Dogue De Bordeaux / English Mastiff Puppy. New Pic's Of Kirby

BC Crazy

We used to scatter our boys dry food when he was a pup to slow him down, you can also get bowls with obstacles they have to eat around :)

We looked into bowls to help but our Doberman had one in his younger years that he chewed up! lol. Will try scattering food, she seems to be slowing as she's growing, probably because she doesn't have to compete with her siblings anymore. Thank you :)

What you can think of doing is having variety of how Kirby gets her food.

Scattered in the yard sometimes, muffin trays other times. When she is older her meals might be frozen meat that she can slowly chew.

My heart dog was the absolute garbage guts. Suck the meal down and throw it back up. What I did was change him to frozen meats & hand feed him for a few weeks until he actually slowed himslef down to eat. For us it was also great bonding.

One thing I do is never feed at the same time.

Good Luck with all of this.

:D

Thank you!

Feeding both at the same time never worked at all, we've started feeding our elder dog first, then Kirby as she needs to learn patience (little hungry hippo!).

She's found an interest to the kong now as well.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She is a hybrid of English and French mastiff (both parents were this cross). One of the advantages of breeding this hybrid (known as a Muscle mastiff (or Bordeaux mastiff)), is a lot of the recessive traits of either breed aren't matched leaving an overall healthier breed. (hybrid vigor)

Thank you so much for that clarification...I had the impression that her dam was a full Dogue (de Bordeaux) and her sire was a Mastiff x Dogue. Wait - a quick google tells me that Dogues are known as French Mastiffs in some countries and Bordeaux Bulldogs elsewhere, so I've learnt something thanks!!smile.gif I do know English Mastiff is a common misname for the breed here, as that is the breed name in America.

Hybrid vigour for a trait will only apply when a single one of the breeds in an F1 cross carry that trait. When both breeds carry the trait (as in the diseases I listed that were common to both) there is exactly the same chance as the pure blood in either breed. That is why health scoring of the parents is so very important.

And, I'm sorry to have to say, that in an F2 cross, rather than so-called hybrid vigour, puppies have chances of inheriting the recessive traits of different problems of BOTH grandparent breeds, even of traits not common between the two breeds.

If both her parents were this cross, then your girl is an F2 cross and hybrid vigour no longer applies. But my fingers are crossed for her and I know you will take all possible precautions. Wishing you the very best of luck.

She is a hybrid of English and French mastiff (both parents were this cross). One of the advantages of breeding this hybrid (known as a Muscle mastiff (or Bordeaux mastiff)), is a lot of the recessive traits of either breed aren't matched leaving an overall healthier breed. (hybrid vigor)

Thank you so much for that clarification...I had the impression that her dam was a full Dogue (de Bordeaux) and her sire was a Mastiff x Dogue. Wait - a quick google tells me that Dogues are known as French Mastiffs in some countries and Bordeaux Bulldogs elsewhere, so I've learnt something thanks!!smile.gif I do know English Mastiff is a common misname for the breed here, as that is the breed name in America.

Hybrid vigour for a trait will only apply when a single one of the breeds in an F1 cross carry that trait. When both breeds carry the trait (as in the diseases I listed that were common to both) there is exactly the same chance as the pure blood in either breed. That is why health scoring of the parents is so very important.

And, I'm sorry to have to say, that in an F2 cross, rather than so-called hybrid vigour, puppies have chances of inheriting the recessive traits of different problems of BOTH grandparent breeds, even of traits not common between the two breeds.

If both her parents were this cross, then your girl is an F2 cross and hybrid vigour no longer applies. But my fingers are crossed for her and I know you will take all possible precautions. Wishing you the very best of luck.

A lot of genetic diseases are spread across so many breeds that hybrid vigour isn't exactly a reality in most cross breeds these days, especially when you have a mix of very similar breeds.

The best way of making sure your pup has the best chance of a long and healthy life is going to a registered breeder that does the relevant genetic testing and scoring on the dam and sire. A lot of people still aren't aware this is being done so unfortunately the health issues of pure breeds in the past are still putting people off going to registered breeders now

But you already have Kirby in your life so fingers crossed she got the good genes :) and treat is as a learning experience for the future.

She is gorgeous btw :love:

It is clear you love her and will be putting a lot of effort into raising her as well as you can :)

As someone who has owned 3 giants, I find some of what you write almost painful for me to read.

It is unconscionable to defend a breeder who has bred giants without any health testing :( I appreciate your honesty when you said you fell in love with Kirby, it is clear you both love her very much :) but please do not defend the practices of your breeder who is breeding without health testing and sending pups off before 8 weeks of age.

I'm also concerned that you are completely over-estimating your ability to raise her in such a way that will minimise health problems. With a dog from non-health tested parents it is really a lottery and you'll either be lucky or you won't. I hope very much you will be lucky.

The science of preventing bloat had actually really not gotten too far yet. One study will show raising her food bowl will help prevent bloat, another will show it makes no difference, and it's like that with pretty much every thing you will read on the net about helping to prevent bloat. Probably the best thing you can do is get an experienced vet to perform a gastropexy at the time you get her desexed. This won't stop her bloating but will buy you time, and time is everything when a dog is bloating. But there is nothing you can definitively do to prevent bloat.

