Spine Xray ?

Hi Folk's,

Have done a search on this but came up with nothing so I thought I'd ask all you knowledgable

doler's about Spine Xray's. Had a Vet/ Behaviourist out to our home the other day for help with my BC girl. Much to my surprise the Vet suggested that Sonny, my 5 year old male was showing signs of back soreness & recommended I get his spine Xrayed & to put him on some Joint Guard or alike. I was shocked as I really hadn't noticed any change in him. I feel so bad. Like I have dropped the ball big time, letting him suffer. Poor boy :( Stella being such a challanging girl to own she does take a lot of my attention. Anyway I have been giving Sonny some Joint Guard each day since & the change in him is dramatic in just 2 days. He is bouncing around like a 2 year old & doesn't stop running like he used to. I'm amazed.

My question is for him to have a back Xray does he have to be anaesthetised ? Has anyone had this happen with their dog? He must have injured himself somehow & it hasn't healed or something, who knows but I'm about to ring the Vet to book him anyway but just out of interest was all.

I doubt the stuff has worked that quickly ,never has in my experience .

Some vets can do them not knocked out but its rare & personally i prefer knocked out so they can get what they need done quickly & place the dog in the position that best gives answers.

The dog may need to simply see a good chiro or bowen person

I doubt the stuff has worked that quickly ,never has in my experience .

Some vets can do them not knocked out but its rare & personally i prefer knocked out so they can get what they need done quickly & place the dog in the position that best gives answers.

The dog may need to simply see a good chiro or bowen person

Have the xray first so you know what you are dealing with

Sometimes sedation is all that is needed

Sonny is going for his Xrays on Monday. They are going to sedate him for this.On examination of him our Vet seemed to be under the impression he could be suffering the on set of Arthritis.Sonny showed slight signs of pain in his mid. back area. Also when the vet went to stretch out his hind legs behind him he whined & you could see he was in definite discomfort. His hip area was causing him grief.In fact the Vet wasn't able to fully stretch out either back leg as Sonny would quickly pull them back in.

Poor boy :( I'm surprised & saddened if this be the case as he is only 5 years old. Seems so young to be Arthritic.

I hope I can get him some relief ASAP. The Vet was talking about some injections for him but I can't remember the name of them. Seems they can be very effective with some dogs. They are such a worry our beautiful dogs when they are unwell aren't they? I can't bare to see him suffering :(

Would appreciate doler's thought's on this. Anyone had similar issues???

Edited by BC Crazy

Was it cartrophen? Emma used to have cartrophen and it worked a treat. We also have a BC x kelpie at work who is ab out 17 and she gets monthly cartrophen (I think it's monthly) and it does wonders for her and keeps her mobile!

You've had a bit of a bad run at the moment BC Crazy. I hope Sonny is all ok. I can't really give much advice just good wishes. I did have Kenz at the chiro (when I also took Hamish), and there was some stiffness in her spine which was put down to her active training. So we were given a few exercises, she had some very minor manipulation done and it was recommended to keep her on fish oil/sardines to keep everything moving. This worked well for her. She was a tiny bit similar to Sonny in that when her rear legs were extended she found it to be a bit painful.

I think also, probably the earlier that you get on to things like arthritis hopefully the longer it takes for it to become an issue.

Anyway, good luck with it all.

Thanks Pretty Miss Emma. Yes I am having a bit of a bad run atm but Stella is going along much better & seems alot more settled & touch wood, no seizures thus far on new meds. So I'm very quietly extactic thus far :thumbsup:

Cartrophen was the drug the Vet mentioned. It's definitely his hip's/rear legs that seem to be causing him the most grief. Seems quite stiff & when his legs where extended he reacted quickly in pain. So in that respect quite similar to Kenz. I do hope that Sonny doesn't have Arthritis as he is still a relitively young dog. But your right in saying best to catch it early.

I have tweaked his exercise for the moment. More swimming, less ball retrieve. Just thought less stress on his body even though we play on the sand till we get him sorted.

Both my guys have Omega 369 + E daily as I give them Megaderm as well as sardines twice a week. The Vet was impressed with his condition & his weight is spot on. He is a big lad. Quite long in body as well. Top end on the BC scale. Very sweet, soft natured boy. Just a delight really.

Monday will shed some light on what we are dealing with. Hopefully just a trip to the Chiro or alike :crossfingers:

Just ordered some Rosehip Vital. So will trail him on it. Can't hurt I thought as it is a natural product. Might give him some relief.

Edited by BC Crazy

Playing on sand especially if its soft is extremely hard on their hind end BC Crazy. Swimming would be fine though. Kenz has had soreness in through her spine because of all the issues going on with her back end. However the physio was never sure which was the cause of which. They wanted spinal x-rays but it wouldn't change the management so we didn't go ahead with them. Lots of physio/massage sees to have helped and when she had the physio out recently her back has actually improved over the last 12 months pain wise in that she couldn't find any soreness.

