Administration Fees?

It would depend on how long the people have had the dog before returning it... at one point there was a rash of people "adopting" young dogs/pups during the school holidays as entertainment for the kids, then returning them on the last day of the holidays as "unsuitable"... ie. they had served the purpose of school holiday entertainment...

If you have a trial period, then the dog should be able to be returned within that period without extra cost... after that, I'd call the fee a "surrender fee" instead.

It is most likely perfectly legal to do so, but may be seen by most as somewhat "unethical"...

T.

Hmm, I'm not so sure. I can recall reading somewhere where an administration fee was charged by a company and it was deemed illegal because there was no cost associated with the refund.

If you offer a refund because the product (in this case a dog that is on trial and on trial for a purpose) is not suitable, can you legitimately deduct a fee?

If an adoption doesnt work out,I consider it is more important to get our dogs back and find them another home than worry about withholding adoption fees, part or the lot.

It is better for the rescue's reputation that the whole fee is refunded,as there is the risk the people will bad mouth the rescue if they feel they have been

badly done by, and there are arguments with them about the refund.

It is better to refund the money and let them just go on their way.

There is also the chance the people will make up some very adverse stories about the dog to support their reason for returning the dog,to make it seem the dogs fault

and not that they have had a change of mind and regretted getting the dog,if they feel this would convince a rescue to refund their money.

Worse still they may just hang onto the dog if they cant get their money back, and this would be a dreadful situation for a dog,in a home where it wasn't really wanted.It would

probably be dumped in a few months, and you wouldnt get your dog back and a chance to rehome it.

There is also the chance the people may just donate the part or all of the fee in the end,which sometimes happens.

Of course there would be a time frame,it couldnt be after 6 months or a year,but you would always want your dogs back if an adoption did not work out.

When charging on doing paperwork then I would take it you are being paid a wage which I don't think happens in rescue and legally I don't think you can charge a fee.

I think the group that is doing this needs to get over themselves and start acting for the dogs and not being a money making group.

What Honeybun said, way more important to just get the dog back into care safely.

I would say the majority of people have the right intentions and hopefully by educating we can help them get the right dog next time.

I don't see it as unreasonable to keep a small 'admin' fee. Taking the dog back may complicate foster carer space, may require the animal to be transported to a further away carer and will take time to sort out paperwork and readvertise the animal, plus of course feeding them for longer when back in your care.

That said in the real world I probably would 'waive' that fee in a case of an animal genuinely not working out. Maybe something like a full refund within a certain amount of time(or via private arrangement where the rescue is working through some issues with the adopter for example) and then an admin fee after that to deter those who would consider the whole just give it back when we are bored with it scenario.

I would never do this. I've worked in rescue for years now and in one particular group that I spent many years in, one of the issues was that not enough was known about the dogs when they were rehomed. You really had to hope for the best sometimes and there were definitely cases where the people were penalised. That rescue group does not refund any money at all if a dog is returned. Just like pounds.

What this meant to the dog in some cases that I discovered was that they were sold on elsewhere, given away or even euthanased - perhaps the long drive back to the shelter was inconvenient and the problem had to go asap.

For me, every dog I rescue is precious to me, I would never want to jeopardise their safety by making things hard or unreasonable.

Guest Wildthing

I have been in cat rescue for 19 years. Everyone who adopts a cat from me is given a 30 day trial period. If the cat is returned after the 30 days, no refund is given and I make that very clear when people are adopting. I have only had a few (2) cats returned in the 30 day trial period and one after that time, so they did not get a refund. While the people have had the animal, the potential for that animal to find another home may have been lost.

I do not see anything wrong with no refund after 30 days. Each rescue is different and I doubt any of us are doing anything illegal. Initially, I advertised a full refund given and no trial period. Had a cat returned after 5 months and it had been missing for two of those months. That made me change to a strict trial period. Perhaps I am lucky with returns!

The reference was specific to deducting 'administration fees' from refunds, not on refusing refund a after 30 days, Wildthing.

None of us know really what the legalities are. We are all only assuming and guessing based on our varied experiences and our layman's knowledge.

It's pleasing (to me personally) though to see most think the idea of deducting a fee doesn't sit well. If you place a dog or cat in a home on trial, it is on T R I A L. Trial meaning a period after which a final decision on will be made. It is a temporary placement to ensure a match before the deal is finalised.

Adopters are not buying a product that is a defined and specific item because it is a living thing that breathes and has a personality. We cannot ever guarantee anything 100% with a match between a home and a rescue so we offer a trial. It is of immense benefit to the animal being rehomed and to those who may adopt. If it doesn't work out, we take the animal back into our fold and we continue to find the perfect match.

I hope that a fee free trial period remains the norm in rescue and for breeders.