Susan Garrett Recallers Online Course

It took Waldo about 2 goes at the name calling game to get that if he turned his head so we can get his collar he got a treat quicker. Wish this darling would be as cooperative in the ring without treats....before our next trial!

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TSD! Why haven't you taught that cat to pivot yet :provoke: he's clearly keen to give it a go!

Leah, I'm sure my other dog Digby would not be so keen on the collar-grab either, he is a very soft dog.

Obviously I don't know... but I wonder if you could play a modified version of the game with Sarah where she just has to look at your OH? Anyway obviously better to ask on the recaller's forum before giving it a go. :)

Can I ask what you did when Collie wouldn't go to your OH in that game? I honestly wasn't 100% sure what to do when Del didn't go to the right human. What we ended up doing was spreading out a bit more, and when she went to the wrong person the right person would go to her and take her by the leash.

TSD! Why haven't you taught that cat to pivot yet :provoke: he's clearly keen to give it a go!

Leah, I'm sure my other dog Digby would not be so keen on the collar-grab either, he is a very soft dog.

Obviously I don't know... but I wonder if you could play a modified version of the game with Sarah where she just has to look at your OH? Anyway obviously better to ask on the recaller's forum before giving it a go. :)

Can I ask what you did when Collie wouldn't go to your OH in that game? I honestly wasn't 100% sure what to do when Del didn't go to the right human. What we ended up doing was spreading out a bit more, and when she went to the wrong person the right person would go to her and take her by the leash.

I didn't read the FAQs until this morning so we kind of just ended the game and OH got Collie to do a couple of tricks. Next time though we'll get OH to have better treats and maybe move closer.

Not sure why he didn't go, he's definitely a daddy's boy. I guess he just knows where the treats come from :p

Edit: and I don't want to push Sarah into having a better relationship with OH, it is improving very slowly and I'm hoping recallers will help her confidence in general

Edited by Leah82

Hey Leah - has OH done a "collar touch" with Sarah (as opposed to a collar grab)? I'd be doing that with MASSIVELY high value treats.

Zig is the same with the whole sitting at doors thing…a little slow on the uptake lol. Em was slow to sit the other day so I shut the door on her and went back to my chair. She went off her banana scrabbling at my leg and barking. Very funny but it was just what she needed as she is super quick to hold a sit now even if Zig is still mulling over his choice :D

Sue - your lad will get there. Remember this is the basic level of the game on which you build the other layers :)

raineth - I really need to do some shaping with Dizzy as he is so food motivated!

Generally when they don't go to the correct person I will just have another person call - but if they are "sticky" I re-set them using the collar grab. With Zig today I had both dogs out - if he refused to go to Mr TSD we just switched to playing with Em. Zig started following her lead and racing back and forth, then we'd switch to him again so he could have some success. Today we switched to cheese :) Both dogs will work for me for cardboard which is handy but I just needed to build some value for Mr TSD.

Hmmm I've just been looking at the crate games and I'm thinking I am going to have to do a lot of problem solving to get this to work with a Great Dane. Our crate is just not that manoeuvrable!

I'm still working on the Collar Grab with Sarah, OH can't get near her if he's standing up and even if he's crouched down Collie has to be in the mix for Sarah to have the courage to go near him, she'll lick his nose (if offered) but if his hand goes to pat her she'll jump back.

She's still very much a work in progress, I don't like to use her history as an excuse but it's definitely something I need to consider going forward to help overcome her issues.

At the end of the day she's still learning how to learn, she didn't even know how to sit when I first got her at 7 years old

Which game is the best purely for building relationship with handler and drive?

I would probably consider the crate games DVD. I know these core games and use them a lot but I am picking up so many more nuances from watching the videos and re-reading the instructions.

Leah - definitely do it at Sarah's pace. Think about what you've got and what you want. Maybe with your OH you just want a hand movement and treat to begin with. But keep upping the ante with you.

Heh heh - need pics raineth :D

We revised crate games today. Em barked intensely when I didn't start working with her but she shut up much more quickly. Both dogs were doing Yer out - Yer in. Putting the leash on blew Em's mind - ha!

Which game is the best purely for building relationship with handler and drive?

