Lure Coursing - Photos Added

I dont know what my keeper rate is, not very good. I'd guess only about 10% are reasonably good but I often post the crappy shots as well, I have no pride :laugh: I just think some people will love to see the photo of THEIR dog no matter if it's not a technically brilliant photo.

Edited by Kirislin

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in NSW for a show and trial 1 time and there was lure coursing on at Erskine Park down in 1 of the bottom paddocks. I took Piper along for a try. I have no idea if it still happens or is a regular thing as it would have to be close to 10 years ago now that we tried it. It was fun, but the 1 thing she didn't succeed at :)

Edited by piper

I Googled and didn't find much either piper... looks like the novelty wore off maybe?

Farmer Dave's complex in Rouse Hill apparently has some fun dog sports going on, but I find his site rather hard to navigate to find any real details about the events.

T.

• 1 month later...

there is a lure racing day on Sunday up here in Qld that I am thinking about going to... I had never really heard of it before so I would be a complete novice but I bet the pups would have a ball! I love the 3rd photo too... the focus on all the dogs faces is awesome! I'll try and take some photos if I go along on Sunday but I'm pretty sure my success rate would only be about 1% identifyable as a dog haha

• 1 month later...

You've done really well, some awesome shots in there. Flicking through your Flickr it seems the long lens (600mm) got most of the use, seems to have worked nicely! LOL at Kirislin's comment about 'keeper rates', every time is switch the camera to 'constant high burst' shooting, it triggers something in my brain that says 'be conservative, you have go troll through all this later in LR dopey' haha.

I guess the positive with the lure coursing is you have a much better idea of the past they are (or well should) be following.

• 2 weeks later...

I was happy with this sequence though

14943143615_b5f3581b70_z.jpgMarloo running sequence CR LM by kirislin, on Flickr

sometimes peoples attitudes can be disappointing. I dont ask alot to send full res images to people. The owner of this photo commented that she would love me to email it to her, and when I said sure! I charge $5 I didn't hear from her again. If this was my dog I'd be thrilled to get a shot of it like this. I dont think $5 is too much to ask, but it seems it is. :( Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

14755765679_fff28a9159_z.jpg5F6A4423dpptcr by kirislin, on Flickr

^This, I wouldn't worry about it. Modern society seems to have some weird monetary values on things, the same person that seemingly thought $5 bucks was too much for a great capture of their most beloved dog in action, a shot that most people cannot replicate, and certainly cannot that moment again. They did however more than likely spent $5 on some boiling water with some coffee in it the following morning.

Edited by Spoony

I completely agree that you should charge and $5 is nothing for them considering the cost of the equipment that allowed you to take the shot, not to mention the experience you have as well.

I have a friend that would take photos of motorbike racing and live gigs, she got really good and spent a lot of money on lenses, but it annoyed me that she would give her photos away for free. People would request her to show up at gigs and take photos and she would hand them all over for nothing. Haven't seen her in awhile so I hope she's finally charging

$5 is a bargain for one of your photos Kirislin...

With my zoo photos, I'm happy to give them to the zoos - but they have to credit me on anything they publish to social media. I get plenty of other perks like behind the scenes stuff and exotic animal cuddles, so I'm happy with the "arrangement"... *grin*

T.

• 1 month later...

Had a fantastic day of lure coursing yesterday! It was Poppy's first go at the full course with turns, she ran on her own for the first run and did really well until about 50m from the end when she decided she had to poop! :laugh:

For the second run we teamed up with Chewy the Tibbie and they ran brilliantly as a pair, so well matched.

Here is a video someone took so you can get some idea of size of the course and the speed that the dynamic duo were running at :D

very cute, that's quite a long way for little dogs to run. It didn't look too twisty turny but less chance of injuries that way.

If you start taking her alot she'll soon learn to "empty out" (that's what the greyhound trainers call it) before she runs if you give her to opportunity to. :D

I think this was the longest course they have set up to date and Poppy's first day doing the full course - previously she has just done the straight 100m 'fun run'. Her and Chewy are both fit little dogs, so coped fine with the length of the course, but she did sleep very well that night :)

I'll encourage her to 'empty out' beforehand next time :laugh:

Edited by CrazyCresties