Mackay Guide Dog Handler Victim Of Countless Attacks

Steph M

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2014/04/29/3994529.htm?site=tropic

Horrible article, but good to see some publicity without breed bias and also mentioning that being 'friendly' doesn't make it OK.

"

Liz Symons loves walking with her guide dog Amber, but 'countless' dog attacks have left her too scared to leave the house alone.

Mackay's only guide dog handler Liz Symons is pleading with people to be more responsible for their pets with a new survey showing 40 per cent of guide dogs have been attacked by another dog while working. (Laura Hegarty - ABC Multiplatform)

They say dogs are mans' best friends but everyone has experienced that moment of fear when a free roaming, large dog approaches, growling and barking.

Imagine experiencing that whilst blind.

That fear is what has left Liz Symons house bound for the past year, not daring to walk anywhere without the company of husband Gary or a friend.

Liz says she's lost count of how many times she and Amber have been attacked by off-lead dogs.

"I hear the other dog stop growling and I can feel Amber stiffen up and it's usually only a matter of seconds warning," said Liz.

"If it's a dog attack I have to let her go and she defends herself and I've got to try and stand still because I can't see anything anymore so as soon as I turn a bit, I'm disorientated and it's really dangerous if we're on the side of the road or on the road.

"It's terrifying. It's a matter of having to yell for people to come and help me from the houses.

"We haven't walked much in the last year because of the dog attacks we had early last year and 2012. We had quite a few just walking around the streets of Bucasia and that really has killed my confidence... so it's ruined my independence."

Take the lead

Liz lives in Bucasia in the northern beaches of Mackay. The area has an off-lead dog beach but the parks and streets are strictly lead only.

Liz says people need to become more responsible for their dogs but instead, carelessness and therefore attacks are increasing.

"It's just wrong, it shouldn't be happening. In 2014, people should be more enlightened, more caring, more responsible."

And Bucasia isn't the only place where guide dogs are being attacked by other dogs.

According to a new survey undertaken by Guide Dogs Australia on average three guide dogs a month were attacked by a pet dog while working during the past year.

The survey also found that one in four guide dogs attacked sustained injuries, with two guide dogs retired as a result of the trauma. Off-lead pet dogs were the cause of most attacks.

Liz says she's lucky Amber has been able to keep working despite the level of harassment she's experienced.

Considering the cane

Amber is now 10 years old and is soon due to retire. While Liz is on the list for a new dog, she's not sure she wants one.

"In all good faith I could not bring a new dog home to Mackay in eight months time, a dog that costs over $30, 000 and have it destroyed, ruined because that would be the end of its working life," she said.

She's instead considering taking up a white cane, but it's not a decision she'll make lightly.

"Walking with a guide dog is so much more natural and graceful, there's nothing to compare to a cane I don't think," she said.

"She [Amber] is like most pets times 100. She's part of our family, she goes everywhere with us, she sleeps in my bedroom she really is like one of the children."

Friendly dogs still distracting

Just because a dog is friendly and 'wouldn't hurt a fly' doesn't mean that it isn't a menace to Liz and Amber.

Any contact with another animal while working and guide dogs can become easily distracted.

"It only takes a second to distract if a dog runs up to Amber she might just turn her head to the left and take a couple more steps and walk me onto the road and off the side of the path into a hole. It becomes a dangerous situation," she said.

"I'm sick of being put through the trauma of trying to explain on every walk I go on to people that they need to have their dog on a lead because they're disrupting everybody's life, not just mine, but it affects me a lot more than ordinary people.""

What can you say? Sad, sad, sad. People are stupid, horrible, thoughtless.

If the owners of the roaming dogs can be found, which is difficult in this situation, of course, unless another person comes to Liz's aid and speaks up as a witness, they should be made to walk through an off leash park blindfolded.

Then again, people can be wonderful, caring, generous ...... I hope one of these can be found to accompany Liz and Amber on their walks.

Well if you are on a soapbox, VM, I will be joining you. People have to have signs on their dogs asking people not to pat eg "I am working".

Hard to comprehend really.

The very first thing I was ever taught by my grandparents about dogs was

Always ask the owner if it is acceptable to touch the dog. Never think it is OK otherwise.

Basic dog etiquette. imho.

Sighs.

