on for a couple of weeks ..

HERE- found it!

Edited by persephone

oh.. I have a photo somewhere of my old KIERAN wearing a sock on one foot/leg . It had a button on , which attached to a wide elastic "/harness" :) mind you, that was easier to keep on and secure as it was a whole sock, and his foot was in the toe ..he could run & all :)..and it on for a couple of weeks ..

HERE- found it!

I love his bucket!

HERE- found it!

I love his bucket!

the bucket was wonderful ..a perfect size! We padded the cut end thickly ..and just used to slip in over his head (tight fit ) it never moved , or caused probs. The tinsel was for Christmas ;)