Look this doesn't mean don't enjoy her, or that you should live in constant anxiety that she is about to develop a serious health problem. But please be aware that just because the parents seemed ok to you doesn't mean that there hips and elbows weren't bad or that they haven't passed health problems into their offspring. Also in giant breed circles when you ask a breeder about the health of the dogs they have, and they tell you they have had no problems, then this is actually a red flag.

I know you are going to do the best by her, and I think she's gotten quite lucky to get owners like you. Enjoy her, don't live in constant anxiety over her health, but also don't be convinced that everything is just going to be fine. Look into health insurance for her or a starting account so you are prepared if or when things go wrong.

We have looked into bloat and know how to prevent it, it was a very big concern for us.

I knew as well , and did all the recommended things with feeding/exercise , etc ...my Dane X boy died from torsion :(

One thing with large dogs (two really) which you would have been told -keep 'em lean , grow em slow - and limit impact exercise for the growing period .

As soon as we adopted her she was fine without her siblings and mother, just so you guys know she wasn't in too much anxiety and stress! smile.gif

Actually - leaving mother/siblings at 8 weeks or later is NOT because of being upset etc - it is because between 6 weeks - 8 weeks is one of the MOST important learning times .It is when mum & siblings work on doggy communication , bite inhibition and doggy rules . if this is NOT learned properly ..a puppy/dog may literally not be able to communicate effectively when out & about , and can involve aggression/;fearfulness around other dogs .

It is clear you love her and will be putting a lot of effort into raising her as well as you can :)

As someone who has owned 3 giants, I find some of what you write almost painful for me to read.

It is unconscionable to defend a breeder who has bred giants without any health testing :( I appreciate your honesty when you said you fell in love with Kirby, it is clear you both love her very much :) but please do not defend the practices of your breeder who is breeding without health testing and sending pups off before 8 weeks of age.

I'm also concerned that you are completely over-estimating your ability to raise her in such a way that will minimise health problems. With a dog from non-health tested parents it is really a lottery and you'll either be lucky or you won't. I hope very much you will be lucky.

The science of preventing bloat had actually really not gotten too far yet. One study will show raising her food bowl will help prevent bloat, another will show it makes no difference, and it's like that with pretty much every thing you will read on the net about helping to prevent bloat. Probably the best thing you can do is get an experienced vet to perform a gastropexy at the time you get her desexed. This won't stop her bloating but will buy you time, and time is everything when a dog is bloating. But there is nothing you can definitively do to prevent bloat.

Look this doesn't mean don't enjoy her, or that you should live in constant anxiety that she is about to develop a serious health problem. But please be aware that just because the parents seemed ok to you doesn't mean that there hips and elbows weren't bad or that they haven't passed health problems into their offspring. Also in giant breed circles when you ask a breeder about the health of the dogs they have, and they tell you they have had no problems, then this is actually a red flag.

I know you are going to do the best by her, and I think she's gotten quite lucky to get owners like you. Enjoy her, don't live in constant anxiety over her health, but also don't be convinced that everything is just going to be fine. Look into health insurance for her or a starting account so you are prepared if or when things go wrong.

wise words . Health insurance is a MUST , I think :) Pups have a habit of scaring us silly with one thing & another ;)

wise words . Health insurance is a MUST , I think :) Pups have a habit of scaring us silly with one thing & another ;)

Not really off topic but Horrible Herbert will chew anything & everything. I see 'objects' in the motions & freak.

PTL for pet insurance not needed yet.

Back to the lovely Kirby

:D

Yep I knew about Bloat, did everything that was current at the time to try to reduce it and had a bitch bloat three times - yes she had a gastroplexy. She survived because I recognised signs very early, was a vet nurse at my vets and when I called he flew down there and had her on the table as quickly as was humanly possible.

Please be very careful with Bloat. So many die from it even with people who do know what to look for.

Please be very careful with Bloat. So many die from it even with people who do know what to look for.

I second this.

Dear friend who breeds Neos, came home to one of her girls 'looking poorly'.

Immedidate & correct reaction was off to the Vet for surgery.

Vet swore this action saved the life of the bitch.

:cry:

Quick up regarding Miss Kirby. Shannon & Maddie took Kirby girl to the Vet yesterday for full check up & Vacc. C5 etc. She is beaming with good health. Got the all clear :thumbsup: Which is terrific news & a credit to her owners. She is perfect weight, on the learn side. Heart etc perfect. Shannon got her front legs checked to make sure Kirby wasn't going over on them & they are fine as well. And the Vet fell in love with her too by all accounts :laugh: She was a very well behaved baby girl. One very happy grand parent here. So far so good.

Phew :happydance2:

Edited by BC Crazy

I know DA :) it is a wonder you can see them the pic's are soooooo small :laugh:

I might see if Shannon can resize them for me cause it's a shame really. The one of Maddison holding her

is just beautiful. They are both so pretty.