That poor dog - not even having an owner capable of protecting it to any extent :mad It must be an issue for the Guide Dog Association to allow the owner to take possession of another dog with such a history of attacks on the first. Councils really should be stepping up a lot more to enforce the leash laws - especially when they know very well of problem spots.

Do we have any DOLers in Mackay who would be willing to reach out to this lady and accompany her on walks on different days so she can start to get out and about again? It is so sad she has a guide dog to give her independence and then these random attacks take it away.

Do we have any DOLers in Mackay who would be willing to reach out to this lady and accompany her on walks on different days so she can start to get out and about again? It is so sad she has a guide dog to give her independence and then these random attacks take it away.

Risk there is anyone helping may not being aware of the (expected) behaviour of the Guide Dog when in harness.

Principal is fine. Implementing may be more difficult.

This is only my thoughts but this dog may need to be re-assessed to determine its ability to do its job at the most optimum level.

Checks would need to be made to ensure no damage is done to the dog.

What a horrible situation.

Risk there is anyone helping may not being aware of the (expected) behaviour of the Guide Dog when in harness.

Principal is fine. Implementing may be more difficult.

This is only my thoughts but this dog may need to be re-assessed to determine its ability to do its job at the most optimum level.

Checks would need to be made to ensure no damage is done to the dog.

What a horrible situation.

The article says that Amber is 10 years old and "due to retire" - I think she should be retired now and allowed at least a few peaceful years. What happens to them when they retire though - are they rehomed to a suitable family? You would hope so after years of service.

The dogs are too valuable to risk placing in this same situation again - its not fair to the dog or the lady concerned.

The article says that Amber is 10 years old and "due to retire" - I think she should be retired now and allowed at least a few peaceful years. What happens to them when they retire though - are they rehomed to a suitable family? You would hope so after years of service.

The dogs are too valuable to risk placing in this same situation again - its not fair to the dog or the lady concerned.

I know of a retired Guide dog that was allowed to stay on living with his first & only human. The dog's name was Midas. He lived for several years after retiring, happy & treasured. He was also the best of friends with the second dog. They had the most amazing rapport.

:love:

The lady did say she wondered whether it was fair on the dog to get another, so she is feeling it on two fronts: her own and the dog's.

It is my understanding that Amber will stay with her whether she gets another Guide Dog or not.

I think Ams' thought is a good one. The person accompanying Liz could be "trained" by her to understand what the dog was doing, etc etc. Couldn't be too hard to just wander along and be a pair of eyes.

I wonder if she could take action against the council for failing to enforce the leash law, therefore discriminating against her as a disabled person by denying her the ability to use a guide dog on suburban streets.That would be interesting.

I was thinking more along the lines of just walking with her and run interference if another dog decides to act inappropriately. There would be no need to touch her dog, or have any interaction with her dog but be her eyes for other dogs on the loose and deal with them. It would be like going for a walk with a friend.

Edited by Ams

I was thinking more along the lines of just walking with her and run interference if another dog decides to act inappropriately. There would be no need to touch her dog, or have any interaction with her dog but be her eyes for other dogs on the loose and deal with them. It would be like going for a walk with a friend.

That's how I would see it too. Hopefully the newspaper article will elicit offers from walkers.

That's how I would see it too. Hopefully the newspaper article will elicit offers from walkers.

Except there is a dog trained to obey one person.

Should the walker yell out anything, the Guide dog may react. What then? As we are aware fights start in split seconds, could a call off command or similar be given?

I can not quite grasp how this might work...

If it was feasible, why have the different Guide Dog assocations never espoused this for their clientele.

Would be good to write Laura Hegarty and thank her for the article . . . and let the ABC know that Guide Dogs are in a sense, the coal mine canary. Attacks of other dogs by free ranging dogs is a widespread problem in Australia. This problem needs to be addressed, not only to protect the blind, but also to predict anyone taking their dog for a walk!

I saw a Guide Dog handler (blind person) on the local news tonight talking about this, obviously making the same points about off lead dogs and not interfering with the Guide Dog when it's working, but she also mentioned she'd appreciate even more if people walking their own dogs let her know they were there by just saying "hi, I have my dog here on lead, we're just waiting off the path" so she could be aware that her dog had another dog to contend with. I would certainly move out of the way myself and keep my dogs well clear but hadn't even thought of that little extra thing!