Weaning Puppies

tesslc

We've decided to keep them with mum until 8 weeks. As we are in a high risk Parvo area, our vet recommends vaccinating at 6 weeks, not waiting until 8 weeks, because it is too risky. Particularly at this time of year when parvo virus is becoming active and they are seeing more dogs coming in sick.

The only reason we were going to rehome her at 6 weeks was because our breeder didn't have an issue with it, and subsequently, neither did our vet. We are keeping the other pup for a couple of months because my mother-in-law has a lady staying with her at the moment and she has a dog. There is no issue with us keeping her for longer, but my brother is keen to get their new family member. In saying this, they do want to do what's best for her, and are happy for us to hold onto her for longer.

Our vet (who has years of experience breeding german shepards) was surprised that the pups were still feeding from mum now. I can see that this is a point of contention and I'm not going to get into an argument about whether forcibly weaning is in the pups best interests because, at the end of the day, I don't really see how I can without keeping her completely seperate, which isn't fair on anyone.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am glad you are keeping them for a bit longer.

I am also very surprised at the vet's take on things ......... and a bit sad that they are passing on such information to new breeders like yourself :(

and - good - we have another 2 weeks worth of photos :)

Our vet (who has years of experience breeding german shepards) was surprised that the pups were still feeding from mum now. I can see that this is a point of contention and I'm not going to get into an argument about whether forcibly weaning is in the pups best interests because, at the end of the day, I don't really see how I can without keeping her completely seperate, which isn't fair on anyone.

With litters there's not black and white table of what to do! Sometimes it would help.

girl sounds like a wonderful Momma and your photos show the proof of this with those beautiful puppies.

You have do so wonderfully well with this litter. :D

I do have to say it is fantastic that you are open to other opinions and then take on what is said.

Years ago our Kelpie bitch decided after two weeks she wanted nothing to do with her pups - that was fun - not! My own bitch got to around 5 to 5 and a half weeks and then when nope, they are yours. I have known others to be merrily feeding after 8. Each one is different.

I do have to say it is fantastic that you are open to other opinions and then take on what is said.

Years ago our Kelpie bitch decided after two weeks she wanted nothing to do with her pups - that was fun - not! My own bitch got to around 5 to 5 and a half weeks and then when nope, they are yours. I have known others to be merrily feeding after 8. Each one is different.

Reminded me of the old Vizsla boy's Momma. She had whelped 12 puppies that lived. She had made it obvious to them there was no milk AND no teeth on her tender nipples.

Each time the new owners came to collect their puppy, she allowed each to 'hang off' the milk bar. It was like a final farewell I chooose to think.

:laugh:

Thanks guys - I have to say I am really proud of our girl. She has done so well, particularly because she is so young (actually one year today)! I am quite surprised that she still lets them feed - I've had those guys bite me and not let go and it HURTS! I don't envy her her job!

Dad is great with them too and I'm glad mum lets him interact with them - she'll happily let them trail after him into another room (probably glad for a bit of a break).

I was hoping being a mum would settle her down a bit, she's so hyperactive all the time, but it hasn't. In fact, I think it's made her worse, although that could be because she's not getting her daily walks. Thankfully, once the pups have been vaccinated, we can start walking her again. Hopefully she will calm down after that a little bit.

Thanks guys - I have to say I am really proud of our girl. She has done so well, particularly because she is so young (actually one year today)! I am quite surprised that she still lets them feed - I've had those guys bite me and not let go and it HURTS! I don't envy her her job!

Dad is great with them too and I'm glad mum lets him interact with them - she'll happily let them trail after him into another room (probably glad for a bit of a break).

I was hoping being a mum would settle her down a bit, she's so hyperactive all the time, but it hasn't. In fact, I think it's made her worse, although that could be because she's not getting her daily walks. Thankfully, once the pups have been vaccinated, we can start walking her again. Hopefully she will calm down after that a little bit.

A litter does nothing to settle a bitch, it's training hard work and maturity that does it.

She needs to learn where the off switch is