What Makes A Jrt Puppy Show Or Pet Quality?

JRT Lover

Following on from my other thread tonight, what sorts of things might deem a puppy to be "only" pet quality? I understand that it's related to meeting (or not meeting) the breed standard, but I'm interested to know what the differences might be in a JRT. I'm looking at some breeders' websites and see some gorgeous dogs, just the sort of JRT we love, but of course they're all the show and breeding dogs so the pet quality puppies might end up nothing like these ones.

There are prices for pet quality puppies on the websites (approx $800-1000 depending on breeder) but POA for show quality puppies. What sort of % increase in price would you expect to see in a show quality puppy?

The standards are available on the ANKC site. In theory any dog who basically meets that standard would be considered show quality. Of course there are other factors such as training, the dogs temperament and confidence, coat maintenance, general health, etc which go in to then being very competitive as a show animal.

Following on from my other thread tonight, what sorts of things might deem a puppy to be "only" pet quality? I understand that it's related to meeting (or not meeting) the breed standard, but I'm interested to know what the differences might be in a JRT. I'm looking at some breeders' websites and see some gorgeous dogs, just the sort of JRT we love, but of course they're all the show and breeding dogs so the pet quality puppies might end up nothing like these ones.

There are prices for pet quality puppies on the websites (approx $800-1000 depending on breeder) but POA for show quality puppies. What sort of % increase in price would you expect to see in a show quality puppy?

you would have to ask the breeders how much extra they charge and also what guarantees they offer cause they are really only selling show potential. Pet or show, they all cost the same to raise. Really so called pet quality pups shouldn't be much different to the show potential ones, it is very often only minor things that rule a dog out of the show ring. Possible reasons for being "only" pet quality are mismarks - colour in the wrong spot, incorrect bite, over or under height, slightly turned out foot, too gay a tail etc

Edited by Rebanne

The standards are available on the ANKC site. In theory any dog who basically meets that standard would be considered show quality. Of course there are other factors such as training, the dogs temperament and confidence, coat maintenance, general health, etc which go in to then being very competitive as a show animal.

Another point might be if there are any breeders' terms in the purchase.

I went and got the standard for you:

http://www.ankc.org.au/Breed_Details.aspx?bid=60

Don't forget that while the standard is the standard what one person looks for in their dogs will be different to others. I would suggest not looking at websites, but getting out and meeting dogs and owners. Youtube will also be a good source of info - you can watch shows and other to get a good feel for how animals look at act in the ring.

Edited: I have not read your other thread - are you after a show dog or a pet? Scrap that - found your other thread.

I don't show so I will leave the rest to other (much more informed) members of the board other than to say

I) While I note you're in NSW - this Victorian page might be useful: http://www.dogsvictoria.org.au/GetInvolved/WhatisConformationDogShowing.aspx

and II) Don't forget that there are restrictions around having your dog desexed if you plan to show.

Edited by Scottsmum

but of course they're all the show and breeding dogs so the pet quality puppies might end up nothing like these ones.

Not if the breeder is a good one. In most cases the difference between show & pet is so small most people wouldn't even notice.

None. Pet & show are the same price here and with most people I know.

Also - there is no such thing as a show quality puppy - show POTENTIAL, yep, but if the breeder is offering show quality - run away very very quickly..

Bad question! It implies that pet quality is a reject. icon_smile_mad.gif Some dogs, including many small terriers (terriors) are unfit to be pets due to excessively aggressive temperament. Some such dogs might make good ratters, but they are a menace in the average home. Breeders who sell dogs as pets should actively work to make sure their pups make good pets, and are matched to the puppy buyer's needs.

With many breeders treating 'pet' as a reject category, it's no surprise that the general public has developed a low opinion of breeders.

<div><br></div><div>p.s. Nothing personal.  I doubt the OP meant the question the way I interpreted it.  But the pedigree dog world must get out of the habit of thinking of pets as rejects.</div>

Edited by sandgrubber

Sometimes there is not a lot of difference at all. Sometimes it comes down to personality. A really outgoing puppy who screams "look at me" could all that is the difference to a litter mate who is more quiet and not outgoing. In the show ring, you want to be noticed.

Aside from serious faults within breeds such as bad mouths (wry, over bite, under bite etc), colours, markings and size. A show quality and pet quality is the breeder being really nit picky in what they are looking for in the animal. As a breeder, you have to be very nit picky at times as you need to keep the best for breeding.

Otherwise the difference can be small and the average pet person may not even tell the differences. An average pet person will not necessarily know the correct head shape, lay of shoulder, correct spring of rib and loin or even the correct angles and the correct amount of turn of stifle or the length of hock. Some lines may have particular family features eg, longer body or broader skull. Both can be acceptable towards the breed standard. It comes down then to what particular style the breeder is breeding for and their particular lines.

Some breeds advertise most of their puppies on the "limited register" (not for breeding and showing). Although if you are really interested in showing, maybe talk to the breeders of the dogs you like about possibly entering into the show world. Some state Canine bodies charge a little more for Main Register than Limit Register. In Qld, it is the same price for both Main and Limited (about $40/pup) and breeders limit register their pups to stop kennels from getting hold of their lines (especially any rogue breeders within a particular breed who want top quality kennel prefixes or lines to advertise off).

The best advice I can give you is talk to the breeders of the dogs who you particularly like. If possible meet them at a nearby show or see if they have sold any pups near to you if you are looking interstate and ask to get into contact with them. Ask them what they consider the differences between show and pet animals and ask them why they thought this animal was pet over a litter mate. (obviously be careful how you ask that question - best done in person when looking at the dogs). I would suggest you doing some research before on the breed standard and what is expected of the animals so you have a general idea first.

Most important - JRT are terriers. Terrier by name and can be terrier by nature. Temperament is very important when looking at terrier breeds - (like all breeds really). You need to know if you have not had JRTs before what you are getting yourself in for. You need to know the good, the bad and the ugly when you are looking at your next dog if it is a breed that is new to you.