Bassett Hound - 10 Yr Old Male

I have found them to be very helpful when i have spoken to the secretary. Realistically he's only probably got another year or two at he most so it's a hard age to put him in the pound at :(

If you can get a chip number for him the basset club secretary has had ANKC records checked for me to try to source the breeder of that other basset looking for rehome not long ago so might be worth seeing if you can get a chip number to her.

I'm sure i could convince my husband to have him here at the very least as a foster. I'd love to say he could stay till the end of his days but couldn't guarantee anything until i knew how well he got along with my girls so I'd prefer to foster him under someone's umbrella and if it worked out I could talk adoption with them but if not then he'd be in the proper rescue system to find a suitable home. Whatever happens please keep me as back up. So few come through rescue and I'm not willing to let any slip through the cracks if I can help it!

I have found them to be very helpful when i have spoken to the secretary. Realistically he's only probably got another year or two at he most so it's a hard age to put him in the pound at :(

If you can get a chip number for him the basset club secretary has had ANKC records checked for me to try to source the breeder of that other basset looking for rehome not long ago so might be worth seeing if you can get a chip number to her.

I've given the Pound's contact details to the Club so it's up to them to investigate if they want to.

I've never forgotten a conversation I had with a Bassett breeder a few years ago who told me that if anyone returned one of their dogs and it was over 5 years of age, they put the dog to sleep ...

I value old dogs personally, no matter what breed/mix and as someone who runs a breed rescue (a breed without a club), we believe in helping our breed, no matter what age they are.

I've never forgotten a conversation I had with a Bassett breeder a few years ago who told me that if anyone returned one of their dogs and it was over 5 years of age, they put the dog to sleep ...

I value old dogs personally, no matter what breed/mix and as someone who runs a breed rescue (a breed without a club), we believe in helping our breed, no matter what age they are.

That's terribly sad. we adopted an older gentleman on purpose :( Hope this guy can find someone to care for him in his old age.

I was surprised to see that very few of the Sydney pounds do a reduced rate for very old dogs? Everywhere I have lived has had a greatly reduced cost to try to encourage people to take on the very old ones, especially given they usually have more ongoing costs too so they are less 'desirable' for a few reasons. :(

Is there a specific person here who usually keeps an eye on the happenings at Hawkesbury? I could email the pound myself but given I'm not currently associated with a specific rescue that might be more confusing than worthwhile.

I do check their website most days and also, as a rescuer, am on a distribution list for dogs needing rescue.

I can also visit on a Saturday morning (their opening hours aren't great at weekends) and have a look at any dogs.

Thanks DM. I presume it was Gayle and Wayne Tape you would have emailed. Hopefully they can help. I spoke to someone who used to be associated with breed rescue for bassets and he said they always had a good list of people who would take on a basset in need, even an older one so fingers crossed there is a good home waiting for this boy!

Fabulous news Schnauzer :) As I said if there is need of a foster home/temp care or anything for him I'm more than happy to put my hand up. Also i'll be travelling to Vic in about a month and again possibly a month after that so happy to help transport him if needed as I won't have my girls with me that time

Old dogs are the best dogs.

Yes, And when you adopt an old dog, you think you're doing it a great favour. Then you find out that the old dogs give far more wonderful things than you can ever give them. Old dogs are magic.