Semen Question

Wazzat Xolo

has anyone had experience with a semen sample of a high count but with missing tails on most of the semen, slow moving sperm on the ones with tails ? This makes it impossible for the sperm to penetrate the egg? Looking for anyone who has experienced the same with semen or their dog ? Not an infection and been tested for all the vet can think of.

post-9555-0-98697500-1397048001_thumb.jpg

high count but yes something not right, appeared to be better as a young dog and by age 4 was not functioning, looks like it may be in certain lines, but cant confirm that, just some basic research I have done with certain matings.

has anyone had experience with a semen sample of a high count but with missing tails on most of the semen, slow moving sperm on the ones with tails ? This makes it impossible for the sperm to penetrate the egg? Looking for anyone who has experienced the same with semen or their dog ? Not an infection and been tested for all the vet can think of.

post-9555-0-98697500-1397048001_thumb.jpg

No experience with this but thinking maybe it is natures way of saying this dog is not for breeding. Maybe some contaminant somewhere has caused the sperm to mutate although you would never find out. There is all sorts in the air & environment now that we are not aware of.

I had a dog with similar issues. Some tails were missing, most had tails but they were bent. Like your dog tests did not show any infection or reason. My dog did sire a couple of good size litters but was withdrawn from stud after several misses which is when we discovered the problem.

Not too long after prostrate issues arose and he was neutered. Not totally sure if the two were connected but it was considered to be a possiblity.

Edited by Airedaler

My boy sired 3 litters between the age of 2-5 years. We took a collection for frozen semen at about age 3, and he had a high count and there were no signs of any problems with the collection - we have yet to use this frozen semen to date. About 3 months after he sired his last litter, we used him over 1 of our girls which resulted in no puppies. When we decided to take another collection about 1 month later, we discovered that he had no viable sperm - all had no tails. He was fit as a fiddle, and we were not able to determine what had caused this. However we did find out later that his father became sterile at about the same age but we do not know any circumstances surrounding this and may have been due to a different reason. We desexed our boy at that time and he lived into his teens.

We did not keep any sons of this boy, but we did breed with 2 of his daughters. A grandson of this boy has recently sired a litter of 5 at the age of 9, which is a normal sized litter for our breed. He was tested prior to the mating (along with his son who is 6 years old - a great-grandson of my original boy) and both had a high sperm count, with no signs of the original problem.

My boy sired 3 litters between the age of 2-5 years. We took a collection for frozen semen at about age 3, and he had a high count and there were no signs of any problems with the collection - we have yet to use this frozen semen to date. About 3 months after he sired his last litter, we used him over 1 of our girls which resulted in no puppies. When we decided to take another collection about 1 month later, we discovered that he had no viable sperm - all had no tails. He was fit as a fiddle, and we were not able to determine what had caused this. However we did find out later that his father became sterile at about the same age but we do not know any circumstances surrounding this and may have been due to a different reason. We desexed our boy at that time and he lived into his teens.

We did not keep any sons of this boy, but we did breed with 2 of his daughters. A grandson of this boy has recently sired a litter of 5 at the age of 9, which is a normal sized litter for our breed. He was tested prior to the mating (along with his son who is 6 years old - a great-grandson of my original boy) and both had a high sperm count, with no signs of the original problem.

Thank you everyone for the replies OliBlu yours sounds identical to the problem we faced, it appears the problem cant be pin pointed by vets and has cropped up world wide.

Thank you all again for replies.

I was reading some information regarding horse people feeding soy meal to horses. It has been linked to fertility issues in stallions and mares due to phytoestrogens.

No not a diet fault or anything that can be fixed by

herbal" etc all good, it was just an issue I thought maybe someone had dealings with and an answer . I think its just Gods will lol, all good have semen from others and a male dog to replace, just hate not having a definite answer.

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

My boy had a bad sample that the vet said was due to an enlarged prostate. Put him on antibiotics.

Prostate went down. Then he had mast cell tumour removed from his leg

Had a sperm sample take a few months later and all was good.

My girls are back in season so will try to freeze again now. Fingers crossed.

My boy had a bad sample that the vet said was due to an enlarged prostate. Put him on antibiotics.

Prostate went down. Then he had mast cell tumour removed from his leg

Had a sperm sample take a few months later and all was good.

My girls are back in season so will try to freeze again now. Fingers crossed.

thank you, we did have his prostate checked, but I have learnt a lot from this thread thank you again

Wassat when Finn died we collected his testes.

Stuart Mason looked at semen. Good count and moving but lots of abnormalities. Stuart siad that he had probably only been sexually mature for about 2 months, this fitted in with his behaviour.

He had had 2 matings 1 phantom and 1 with 4 pups.

Stuart suggested not to freeze as a lot would die and more die when thawing.

He suggested not to collect till 2 for a toy and 2-3 for a large breed.

However your lad is older so as you suggest it could be acquired infertility.

Wassat when Finn died we collected his testes.

Stuart Mason looked at semen. Good count and moving but lots of abnormalities. Stuart siad that he had probably only been sexually mature for about 2 months, this fitted in with his behaviour.

He had had 2 matings 1 phantom and 1 with 4 pups.

Stuart suggested not to freeze as a lot would die and more die when thawing.

He suggested not to collect till 2 for a toy and 2-3 for a large breed.

However your lad is older so as you suggest it could be acquired infertility.

thanks for the replies, its no doubt something that cant be fixed, so rather than fuss with this with more tests and wasted money, we have imported some semen and brought a new dog for the future. ( fingers crossed)