Preventic Collar (amatraz = Active Ingredient)

I've moved from Oz to Florida. We have scads of ticks here, fortunately not paralysis ticks, but lyme disease and a few other diseases show up occasionally.

I was getting two ro three ticks a day each on my three dogs (Labradors). Then I tried a tick collar tried Preventic, active ingredient is amatraz. I have found only one tick in the last four months, and I haven't changed the collars yet. Pretty amazing cause they're only supposed to be good for two months. I know the buggers are still out there, cause I find them on myself every now and then.

I've never heard this particular drug discussed on DOL. Given what a horrible problem paralysis ticks are, thought some of you might want to try it. It is available in Oz, and not that expensive. eg.,

http://www.vetshopaustralia.com.au/preventic-tick-collar-C99.aspx

Thanks for the info. I don't think we have paralysis ticks in WA but I have bookmarked your link to get one if and when we decide to go camping with my dog as they seem like particularly nasty buggers.

Amitraz is not a particularly "nice" chemical. It can be extremely toxic if ingested and if these collars are used in multiple dog situations care needs to be taken that the collars are not chewed by other dogs. The end of the collar must be shortened so that the wearer cant reach it to chew. The skin area in contact with the collar must be checked regularly for signs of reaction to the chemical. Amitraz must not be used on dogs that are ill, have liver problems or are in whelp or feeding puppies etc etc.

Personally I think that there are safer ways of dealing with ticks, and daily tick checks should always be done regardless of what other control or preventative measures are used when in paralysis tick areas.

I used these collars for a while. Apart from the problem with the dogs chewing each others' collars, my vet said he saw a tick dog with 2 ticks under the collar, and one of my dogs had a tick on her ear when wearing the collar. I think paralysis ticks are much tougher than some other ticks (not sure about your USA ticks) but if the collars are working for you and you are happy with them, good. I am not dissing what you say, just relating my experiences with Preventic.

I can't use tick collars as my dogs are in swimming every day. I have great success with Advantix & havn't found a tick for ages (touch wood) I do apply it a bit differently to the directions on the pack though. I keep them dry for 24 hours before & for 48 hours after....so 3 days without swimming. I part their hair & apply the Advantix all the way down along their spine from behind their ears to the base of the tail making sure that as much as possible goes directly onto their skin. My 22 kilo boy gets 2.5 mls & my 18 kilo girl gets 2.00 mls every two weeks.

I used these collars for a while. Apart from the problem with the dogs chewing each others' collars, my vet said he saw a tick dog with 2 ticks under the collar, and one of my dogs had a tick on her ear when wearing the collar. I think paralysis ticks are much tougher than some other ticks (not sure about your USA ticks) but if the collars are working for you and you are happy with them, good. I am not dissing what you say, just relating my experiences with Preventic.

My dogs always wear flat leather collars, which are looser than the tick collar and lie over it. So collar chewing hits the leather. As for eating the trimmed ends, it's not hard to dispose of them in a way that makes this impossible. My dogs don't seem to find them attractive anyway.

We have mostly lone star ticks here. It's quite possible that they are more responsive than your paralysis ticks. . . .and possible that ticks in Australia have developed resistance to various toxins due to widespread use of livestock drenches.

Mine get in water daily, but for the most part it's in swamp and their necks usually stay dry.

Paralysis ticks are a lot tougher than other ticks. To give you an idea the spot on treatments are used monthly for fleas and bush ticks but if you wish to use them for paralysis ticks they must be used fortnightly. The effective time period is also reduced for preventic for them to be considered strong wnough for parlysis ticks. They are horrible critters!