Oh ness, I thought as the sand was soft it would be better than on the lawn :o Thank for bringing that to my attention. I didn't know that. No wonder the Vet said both my guys have excellent muscle tone, especially in their hind quarters. Maybe just the swimming for the moment then which is fine as he is a big water baby anyway.

Vet wants Xrays to see if he is Arthritic I think. I have been lightly massaging him daily.

From memory you use Rosehip Vital ness don't you? I'm going to give it a go. Got it online yesterday at a great price. $65 for a 500g jar :thumbsup: As you know only too well all of these vet visits & meds cost $$$$ so any saving is great.

Just an update on Sonny. Results of Spine Xray's done yesterday. Xrayed spine & knee's which all looked great. Unfortunately both Sonny's hips are effected by Arthritis quite severely for a 5 year old dog. I'm deeply saddened by this news. I don't wont him to be in pain/suffering all the time :cry: I also hope he doesn't 'get old' before his time :(

Anyway at least I know where we are at now I guess & I will manage him as best as I can. I have never allowed my dogs to suffer extreme's in weather temp be it too cold or hot. Vet said that was great as the cold will play havoc with him. Sonny has never slept outside on the ground which is another 'no no'. And he swims daily which is a big plus as it isn't a weight baring exercise. I help him into the back of my car as sometimes he has shown some reluctance to jump up & I thought he was just being a bit lazy :o:(

As far as actual treatment goes there is no cure of course just management. I have decided to try Rose Hip Vital first. See how he goes on that. I have him on Megaderm daily, which the Vet also said was great.

Thanks for everyone's support/help. Don't know what I'd do without it. Any further advice I always welcome.

Edited by BC Crazy

Just an update on Sonny. Results of Spine Xray's done yesterday. Xrayed spine & knee's which all looked great. Unfortunately both Sonny's hips are effected by Arthritis quite severely for a 5 year old dog. I'm deeply saddened by this news. I don't wont him to be in pain/suffering all the time :cry: I also hope he doesn't 'get old' before his time :(

Anyway at least I know where we are at now I guess & I will manage him as best as I can. I have never allowed my dogs to suffer extreme's in weather temp be it too cold or hot. Vet said that was great as the cold will play havoc with him. Sonny has never slept outside on the ground which is another 'no no'. And he swims daily which is a big plus as it isn't a weight baring exercise. I help him into the back of my car as sometimes he has shown some reluctance to jump up & I thought he was just being a bit lazy :o:(

As far as actual treatment goes there is no cure of course just management. I have decided to try Rose Hip Vital first. See how he goes on that. I have him on Megaderm daily, which the Vet also said was great.

Thanks for everyone's support/help. Don't know what I'd do without it. Any further advice I always welcome.

Out of curiousity, had Sonny been hip scored previously and were his parents scored?

Out of curiousity, had Sonny been hip scored previously and were his parents scored?

Yes, Sonny is an AI boy who's dad hip score was 0.0 & his mum is 1.10.

Temp, interesting.... with the china med arthritis formula is that a human supplement? The glucosamine chondroitin sounds worth looking into as well. This is the avenue I want to go with him first. Coukd you tell me where you purchase these from

PM me if you'd prefer

I would also look at acupuncture and China Med arthritis formula, and glucosamine chondroitin as well as RHCV.

If you intend to use a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, choose one that also contains MSM. I use a human preparation for my dogs. Wagners make a gluc/chon/MSM powder. Natures Way make the combination in a tablet. I use the Wagner powder added to their BARF mealfor the dogs and take the Natures Way tablet myself.

Would Cartrophen injections be at all viable for Sonny? I'm so sorry to read that he's suffering severe arthritis at such a young age. :(

We had our older Aussie Terrier Poochie on Cartrophen and Glyde powder and she bounced back to life. Her arthritis wasn't in her hips though.

If there is any inflammation around the joints Rimadyl or Meloxicam might help as anti-inflammitories. Best check with the vet though.

:hug:

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update regarding Sonny. I have had him on Rose Hip Vital Canine for a fortnight now & what a huge difference it has made :thumbsup: He is bouncing around like a 2 year old again. He's moving so much freer. Such a difference even in his face & eye's, he is back to being a really happy boy again. So wonderful to witness the transformation in a short period of time. I wouldn't of believed it unless I witnessed it myself. I have upped his swimming & lessened his running around. Doing more scent work as well as it isn't taxing on his joints. I just have to keep an eye on him as I don't want him to over do it now in all of his 'I feel good' moments :laugh:

I'm wrapped with RHVC & will continue to use it. Have got Stella on the maintance dose as well, can't hurt :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts & help :flower:

Edited by BC Crazy