Older Bitch Spay Incontinence

As the title states, has anyone tried corn silk for incontinence in an older spayed bitch?

I stumbled over corn silk when looking for raspberry leaf. I think someone on here mentioned raspberry leaf for incontinence, however, I couldn't find the thread & in my (limited) experience raspberry leaf seems to be more for uterine complaints. I couldn't find any lengthy discussion on corn silk with brief googling, but thought the DOL brains trust might know.

Also..... which form is best..... powder, capsule, tea?

Yoohoo, Steve? :D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help with a response but something I do like and am pleased about is seeing and hearing more and more people opening their eyes and minds to possible natural based remedies/treatments and investigating them as an aid or even an alternative to conventional drug therapy.

It doesn't mean we should turn our backs to that but I do think it's great that our minds are becoming increasingly enquiring, more open and aware.

It's also not to say that no one has been doing this as I know numerous have and likely for a considerable period of time, but it is good that this is becoming more 'out there' and more readily than previously.

Like anything, people should be very aware that what is good and right for one isn't necessarily good and right for the other and research towards possible down sides should be done before trialling, but in general, if it is something that is known safe and has the ability to assist and/or make better, that's fabulous.

Good luck with what you find out and what benefits. I'm always interested in reading as one never knows what's around the corner and the knowledge/experience share is good to have as a prompt for ideas to work with.

So I'll be looking forward to hearing how you get on. Hoping you have success.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on this:

I have had my girl on Corn Silk (Zea mays) tea for a little over a week. Since she started on the tea, we haven't had any incidence of flooding and any incontinence has been confined to infrequent dribbling. I am being more vigilant about giving her the opportunity to urinate, she has always had an iron bladder up until now, so I am not sure if it is the tea contributing to the improvement or not :confused:

However, I will keep the topic updated.

If anyone else has used corn silk, whether succesfully or not, please share!

Do you get this from a health shop ? You make it up as tea ?

Yes, I make approx half a tablespoon (it is very fibrous & difficult to measure so I pack it down in the measuring spoon well) to one cup of boiling water. Leave to steep & give 1 teaspoon of brew per 9kg of body weight twice per day. My girl is 24 kilos so I give her 3 tsps twice daily. She actually likes it & will lick it up. I make a cup in the morning which does both doses & chuck the rest out at night. It's cheap.... about $7 for a 50g box.

I think most health shops would stock it.

A lot of people have recommended sweet potato for spay incontinence lately. I haven't tried it, but it came from people I would trust.

That's interesting, Burkes. I wonder if that relates to carbohydrate levels (and keeping them down a bit). Just guessing and reflecting on snippets I've read here and there.

A lot of people have recommended sweet potato for spay incontinence lately. I haven't tried it, but it came from people I would trust.

That's interesting, Burkes. I wonder if that relates to carbohydrate levels (and keeping them down a bit). Just guessing and reflecting on snippets I've read here and there.

I'm going to follow this up too! Burkes.... who are the people you would trust?? :laugh:

OK, so 'we' :laugh: have been on the Corn Silk tea for two weeks.

Marles' hairy britches have been dry since the weekend with no discernible dribbling, so I would have to say it's working :thumbsup:

My vet is a total sceptic & disagrees, but who cares? :D

OK, so 'we' :laugh: have been on the Corn Silk tea for two weeks.

Marles' hairy britches have been dry since the weekend with no discernible dribbling, so I would have to say it's working :thumbsup:

My vet is a total sceptic & disagrees, but who cares? :D

:thumbsup:

Totally fascinating.

:thumbsup: for dry britches and thumbs down for the vet LOL. You are doing him/her out of business.

My youngest girl, Tamar 10+, is on propalin for life and, although it is only a drop because she is a light weight Maltese cross, she hates it.

I doubt she would lick the corn silk, but if it is just a small amount, I could still give it to her in a syringe.

Totally fascinating.

:thumbsup: for dry britches and thumbs down for the vet LOL. You are doing him/her out of business.

My youngest girl, Tamar 10+, is on propalin for life and, although it is only a drop because she is a light weight Maltese cross, she hates it.

I doubt she would lick the corn silk, but if it is just a small amount, I could still give it to her in a syringe.

Put it on food or in some milk, you have milk in your tea, don't you? :laugh:

Do you get this from a health shop ? You make it up as tea ?

Yes, I make approx half a tablespoon (it is very fibrous & difficult to measure so I pack it down in the measuring spoon well) to one cup of boiling water. Leave to steep & give 1 teaspoon of brew per 9kg of body weight twice per day. My girl is 24 kilos so I give her 3 tsps twice daily. She actually likes it & will lick it up. I make a cup in the morning which does both doses & chuck the rest out at night. It's cheap.... about $7 for a 50g box.

I think most health shops would stock it.

So how long do you leave it in the boiling water