Neighbours Dogs Fighting

Pepper21

I had some new neighbours move in a few months back with 2 mini foxies. They were very excited little dogs that barked and escaped regularly. Someone clearly complained about it because the owners fixed their fences and did a letter drop to apologise to the neighbourhood and inform everyone that they had hired a trainer.

Their chain-link fences are about 4 metres away from the path that I walk my dog on, and they used to just bark at us. I used them as a training aid for my reactive boy (with much success). More recently, they have started to fight. It started out as a snap or two but now they roll around on the ground and slam each other into the fence and adjacent wall. In an absolute frenzy. Even when we get past that bit of fencing, they run in the garage to follow us and fight in there too - despite the fact that they can't see us. I'm sure they're doing damage to one another, and they do this every time ANY dog walks past. There's no way to sneak past them.

I don't know if the owners are aware of what's happening. They walk both dogs regularly, and I saw them both with citronella collars on recently (puffing away uselessly as they barked the damn things empty). When the owners are home, the dogs are inside and not barking. But, they work 9-5 on weekdays.

This isn't really affecting me directly. It's actually quite beneficial to teaching my boy to ignore such a high degree of arousal in other dogs. But, the owners are renting and I don't want them to be kicked out if someone complains. I also (obviously) don't want the dogs hurt or stressed anymore. It's very hard to watch/hear them trying to kill each other on a regular basis. I hear them about 12 times a day, and get an adrenalin kick every time.

What can I do? I don't want to give unsolicited advice, and I'm not even sure what I could say anyway.

I would drop a note into their mail box saying you have noticed the dogs are redirecting agression onto each other when you walk past and you are concerned they may not realise. It is not an uncommon problem and as they have said they are working with a trainer they have somewhere to get advice.

I did that once before to another neighbours dog, and gave my details in case they had any questions (their little dog kept escaping and bailing up people). The owner called me and accused me of reporting her dog to council which resulted in a fine. Which I didn't. She was very rude and very angry.

Would it be rude of me to not leave any details?

I don't know if this would work - two terrier types can be very difficult together for the redirected aggression when in certain situations - but get two saucepan lids that make a huge noise when clanged together and try that - this is something you can do from your side when they start a scrap on the other side.

Water would be no good with Foxies but this might help. Dogs hate the noise - I have my dogs fence fighting with my neighbour's dog (not with each other) and barking and carrying on.

Now, as soon as I show them the saucepan lids they walk away from the fence ....

I tried water to no avail and then remembered a very naughty terrier I had years ago where nothing had worked until I read somewhere about making a loud, sudden noise hence the saucepan lids. He always stopped whatever he was doing at the sight of the lids.

I would drop a note into their mail box saying you have noticed the dogs are redirecting agression onto each other when you walk past and you are concerned they may not realise. It is not an uncommon problem and as they have said they are working with a trainer they have somewhere to get advice.

I agree with this - and (per comment directly between my post and quoted post. I dont think it would be rude to not leave details.

A simple,

just wanted to let you know your little guys fight a lot when strangers (myself included) walk past with dogs.

and maybe offer a suggestion to fix it (shade cloth, other means to visually block). I'd suggest that the note, trainer, citronella collar and fact they're inside when owners are home means the owners are loving, concerned and genuinely trying to fix problems.

I agree you should pop a note into the letterbox to let them know what is happening - I am sure they would want to know so they can address it with their trainer. Don't sign it if you don't feel comfortable - after all it is out of concern that their dogs are hurting each other.

I don't know about making a noise to distract them - that might have an adverse effect on the OP's dog also??

I agree you should pop a note into the letterbox to let them know what is happening - I am sure they would want to know so they can address it with their trainer. Don't sign it if you don't feel comfortable - after all it is out of concern that their dogs are hurting each other.

I don't know about making a noise to distract them - that might have an adverse effect on the OP's dog also??

It might Rosetta but what to do to stop the dogs fighting? Best solution would be to have a doggie door so the dogs would be inside more but if these people are renting that might not be possible.

I would talk to them they obviously care enough to get a trainer and letter drop to everyone reassuring neighbours of their plan . They would probably like to talk to someone as they may not have a clue Esp if the citronella collars are not working ?

I would talk to them they obviously care enough to get a trainer and letter drop to everyone reassuring neighbours of their plan . They would probably like to talk to someone as they may not have a clue Esp if the citronella collars are not working ?

No only not working but possibly causing them even more aggravation perhaps and worsening the aggression towards each other?

Do not do anything to someone elses dogs like bang saucepan lids. Boy woould I go you if you did that to my dogs. A nice note would be appropriate but it is not you job to tortue someone elses dogs.

Yes, I would be really upset if someone took it upon themselves to do something like that to my dogs, especially if I didn't know there was a problem and therefore couldn't do anything about it myself.

I agree with either have a chat to them or leave a note, without your details if you don't feel comfortable. If it were me I'd much rather an anonymous note than not knowing at all, although I'd probably prefer contact details so I could ask for more info.

Blocking their visual access would be the first step and may be all they need to do. Black weed mat is ugly but effective.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think it's really feasible to carry around saucepan lids, and I'd probably just piss the other neighbours off even more. But I'll remember it anyways.

I might head over there tomorrow afternoon to talk to the owners. They seem reasonable enough and obviously willing to do something about the problem so I may just be over thinking it. If I don't manage to catch them I'll leave a note as everyone suggested.

I don't think they're doing serious damage to each other yet, but they are getting much worse very quickly.

Plus you'd look like a total wally walking the dog with 2 saucepan lids...

You don't walk the dog with two saucepan lids and I never suggested it - common sense people ...

My suggestion was to do this from the other side of the fence - it works for me as a distraction to stop my dogs from barking. I thought the problem here was that the neighbour's dogs were scrapping causing a nuisance to the OP.

My experience has been that none of my neighbours have been interested in dealing with any of their dog problems properly which is why one of the neighbour's dogs spent almost every day in my house causing chaos for about 2 years before they fixed the issue.

With my next door neighbour whose dog drives me to distraction with barking through the fence, it is an easy fix that they are not prepared to do either.

Dogmad as I understand it they aren't direct neighbours but a house that is within ear shot and which they have to walk past when out walking.

I would just go and chat to them, they sound like proactive owners and would probably be grateful for the info.

Dogmad as I understand it they aren't direct neighbours but a house that is within ear shot and which they have to walk past when out walking.

I would just go and chat to them, they sound like proactive owners and would probably be grateful for the info.

Thanks Kelpiecuddles, I shouldn't have bothered replying :thumbsup: