I Met Some Azawakhs

Kirislin

Only 9 in the country the lady who imported them tells me. Unusual dogs, very primitive, not sociable at all, and not bred to be. Very wary of people. I think she'd have to be careful who she sells them to.

This one meets Arkey, an Italian Greyhound who must have looked enough like a sighthound to be acceptable to it.

14040805532_0a1534483b_c.jpg

14040808922_439c247f09.jpg

14040812492_fb11fdf17e_c.jpg

roo roo roo!

14040822472_0e422b6b79_c.jpg

14040834231_2b5831cb1c_c.jpg

Edited by Kirislin

Only 9 in the country the lady who imported them tells me. Unusual dogs, very primitive, not sociable at all, and not bred to be. Very wary of people. I think she'd have to be careful who she sells them to.

With all the trouble & rules & regulations & restrictions we have here I can't understand why anyone would want to import, breed, show or sell dogs as described above.

Actually I can't even understand why anyone would want to own a dog like this either but each to their own.

With all the trouble & rules & regulations & restrictions we have here I can't understand why anyone would want to import, breed, show or sell dogs as described above.

Actually I can't even understand why anyone would want to own a dog like this either but each to their own.

Azawakh's are gentle and sociable with their own family but are largely disinterested in strangers and have a protective instinct absent in most (not all) sighthounds. This does not make them "dangerous" any more than a well bred Dobermann or other guarding breed is "dangerous".

This is one of the breeds on my list, such stunning dogs, though I don't know if I'll ever get around to owning one. I have no issue with dogs that don't care for others personally. Even my IG doesn't go fawning over people she doesn't know, usually she tolerates a pat then wants to keep moving.

I've heard it pronounced "oza-wok" too, but I'm not sure what's actually correct.

Azawakh's are gentle and sociable with their own family but are largely disinterested in strangers and have a protective instinct absent in most (not all) sighthounds. This does not make them "dangerous" any more than a well bred Dobermann or other guarding breed is "dangerous".

I agree with this description from what I saw of them.

Like most large sighthounds they have large litters.

I could imagine if I ever dedided to pull up stakes and took to the road with my all my worldly goods in a pack saddle, this would be the perfect dog to have trotting by my side. It would catch me dinner and protect me and my possessions.

Edited by Kirislin