Dogue De Bordeaux People.....

Melsmells

Can anyone experienced with this breed let me know if a pup with an overshot jaw, is likely to correct itself?

Should the pup before purchase already display the correct undershot jaw?

Would a pup destined for the show ring at an early age be disqualified for this?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not your breed experienced but both my Border Collies over shots & are definitely not suitable for the showing due to their incorrect bite unfortunately.

Answer to 2nd question... can it correct itself ?

It can in some cases it can but there are no promises. My boy was about 5ml overshot when I brought him home at 9 weeks & by 11 months of age when his jaw had finished growing his jaw almost corrected it self . He is only 1mm overshot.

My girl was more severely overshot 8mm at 12 weeks but hers

didn't improve at all with maturity at all.

Edited by BC Crazy

Don't mean to a downer on your dreams at all but if I were you & wanting a show puppy, I'd be shopping around. As a correct bite is just so important in a showie it would be a deal breaker for me if the puppy is an overshot. Take your time, look around you will find a puppy in your chosen breed with correct bite.

Good luck in chasing your dream. Keep us posted :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Good question persephone because when I went to view either of my guys I was told they werent for showing & only available on limited register. There were no ifs or buts.

Edited by BC Crazy

Who says what you can or can't do with your own dog? :)

The contract you sign when you buy a pedigreed dog , registered with the appropriate controlling body , I believe. It endeavours to keep breeds to a standard of health and appearance .

Who says what you can or can't do with your own dog? :)

Dogs have to be on main register to show, breeders choose whether they go on main or limited :) They are not going to put pups on main register which have a more obvious fault for the showring.

Good question persephone because when I went to view either of my guys I was told they werent for showing & only available on limited register. There were no ifs or buts.

You will not be able to show this dog if it is on Limited Register and if it were me and the bite is not right now I would not take the chance. My advise would be to not buy this puppy if you want to show it. There is a possibility the bite will improve in time but there is also the possibility it will deteriorate further. Not a risk worth taking in my opinion.

Would a pup destined for the show ring at an early age be disqualified for this?

It is stated in the Breed Standards here in Australia

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportions to its degree.

Serious Faults - Pronouncedly undershot mouth

Gay tail (trumpet tail) [curved over the back]

Sizes larger or smaller than the limits allowed.

Disqualifying Faults - Overshot mouth

Accentuated convergence or divergence of the facial-cranial axes

[Dish- or down-faced]

Bridge of nose concave or convex or very aquiline (Roman nose).

Total lack of pigmentation on the nose.

Total lack of pigmentation on the upper and lower eye lids.

Wall eye; cross eyed. Absence of wrinkles, folds and dewlap.

Absence of tail, whether congenital or artificial.

Extensive white patches; white markings on the head.

Breeders I know never allow such a puppy to leave their kennels unless on Limited register and desexed if this fault exists.

What if the jaw does correct itself after time? I mean fair enough it's probably still not desirable for breeding, but can you "re-register" for showing (just for the fun of it)?

Sorry for the threadjack :o

Edited by Things

Not to my knowledge Things. Limited Reg. is just that not allowed to be shown nor breed from. The breeder has made that decision & in my opinion has earned that right. I respected that decision when I purchased both of mine. A very experienced breeder, like where my boy is from well they just know after a quick look & feel what is show quality & what isn't. My boy's bite almost corrected itself but it didn't. An overshot pup is disqualified straight away for incorrect bite. It can be the best looking pup in the world. Unfortunately they are the rules.

I can participate in any form of dog sports I like though. Flyball, Agility, DWD, tracking etc. Just not conformation showing or breeding.

By showing is it just assumed you're intending to breed, or do people do it just for fun too? I remember my mother used to show dogs years ago, but never bred. In which case if the jaw corrects itself after time and the dog looks perfectly fine, not sure why you shouldn't be allowed to show (but perhaps not breed) it. Interesting anyway .. I guess you also get the smaller regional "just for fun" dog shows, too.

Edited by Things

Hmmm Things ,I don't think it's just assumed, no. There are lots of people that just show & don't breed & there are lots that breed & show. I'm hoping to get a show dog but I certainly don't ever have the desire to breed BC's, as much as I love them because I know I wouldn't be able to sell any of the puppies. I'm more than happy to leave that to the reg. breeders.

I have never heard of a pup being sold on limited reg. then re registering the same pup on mains. I doubt it happens.

Edited by BC Crazy