My favourites are some of the ones coming up soon - PB&J, Cookies in the Corner, Restrained Recalls :)

Nitro really enjoys IYC and Crate Games, but Kaos who I only started these as an adult, is not as enthusiastic with them.

turns out Collie is a natural with crate games :thumbsup:

I got him to yer in, yer out in about 10 minutes. He didn't go to leave once and I kept upping the distractions, even dropping bits of cheese outside the door, he didn't even flinch.

Once we got to yer in, yer out he didn't even want to leave the crate, and when he did he turned around and went straight back in again :D

We'll see what happens when we get to the car though and he knows he's going somewhere :p

I got an email saying the course reopened so I said Screw It and threw all my money out the window. :cry:

I'm in. :D I will probably have almost no time for it but will make time! Really hoping to improve my relationship with Breeze and build more motivation & drive in her even without treats! For relationship building I recently did the personal play course with Denise Fenzi but I struggled a little bit as Breeze is quite reserved. Hoping we can get some new ideas out of this course!

I'm silentchild on there too. :o

Edited by silentchild

Wonderful! Welcome all over again - I make a habit of downloading all the PDFs and web pages each day. Don't worry if you get behind as there is a 1-2 week break mid way so you can catch up. Have fun!

So glad you mentioned the mid way break TSD. I am sooooo far behind with this and my Fenzi courses, between work and trialling (including the double DWD comp in Melbourne this past weekend) .. but after this coming weekend of double obedience double rally, I have 2 weeks of holidays .. should be able to catch up a bit. :)

I think my dog's fave is the 1-2-3 game - ie trying to fake her into breaking a start line stay and then releasing for a chase and play. Often that works better for getting her back to me than a recall.

After I learned some of these games I used to get stroppy at dog club when they were suggesting we all creep around carefully and quietly around practice stays...

NOOOO - you need to practice distractions...

How did you go??? Will check the thread :D

I have no dog car at the moment (engine being replaced at mechanic's expense - long story) so am house bound apart from juggling cars for work. Hence, working hard at my thesis and the course is keeping me SANE giving me a break from statistics and writing. Had to forgo my last retrieving trial :cry: and all things crossed for my car by next weekend.

I feel really confused and frustrated by the crate games.

From the looks of it, you get most of the value once you start to use the crate in other locations (there is a bit that mentions you should do crate games in the presence of every distraction that you would need to recall your dog under.)

Well I can hardly get the crate out of our bedroom, let alone down to the local park. The crate doesn't even fit in the car. It fits in one of the cars, but once it's in, there is no room for the dog.

I think at the very least there is no way I can expect her to sit without buying a new crate as she has to duck her head a bit as it reaches the roof of the crate.

I wonder if I can get through some of the program at home, whether I could do the same by using a tie-out and a matt instead?

Is there a point to the Crate Games other than getting the dog to enjoy being in the crate? My dog already naturally loves the crate and stays quietly inside wherever we go - but at trials I want her to be ready and bursting out the crate wanting to work with me, not choose to stay inside at the back of the crate? Have I got it wrong? :confused:

raineth,

From memory, once you have mastered the basics of Crate Games you can transfer that to something else such as a dog bed, chair or table. So I would do Crate Games at home in whatever location you can to the point where you have good understanding - will sit in crate when you touch door, wait for release, YOYI, will go into crate from a distance etc. and then start with dog bed or something else, starting in same location. The only difficulty with using something else is that you don't have a door to close for inappropriate responses. SG often has her dogs on an agility table while waiting their turn.

Another thing you could consider is getting an xpen? They generally are lighter and fold up smaller than a crate, and have a door.

Edited by Kavik

Is there a point to the Crate Games other than getting the dog to enjoy being in the crate? My dog already naturally loves the crate and stays quietly inside wherever we go - but at trials I want her to be ready and bursting out the crate wanting to work with me, not choose to stay inside at the back of the crate? Have I got it wrong? :confused:

Yes, that is the whole point of Crate Games! That they will release from the crate straight to you and ready to work! What are you up to? If your dog chooses to stay in the crate when you release, you just need to look at the value. Release, wait to see their response, you can wait them out a bit, and if they don't release, close the door and try again. If they come out, have a party! This is where the changed my mind game comes in handy! I find keeping session short, fast and fun helps! I do YOYI, then release and collar grab, send back in, maybe repeat from other side or a different angle, then send them in and do changed my mind, do a few other fun fast games, send him in etc. Have you read the FAQs? Do you have the DVD?