Duke's Last Day

Steph M

I saw this the other day.

So beautiful yet so sad.

I haven't had to put down a dog yet, my parents always took the dogs without me as i was young. And my previous dog died suddenly at 7yo from a heart attack/stroke, so i didnt even have to watch him get old.

Not looking forward to that day :(

denali, it will stay with you forever and most people are guilt ridden forever not knowing if they held onto them for too long. Well a lot of people are.

I had to put my own dogs down and in both cases I just can't move on and I feel very very guilty about my first, I held on too long and he suffered for it, my BF's parents had his dog put down last night, he was there when I had my second done and he feels he can't go through it again, so it's all too fresh right now.

It's such a hard thing. It'll be three years since Hank but I still can't walk past that vet. I had gone too far with a rescued guinea pig and since then have resolved not to make my animals go through stuff they can't understand.

We came home from Saturday coffee and Hank couldn't stand properly. He had bad arthritis in his back and I knew it was time but I took him to the vet. She kept him in for two nights on morphine to see if he would recover. They wouldn't let us in on the Sunday. I can't bear thinking about him there by himself. She said he was on morphine and wouldn't know us but he knew us on the Monday morning.

I think I would prefer to err on the side if too early next time.

My vet says you can't do it too early but you can definitely do it too late.

I've lost many dogs in the last few years, it's never an easy decision but I won't ever be selfish and keep them going because I know how much it's going to hurt me. I don't want them to suffer and if it is within my power to prevent that, then I always will.

I always stay with them and depending on what is wrong, I will try and take BBQ chicken with me or similar treats to feed them as they fall asleep ...

We also held on too long with a family cat growing up (she was 21, we'd had her since a kitten) and she ended up disappearing and presumably dying alone :( I'll never forget mum saying she regrets holding on to long so never want to do that myself.

My only own pet I've had put to sleep so far was another cat, 19 years old, she had had what I suspect was a stroke and was nearly non-responsive. Rather than put her through tests I let her go. I know if it was me I'd rather go too soon than too late.

I've been with quite a number of shelter dogs now and it is generally quite a peaceful experience for them, at least we try our best to make it so. They get spoilt with yummy food, attention and hugs on their last day and I spend the time between when they are sedated and when they get the final injection holding them, talking to them and being calm and happy. I don't want them to feel any stress from me so tears come afterwards. Whatever the reason for their euthanasia, I take comfort knowing they will never suffer again.

Over the years I have had to have a number of dogs and cats puts down. One was my husbands cat and I think it was left too long. He was comatose by the time he was taken to the vet. It should have been done a good day and a half before.

Having worked in the veterinary industry I would never allow my pets to go too long. I would prefer they go early than suffer.

I had my hors eput down. She had cancer, we had removed it, it came back and went internally as far as the vet could feel. She was very stoic and quiet, a rescue and had been badly treated. She looke d amillion dollars when she was put down a week later as I knew I wouldn't know how much pain she was in until she suddenly couldn't get up, got colic whatever. I did not want her to get to that point. It half killed me the day I did it, but I am glad I did as she looked fantastic, could walk herself to where she needed ot be, was surrounded by people she loved and went quietly. Majestic to the end.

Oh geez.... How very beautiful & so very sad :cry:

Yep, I think it's the hardest thing in the world to do but also the kindest. When I gave my rescue heart dog Border Collie his wings I had him booked in this particular day in the afternoon but during the morning he lapsed into a coma at home. So I carried him to the car & we made 'our last car ride' to the Vet. I will never forget it, it was the longest drive ever. It was amazing though because when he was on the Vets table just before he had his last needle, I had me arms around him & he actually half woke up, moaned & looked right into my eye's, licked my face as if to say 'bye for now' then he was gone.... Gosh he was a beautiful soul :heart: