Registered Rescues

Do you think the government will ever get to the point of registered rescues like they have registered breeders? Do you think it would be a good idea or bad? I havent put a ton of thought into it but I think it would be a great idea where rescues had to be registered, have checks done etc. I wonder if it will ever happen

It's been talked about often, but considering that not all rescues (reputable and respectable ones to boot) run in exactly the same manner, and no-one can agree on the "best" way to run a rescue... it's always an interesting discussion... *grin*

T.

Because having registered breeders has really stopped people from breeding unregistered dogs...

No it hasnt i know that but if I wanted a puppy i would go through a registered breeder but if there wasnt registered breeders the chances of me buying a pup from a byb is much higher

LOL, mixeduppup was being very facetious :laugh: :laugh:

If you think legislators/councils would ever be able to get their fingers out to care enough to register rescue organisations have a read of HazyWal's thread about her greyhounds being attacked and injured. Some commitment to animal laws - NOT!! :mad

Frankly, I don't think it will ever happen.

In a perfect world there would be proper management and control,and only good well run rescue would exist,but in a perfect world rescue wouldnt be needed.

If a government cannot even protect children in their own homes or in foster homes/institutions,then they'll be even more slack when animals are involved.

All the legislation in the world cant be everywhere 24/7,looking over everyones shoulder etc.

Even if it was decided it was possible there would be so many committess,enquiries,then when they had something to go with,the lobby groups would step in and water it all down to just about useless.

There are laws about animal cruelty and yet, there is still animal cruelty,and even when it is prosecuted, there is only a slap on the wrist.

Another layer of government intervention,reports to write,forms to fill in,probably fees imposed wouldnt help either.

One just has to hope and pray the well run rescues continue to prosper and the badly run ones will fall by the wayside and the harsh light of critisism will get them to cease their operation.

But surely there are standards for keeping animals thats a start, there are laws to how long to get paperwork etc I know there would still be backyard rescuers but there has to be something that they could come up with.

I agree with this. Minimum standard of care, adoption process and the public having an anvenue for complaint is common sense.

If ANY rescue will not meet basic minimum requirements in any way shape or form red flags fly.

It's been talked about often, but considering that not all rescues (reputable and respectable ones to boot) run in exactly the same manner, and no-one can agree on the "best" way to run a rescue... it's always an interesting discussion... *grin*

T.

Regulation will happen. Mark my words.

Quite frankly if any rescue debated very basic requirements in the care and rehoming of sheltered pets for adoption I would worry.

In a perfect world there would be proper management and control,and only good well run rescue would exist,but in a perfect world rescue wouldnt be needed.

If a government cannot even protect children in their own homes or in foster homes/institutions,then they'll be even more slack when animals are involved.

All the legislation in the world cant be everywhere 24/7,looking over everyones shoulder etc.

Even if it was decided it was possible there would be so many committess,enquiries,then when they had something to go with,the lobby groups would step in and water it all down to just about useless.

There are laws about animal cruelty and yet, there is still animal cruelty,and even when it is prosecuted, there is only a slap on the wrist.

Another layer of government intervention,reports to write,forms to fill in,probably fees imposed wouldnt help either.

One just has to hope and pray the well run rescues continue to prosper and the badly run ones will fall by the wayside and the harsh light of critisism will get them to cease their operation.

Proper management and control? Show me where that is?

Children v's shelter pets does not rate, forget it.

T.

Quite frankly if any rescue debated very basic requirements in the care and rehoming of sheltered pets for adoption I would worry.

It'll never happen Nic , I can only speak of greyhound rescue and I honestly despair for the breed I love :(

T.

It'll never happen Nic , I can only speak of greyhound rescue and I honestly despair for the breed I love :(

It will happen IMO. It only requires a corroniners inquest into the forseeable death of a child or adult.

Similar to BSL legislation in VIC.

At the rate some rescues opperate right now and have been for years despite formal compaints to every available body associated it is only a matter of time :(

Couldnt an organization be made to kinda self police rescues where rescues can get registered and this organization can deal with it? So when people are adopting they can go to this organization to get recommendations of which rescues to contact?

Couldnt an organization be made to kinda self police rescues where rescues can get registered and this organization can deal with it? So when people are adopting they can go to this organization to get recommendations of which rescues to contact?

I think the most effective way would be a logo or symbol the public, vets, shelters, transport companies, other rescues etc can easily identify.

Rescues who are registered are able to display the logo. It would also give new rescue groups a platform to work toward in becoming reputable.

The public (and everyone else involved in rescue) have no way of knowing atm. Adopting families have every right to be able to distinguish reputable from the rest. I do not envy some adopting families these days :( let alone volunteers or people who donate!

The sticking point historically has always been "who" or "which" body will oversee regulation though if something is not done soon, it will be taken out of our hands altogether in one foul swoop.

Rescue is not what it was years and years ago, everything moves and changes. IMO rescue needs to move with those changes for the benefit of sheltered pets and the families who adopt them.

I am very suprised MN has not created her own logo for all rescue yet :rofl: she can hand it out to people she has sucked in after they kiss her backside. She would be able to handle all complaints just as she has done in the past AND manage all of the donations :whip:

The problem she has is she will be the only person with her logo :rofl: Perhaps that is why she has not capitalised on the idea...

The MDBA has a Rescue COP for their rescue members... just saying...

T.

Yep, and do an awesome job!

I do think that regulation needs to be National though, a lot of rescues are not dol members.